Options

Unemployed Face Work Scheme Or Sanctions

1353637383941»

Comments

• Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So who's idea was it for the unemployed to accept a zero hours contract or lose their allowance? Let me guess, his initials begin with IDS....
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... all that matters is that they have a curious mind, and in my book THAT is more important than earning a bloody living...

Well as long as that curiosity extends to dumpster diving I suppose they wouldn't starve
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    So who's idea was it for the unemployed to accept a zero hours contract or lose their allowance? Let me guess, his initials begin with IDS....

There is one reason and only one reason for that brain fart, and that is to manipulate the unemployment figures.

It just further proves the ineptitude of government. It also convinces me of the need for basic income rather than the current welfare system.
  • Options
    Vicky.Vicky. Posts: 5,948
    Forum Member
    How would a 0 hour contract tie in with the 'work program' rubbish? If you were on a 0 hour contract, you couldnt participate in the work program or its forced volunteering even if you had no hours at the time...as per your contract as you have to be available at all hours incase your company needs you.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Why don't they just rename Job Seekers as The Resting Employed and then there would officially be no one at all on the Unemployment register,

They are not unemployed they are resting from work.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    what hasn't been in force yet?

you think zero-hour is ANY DIFFERENT to any other job position ..... and don't say the prospective number of work hours either!

so you're saying you COULD refuse a position paid by zero-hour and nothing would happen?

It's not rocket science.

The current rules are that someone claiming JSA will not face sanctions if they refuse a zero hours contract. This is precisely because zero hour contracts do not actually guarantee any work.

What other job positions are you talking about?.

Every single work contract I have ever had, and every single one my friends have ever had whether full or part time, state the minimum number of hours an employee is expected to work. It is a legal requirement.

Even zero hour contracts have to state the minimum, it's just that the minimum is zero.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »

Conservatives.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not rocket science.

The current rules are that someone claiming JSA will not face sanctions if they refuse a zero hours contract. This is precisely because zero hour contracts do not actually guarantee any work.

What other job positions are you talking about?.

Every single work contract I have ever had, and every single one my friends have ever had whether full or part time, state the minimum number of hours an employee is expected to work. It is a legal requirement.

Even zero hour contracts have to state the minimum, it's just that the minimum is zero.

saying that zero hours is simply a contract of work, like all the rest, just because there isn't a guarantee of working certain hours doesn't mean it's different IMO

that's why government is putting forward something to make it so you aren't exclusive to that contract for the company!

hopefully the whole lot is tossed in the bin where it belongs
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Jobseekers should not be forced into “Russian roulette of zero-hours contracts”

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/pressoffice/press_index/press_office-20140506
  • Options
    stargirl 2stargirl 2 Posts: 2,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok folks heres an update.
    re my relative nit worked for over 2yrs had his jsa reduced aprox £27 a week

had app yesterday with advisor sent immed on a training course for 3 days, bus fares is £10.50 per day, no reimbursement offered either, alternative was sanction.

housing benefit still in place £56 per week , then he pays £ 20 top up himself add on £10 for communal elec, £ 20 gas and elec in his room and then food if lucky .

how on earth is anyone expected to survive like that .

he goes back to advisor next week his full jsa will then be considered again .

all my relative wants is a job, he will however do anything asked of him by the job centre in order to survive , and welcomes the training course.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    stargirl 2 wrote: »
    ok folks heres an update.
    re my relative nit worked for over 2yrs had his jsa reduced aprox £27 a week

had app yesterday with advisor sent immed on a training course for 3 days, bus fares is £10.50 per day, no reimbursement offered either, alternative was sanction.

housing benefit still in place £56 per week , then he pays £ 20 top up himself add on £10 for communal elec, £ 20 gas and elec in his room and then food if lucky .

how on earth is anyone expected to survive like that .

he goes back to advisor next week his full jsa will then be considered again .

all my relative wants is a job, he will however do anything asked of him by the job centre in order to survive , and welcomes the training course.

If they are mandating him onto a training course then I believe they MUST pay his travel expenses.
  • Options
    EsensuelleEsensuelle Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted - sorry wrong thread