Options

Tim Lovejoy / Sunday Brunch

BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
Forum Member
I can't comment on Tim Lovejoy as a sports presenter because I don't watch sport. But he is absolutely terrible on Sunday Brunch. The programme isn't great to start with but would be 100% better without Tim squinting at the auto cue, reading woodenly off cue cards and asking questions so inane they make The One Show look like Newsnight.

Simon Rimmer on the other hand is rather good and very natural.

How do these people get these gigs?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most people would agree and have said so on the TV Shows forum but the general consensus atm is he's so bad he's worth watching.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's shocking at sports presenting too. He and Louise Redknapp were beyond inane on SFTW. Rimmer must be wondering what he did wrong in a previous life to end up with this numpty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most people would agree and have said so on the TV Shows forum but the general consensus atm is he's so bad he's worth watching.

No. I saw todays effort, first time in ages and he is so bad, he's just dreadful.
    Astronaut blokey was awesome and to see Dim sitting next to and attempting to be intelligent was beyond cringy.
  • Options
    rainbow321rainbow321 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    No. I saw todays effort, first time in ages and he is so bad, he's just dreadful.
    Astronaut blokey was awesome and to see Dim sitting next to and attempting to be intelligent was beyond cringy.

Astronaut blokey. Was Cmdr Chris Hadfield. He was mesmerising a really magnificent man! I haven't been so impressed by someone appearing on TVvfor many a long year.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Awful man who has no business being on TV. Has he mentioned his twins yet? It must be all of three minutes since I heard him mention them. He also can't have a conversation about anything without shoehorning a reference to football in there.
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is embarrassing. Cringingly so. He can't say the name 'David Beckham' without becoming noticably aroused.

Simon, by contrast, is always good fun to watch.
  • Options
    coolmum123coolmum123 Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rainbow321 wrote: »
    Astronaut blokey. Was Cmdr Chris Hadfield. He was mesmerising a really magnificent man! I haven't been so impressed by someone appearing on TVvfor many a long year.

I agree he was amazing to listen to. We never watch this programme and it was by pure accident that we watched today, but Cmdr Hadfield was the only reason we continued to watch, fascinating man .
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful man who has no business being on TV. Has he mentioned his twins yet? It must be all of three minutes since I heard him mention them. He also can't have a conversation about anything without shoehorning a reference to football in there.

Not only did he mention them one of them was in the studio :D
  • Options
    Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everything Lovejoy has ever done has been dreadful.
    How he has made a living as a TV presenter is one of the great mysteries.
  • Options
    PaulgePaulge Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Another very entertaining show. Not only Chris Hadfield but also Kim Wilde, Dan Snow and Little Mix who performed at the end.
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tim is a good relaxed presenter in my opinion and has a good way with guests. At least he doesn't totally rely on the auto cue like Tess Daly and co who definitely doesn't belong in tv. You lot just sound like snobs
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the format of the show but I cannot watch it due to him.

He just comes across as smug, lazy and up himself.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    treefr0g wrote: »

He is all of the above yet as randysback pointed out hes still better than the tess dalysof this world. We normally have this on inthe background but were out today, sorryto miss the astronaut
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    He is all of the above yet as randysback pointed out hes still better than the tess dalysof this world. We normally have this on inthe background but were out today, sorryto miss the astronaut

Its not really what you'd call a ringing endorsement though is it ;-)
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything Lovejoy has ever done has been dreadful.
    How he has made a living as a TV presenter is one of the great mysteries.

That just isn't true is it? Soccer AM was a success as the BBC2 predecessor of The Sunday brunch
  • Options
    Gerry MandarinGerry Mandarin Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    That just isn't true is it? Soccer AM was a success as the BBC2 predecessor of The Sunday brunch

Soccer AM wasn't on BBC2!! If you're picking up your grammar skills from Sunday Brunch then enough said.
  • Options
    Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Tim and I think him and Simon work well together.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The annoying thing about Tim is that he so often doesn't listen to the person he's interviewing. He's distracted by the autocue, looking at himself in the monitor or playing with whatever they are discussing. Then, he suddenly "wakes up" and asks the guest a question about something they've already spoken about when he wasn't listening.

The girl who presents the drink section is forever having to repeat things because he pays no atttention the first time.

