Options

Dog Fascinated by Cat Litter Box

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 487
Forum Member
I inherited my Mum's spaniel when she died in August. I have two cats, one aged 5 and the other aged 20 weeks.

Recently, whenever one of the cats uses the cat litter tray, which is a covered tray, the dog immediately goes, sticks his head in and tries to eat whatever they have left. I have tried dragging him away, giving him into trouble, giving him a gentle smack to let him know that this is not acceptable behaviour. He seems absolutely fascinated by the tray.

This has only been going on over the past 4/5 weeks and didn't seem bothered before.

I've tried using litter tray freshener to mask the same, as I thought this might be the problem.

Is there anything I can do to try and keep him out of the tray?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Please don't smack him, hard or soft, it will not do many thing, he doesn't know right or wrong, he just knows you smack him sometimes, he won't associate it with the tray and it will only cause him to anticipate bad things from you. Please never, ever use physical punishment on any animal.

Re: the tray- it's poo, it smells nice and if you are really quick it's still warm. Dog heaven. You have a couple of options - 1) get the cats to toilet outside, removing the need for the tray, 2) put the tray Ina room where the dog can't go (baby gate selecting it) or 3) invest in a dog proof tray, which are expensive but work well.
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogs love to eat cat poo. They also like to roll in foxes poo too, great fun! My dog did the same. It wasn't the most pleasant thing he did but it never did him much harm. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Uffa wrote: »
    Dogs love to eat cat poo. They also like to roll in foxes poo too, great fun! My dog did the same. It wasn't the most pleasant thing he did but it never did him much harm. :)

:D oh yes fox poo rolls. Never gets old :D
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    :D oh yes fox poo rolls. Never gets old :D

I am probably strange but I love the smell of foxes. Brings back such fun memories. :):)
  • Options
    Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't got a dog but is there some sort of smell that dogs don't like (e.g cats don't like anything citrus) that you could spray on the litter box that could keep him away?.

Or you could say No & then distract him with a toy or treat? Eventually he'd realise if he stays away from the litter tray he'll get a reward.

Or like another poster said put the litter tray in a room that the dog cannot access.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your help here. Unfortunately, the dog has access to all rooms and the litter tray sits in the landing. I've invested in a dog proof litter tray. Unfortunately, one of my cats is just a kitten who's too wee to go outside yet so he has to use the litter tray.

We'll see how things go.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog used to do the same. My cats litter tray was in the hallway, and when we got the dog he would set up permanent residence next to the tray in the hope of gobbling something gross.

We ended up putting the tray upstairs in our box bedroom with the door open just a crack (enough for the cats) and secured in place. The dog couldn't get in, and the cats could poo in peace.