Options

Seeing famous people in unexpected places?

21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
Forum Member
Have you ever bumped into a famous person when they're not doing their job?

This was inspired by something that happened to me this afternoon in Waitrose. I was talking to a member of staff when quite an abrubt woman in a huge fur coat (she reminded me of Edina from Absolutley Fabulous) came and asked him where her trolley was- as apparently she'd lost it. The member of staff commented after she'd gone on what a strange request that was. A few minutes later I was standing in the queue and I saw the woman again with her husband- who happened to be none other than Jarvis Cocker (Pulp icon!)

I'd never approach a celebrity on their day-off but I was mildly excited to see one of my musical heroes buying milk!

Have you ever saw a famous person in an unexpected place? And would you ever approach them?!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No and no.

Why should I? They have a hole in their bum as much as I have and will die at some point as will I.
  • Options
    TheMagic8ballTheMagic8ball Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met Will Smith at a screening of the Karate Kid last year, so I don't know if that counts, it was a surprise appearance, and technically he wasn't on the job.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was having a mini break in London when I saw Gail Porter walking down the street with her daughter. It was incredibly exciting. I also saw Paul Rankin in Tesco, if any of you know who he is.

Edit: I was having a drink in the pub in Belfast almost ten years ago when I saw Alex Higgins potting a few balls :D
  • Options
    Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    I saw the whole of JLS in a motorway service station at 4am in the morning just after their first no1, (beat again or something) eating Burger kings and no i didnt approach them fair few people about but no teenage girls really so they were left in peace and they werent quite as famous as they are now i suppose.

I also saw Angelina Jolie up close and personal literally opened a door to the female toilets and she was on the other side in it was in Veeraswamy on regent street (indian restaurant) she smiled and her whole face lit up was like an angel smiling at you i just grinned like a complete fking idiot and held the door for her sort of astounded by how incredibly beauitful she was up close then stared as she walked out and away to her table, she was with a group of about 6 people and they were paying and leaving.
  • Options
    tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw Ronnie O'Sullivan in Waitrose when I was in the coffee shop having a drink.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often see Ian Brown in Sainsbury's.
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have served Jack Straw in a shop.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met Bob Carolgees in a hotel bar once.
  • Options
    Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    Clint Eastwood fishing. Nice bloke, very down to Earth but unmistakeably Eastwood.. He took the time for a chat, a photo and to sign a magazine I had with me (it was the only thing available).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »
    Clint Eastwood fishing. Nice bloke, very down to Earth but unmistakeably Eastwood.. He took the time for a chat, a photo and to sign a magazine I had with me (it was the only thing available).

Wow!

Was this in the UK?
  • Options
    TheMagic8ballTheMagic8ball Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »
    I have served Jack Straw in a shop.

Did he only pay half the expenses? :p
  • Options
    Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    Wow!

Was this in the UK?

No, the States back in 2003.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Russell Grant walked passed me in Cardiff city centre once. He was very small.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Jamie Cullum at the head of the queue at the US Embassy in London. We were there to get our immigration visas he was there to pick up whatever visa he needed. Turned out he was touring the US the same time as we arrived there.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum once served the lead singer of Showaddywaddy, in our local branch of Wilkinsons, and once, when being met off a train by my mum at Sheffield Railway Station, I saw Roy Hattersley with (I presume) his wife.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chocdoc wrote: »
    Russell Grant walked passed me in Cardiff city centre once. He was very small.

Is it wrong that i'm impressed by that??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    Is it wrong that i'm impressed by that??

You're not the only one!

I wonder if he was dressed in the velveteen pajama's he always seems to be decked out in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloegin wrote: »
    Jamie Cullum at the head of the queue at the US Embassy in London. We were there to get our immigration visas he was there to pick up whatever visa he needed. Turned out he was touring the US the same time as we arrived there.

I saw him in Nobu once.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Celeb dog Cadbury being walked by some grey haired bloke :)

(I meet off-duty celebs all the time. Comes with living and working where I do.)
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tellytart1 wrote: »
    I saw Ronnie O'Sullivan in Waitrose when I was in the coffee shop having a drink.

I saw him wandering the sock department in M&S in Sheffield very early one Saturday morning, looking like a total sruff and grinning like a loon. To be fair, he had just tweeted that he was in M&S buying socks, and as I was downstairs in ladieswear I thought it would be rude not to go upstairs.
  • Options
    missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've served a few kinda famous people in my shop...Lorraine Chase, the Olympian David Hemery, Andy Partridge from XTC and Julian Cope.

*Awaits Stoatie and the not at all impressive person he met once* :D
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    An old aunt of mine, long gone and sadly missed, was on her lunch break at the university where she taught. This was when she was a young woman. As she was walking across the quadrangle back to her room who should she bump into but the Emperor Haile Salas in full regalia including a sword.
    When she told her colleagues they thought she was a bit doolally.
    Sure enough at the beginning of the next term the Emperor's son started a course. The Emperor had been there to look the place over.:)
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    I often see Hilda Ogden shopping in Southport where she lives. I think she likes to live there because nobody ever hassles her and she is allowed her anonymity She looks fantastic and has worn well.
  • Options
    MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dermot O'Leary in Oxford Street. We were just after leaving our hotel on the corner of TCR and bumped into him. He's very short but very handsome.

Edit to say I also say Sharon Stone walking down a side street in Ios Greece back in early 90's. She was very pretty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Les Dennis was in front of me in Hampstead Starbucks once. Of all the famous people who live in Hampstead, I had to bump into friggin' Les Dennis!