I'm sure it can't be easy to present a live tv show where you need to manage guests and keep to a set time while having a producer talk into your ear-piece, but Simon seems to handle it so much better than Tim.
  • Options
    SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,743
    Forum Member
    rainbow321 wrote: »

He was amazing, no wonder the other guests were also enthralled by him.
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    Not only did he mention them one of them was in the studio :D
    They're often not only there but make their way to front of camera too.
    solare wrote: »
    The annoying thing about Tim is that he so often doesn't listen to the person he's interviewing. He's distracted by the autocue, looking at himself in the monitor or playing with whatever they are discussing. Then, he suddenly "wakes up" and asks the guest a question about something they've already spoken about when he wasn't listening.

The girl who presents the drink section is forever having to repeat things because he pays no atttention the first time.

The BIB drives me mad.
    I appreciate that sometimes presenters ask seemingly inane questions just for parts of the audience who will need to know the answer, but at least Tim could do the guests the courtesy of giving them his attention while they're speaking to him.
    I think he so often seems like a fish out of water because he can only perform under strict direction whereas Simon and Rebecca can listen and contribute interestingly off the tops of their heads.

The best thing about Tim on a Sunday morning is that he makes even the most hungover and sleepy amongst us feel super intelligent :p
    and he supplies plenty of laughs, even if you're only cringing at him.
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »

Do you mean Something for the Weekend they presented on BBC2 - If it was such a success why was it dropped and they had to go to Channel 4?

1 of his kids was on camera this week.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »

I agree. "Something for the Weekend" was just about watchable, however Sunday Brunch has propelled him to new levels of smuggery. His hairline is receding at an alarming rate, must be all the head patting he indulges in.
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soccer Am was initially quite popular. However it's been moved from 3 hours on Sky1 and Sky Sports 1 to two hours on Sky Sports 2 only, which doesn't scream of rousing success. To be fair, he probably got out of it at about the right time. However pretty much everything he's done since has either failed (MLS coverage when David Beckham was involved, Fifth Gear on 5) or has been the kind of show pretty much anybody could present (SFTW, Sunday Brunch) and would probably be equally a success or not regardless of who was presenting it.

He represents no value at all as a television presenter. He contributes nothing beyond reading out the lines on the auto cue, which any fool can do.

And, as required in any thread that mentions Tim Lovejoy, he's not much of an author either.

Tim represents the utterly bland, the completely unchallenging. He's a chicken on white bread sandwich, a plain sponge cake, The beige painted wall. The fact is they could go for someone with a bit more personality, something about them, but they don't want to. They want someone who is as non-descript as possible, someone who isn't going to ask too much of the hungover Sunday morning crowd. And that's Tim.
  • Options
    researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has to be about the most talentless, charmless and unappealing person on tv. That show is unwatchable because of him.

Also agree with the Tess Daly non-fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    Soccer Am was initially quite popular. However it's been moved from 3 hours on Sky1 and Sky Sports 1 to two hours on Sky Sports 2 only, which doesn't scream of rousing success. To be fair, he probably got out of it at about the right time. However pretty much everything he's done since has either failed (MLS coverage when David Beckham was involved, Fifth Gear on 5) or has been the kind of show pretty much anybody could present (SFTW, Sunday Brunch) and would probably be equally a success or not regardless of who was presenting it.

He represents no value at all as a television presenter. He contributes nothing beyond reading out the lines on the auto cue, which any fool can do.

And, as required in any thread that mentions Tim Lovejoy, he's not much of an author either.

Tim represents the utterly bland, the completely unchallenging. He's a chicken on white bread sandwich, a plain sponge cake, The beige painted wall. The fact is they could go for someone with a bit more personality, something about them, but they don't want to. They want someone who is as non-descript as possible, someone who isn't going to ask too much of the hungover Sunday morning crowd. And that's Tim.

This is such a perfect description of the manchild.
    Hopelessly banal and nauseatingly self-assured, smirkingly unfunny, it’s a £300 T-shirt, a piss-you-off ringtone, a YouTube clip of someone drinking their mate’s vomit. Its smugness is a corollary of its vacuity
  • Options
    cold_as_stonecold_as_stone Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    I stopped watching Dim and baldy weeks ago. I went cold turkey for a while, but it was worth it.

Give Sunny side up a try with Mulhern. At least they have a laugh on there.

They both ooze smugness and arrogance - the both of them.