Options

Russia says Britain is a small island nobody cares about

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,645
Forum Member
✭✭✭
'David Cameron was left furious at the G20 summit after Russia dismissed Britain as “a small island that nobody listens to”.'
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/g20-summit-russia-dismisses-britain-2254433

Comments

• Options
    jack_kerouacjack_kerouac Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps if the "humiliated" David Cameron, had wound his neck in when he went to G20 instead of his " truely desperate" attempt to be a world leader by organising a £53 million Aid commitee, it might have been better.

Dave just cant see he is unpopular with many world leaders as well as his own party.
    His desperate clammy PR efforts to boost his own ego is embarassing to the UK in front of world leaders.

Better he went to the G20 with humility and dignity.

By the way ....where did the cash strapped UK suddenly get £53 million to throw at Syria. ( we all know it will go to rebel tanks bought from UK companies ? ;-)
  • Options
    oncemoreoncemore Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    isn't one of the main reasons Putin is stirring up so much stuff because he needs to appeal to Russian conservatives? It would explain the gay rights thing and this 'standing up to the US' thing.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It made me and OH both lol when we heard it. It's about right, I reckon.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are quite correct Mr Putin we are a small island, which is why I'm sure you will understand why we continually refuse your requests to relax our visa system for Russians citizens, we simply don't have the room.

We are happy to take your rich oligarch's who robbed the Russian people of their rightful wealth in the early 90's though. Also coming from a free country we respect your spokesman's right to have any opinion he likes.

We started off as a small European country that nobody paid much attention too. Defeated all the bigger powers and created probably the biggest empire ever, a lot bigger than yours ever was. Now after sixty years of post imperial decline, we are retired and apart from our deluded politicians and diplomats, don't feel the obsessive need to prove we are a great power anymore.

Just out of interest if no one pays any attention to us, why do you continually fly your antiquated cold war bombers so close to British airspace, that we have to sent up our superior modern interceptors?

You were doing really well on Syria and the G20 looks great, I totally agree with most of your Syrian position, shame you had to spoil it after you spokesman had one to many Vodkas. :D
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

By the way ....where did the cash strapped UK suddenly get £53 million to throw at Syria
    . ( we all know it will go to rebel tanks bought from UK companies ? ;-)

I am sure that Miliband and Balls will come up with their oft-used stock phrase it is "too little too late" and would probably added a naught on the end of that figure and threw it to them three weeks ago.
  • Options
    JunipertJunipert Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder why their RT broadcaster spends so much time talking about Britain, mostly negatively.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Russia GDP 1.8B USD.
    UK GDP 2.5B USD

Small island but an economy which overshadows them.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't help picturing a naughty schoolboy being told to
    Sit down and shut up. The grown ups are talking.

Thirty odd years ago Maggie T, for all her perceived faults, would not have tolerated that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kinda like the fact that Russia just don't give a shlt what the US and UK think and have the balls to just say it straight.

Anyway this just seems like a dig at Cam not getting the votes last week:o
  • Options
    Al_LocqueAl_Locque Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    It`s difficult to disagree with that assessment of this country`s rapidly declining status, with the country now largely de-industrialised, and an economy that now seems to be based on service industries and financial services,and most importantly in international terms, armed forces now so depleted that they are rapidly becoming to resemble a local gendarmerie.which all makes Cameron`s grandstanding on the international stage looking increasingly ridiculous,
  • Options
    Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron fights back.:D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2413595/David-Cameron-hits-Russias-gibe-Britain-just-small-island-pays-attention-to.html

quote:
    Britain may be a small island, but I would
    challenge anyone to find a country with a prouder history, a bigger heart or greater resilience.

'Britain is an island that has helped to clear the European continent of fascism - and was resolute in doing that throughout World War Two.

'Britain is an island that helped to abolish slavery, that has invented most of the things worth inventing, including every sport currently played around the world, that still today is responsible for art, literature and music that delights the entire world.

'We are very proud of everything we do as a small island - a small island that has the sixth-largest economy, the fourth best-funded military, some of the most effective diplomats, the proudest history, one of the best records for art and literature and contribution to philosophy and world civilisation.

'For the people who live in Northern Ireland, I should say we are not just an island, we are a collection of islands. I don't want anyone in Shetland or Orkney to feel left out by this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'that has invented most of the things worth inventing"

haha that made me laugh.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Russia, or one person in Russia?
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'David Cameron was left furious at the G20 summit after Russia dismissed Britain as “a small island that nobody listens to”.'
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/g20-summit-russia-dismisses-britain-2254433

Yep so 'small' that the uber rich Russian oligarchs can't buy enough houses or property in to safeguard their dubiously obtained wealth.

Hopefully DC will listen to parliament and the people and not march us off to war like il presidente Blair did.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    'that has invented most of the things worth inventing"

haha that made me laugh.

It is actually true - including for example the programmable electronic computer (University of Manchester Institute of Technology). The steam engine. commercial jets, TV, Radar.

The list is long and distinguished.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he was just teasing.

Russia is a much more influential nation in the world today anyway.

Gone are the days where small nations or even city-states could play a part in world affairs like they did hundreds of years ago like the British, Spanish, Dutch or even Venice.

There should really be only four permanent security council members. USA, Russia, China and the EU.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Russia GDP 1.8B USD.
    UK GDP 2.5B USD

Small island but an economy which overshadows them.

What would our economy be though if you took out the nail parlours, hairdresser shops, and payday lenders?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron fights back.:D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2413595/David-Cameron-hits-Russias-gibe-Britain-just-small-island-pays-attention-to.html

quote:
    Britain may be a small island, but I would
    challenge anyone to find a country with a prouder history, a bigger heart or greater resilience.

'Britain is an island that has helped to clear the European continent of fascism - and was resolute in doing that throughout World War Two.

'Britain is an island that helped to abolish slavery, that has invented most of the things worth inventing, including every sport currently played around the world, that still today is responsible for art, literature and music that delights the entire world.

'We are very proud of everything we do as a small island - a small island that has the sixth-largest economy, the fourth best-funded military, some of the most effective diplomats, the proudest history, one of the best records for art and literature and contribution to philosophy and world civilisation.

'For the people who live in Northern Ireland, I should say we are not just an island, we are a collection of islands. I don't want anyone in Shetland or Orkney to feel left out by this.

Didn't we start most of the things we are now proud of stopping? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

like what?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trunkster wrote: »
    Yep so 'small' that the uber rich Russian oligarchs can't buy enough houses or property in to safeguard their dubiously obtained wealth.

Hopefully DC will listen to parliament and the people and not march us off to war like il presidente Blair did.

We did have an important vote in parliament on Iraq as I recall. Blair said later he'd have quit if he'd lost the vote. The Tories lapped up the 'intelligence' even more than Labour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We did have an important vote in parliament on Iraq as I recall. Blair said later he'd have quit if he'd lost the vote. The Tories lapped up the 'intelligence' even more than Labour.

Luckily parliament has learnt that lesson.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Al_Locque wrote: »
    It`s difficult to disagree with that assessment of this country`s rapidly declining status, with the country now largely de-industrialised, and an economy that now seems to be based on service industries and financial services,and most importantly in international terms, armed forces now so depleted that they are rapidly becoming to resemble a local gendarmerie.which all makes Cameron`s grandstanding on the international stage looking increasingly ridiculous,

I think a realignment between what we are and what we pretend to be is clearly needed. All this batting above our weight stuff, why?

Why is Dave so desperate to be one of the top countries, what's wrong with just being another ordinary one? We ran the world because we had a empire, we gave up the empire or lost it, so why should we still expect to run the world?

I get annoyed when commentators say we should focus on sport, culture and music. We can do a lot better than that, we should refocus on science, technology, innovation and engineering. Not the industrial revolution production of raw materials stuff, that's old hat, been there done that.

How about becoming virtually self sufficient via wave power. Utilise our natural resources to the full. Imagine how Russia will feel when we set an example of a country that doesn't need their oil and gas anymore.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We probably didn't start them but were pretty good at exploiting them for our benefit. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/06/putin-tosser-conservative-tweet-mp
    Guardian wrote:

Putin a 'tosser', tweets Conservative MP

Henry Smith, who represents Crawley, admits 'language is not parliamentary … but it frankly it is still how I feel'

Vladimir Putin has been called a "tosser" by a Conservative MP, angry at his support for Bashar al-Assad's regime and abuse of human rights.

Henry Smith used Twitter to express his views of Putin, who is hosting the world's leaders, including David Cameron, at the G20 summit in St Petersburg.

Smith's comments came as Cameron ruled out any prospect of an international agreement over Syria at the G20 summit, saying Putin remains "miles away" from the truth of Assad's use of chemical weapons on his own people.

The Crawley MP wrote on his Twitter account: "Putin really is a tosser." Smith acknowledged that the language was not parliamentary but said it did express how he felt about the Russian leader.

I see the G20 is going well, a new dawn in Russian British relations. :rolleyes: :D
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol! Wicked sick burn.

Just asking for a 'your MOM is a small island nobody cares about' really.