Are One Direction about to Implode?

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I personally don't think they have long left. They've been overexposed to the point that the public are sick of them. They're on magazines, TV and the internet a lot and I imagine it annoys a lot of people who aren't fans. Then there's the issue of their fanbase. Musically, I don't think they've been all that good. Nearly all the songs they have released (at least the singles anyway - never heard their albums so I can't comment on those) sound the same. They don't seem to show much creativity in their music. I'd say what will happen now is that the teenybopper fans will grow out of them and move on to the next big thing. This scandal could well be the beginning of the end and I'd be surprised if their fans keep defending them after this.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By August this year they will of hit the 3 year mark, the average point of death for boybands but thru could continue till 2015, I say they have one more album before death, maybe two
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably not, this is only ainor issue and moat bands can survive quite a few of those if they have a big fan base
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Probably not, this is only ainor issue and moat bands can survive quite a few of those if they have a big fan base

Then why didn't Justin Bieber?
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally don't think they have long left. They've been overexposed to the point that the public are sick of them. They're on magazines, TV and the internet a lot and I imagine it annoys a lot of people who aren't fans. Then there's the issue of their fanbase. Musically, I don't think they've been all that good. Nearly all the songs they have released (at least the singles anyway - never heard their albums so I can't comment on those) sound the same. They don't seem to show much creativity in their music. I'd say what will happen now is that the teenybopper fans will grow out of them and move on to the next big thing. This scandal could well be the beginning of the end and I'd be surprised if their fans keep defending them after this.

The sad thing is - they really do. Just looking at Youtube comments, it is either "they are adults and they can do what they want", "Zayn is so hot" or "Whats the big deal, they are smoking so they could relax".

I never understood this blind devotion that fans have - I will be the first to call someone an idiot if they do something very wrong no matter how much I like him/her as an artist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then why didn't Justin Bieber?

Because Beiber didn't come across as in anyway regretfully of what he did. An appology is normally all it takes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No different to take that really, whatever hapened to them?????
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No different to take that really, whatever hapened to them?????

They had a ten year gap when their respective careers (save for Robbie) were down the toilet..........What happened to them is an exception rather than the norm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently another scandal in tomorrow's The Daily Star:

https://twitter.com/***********/status/472128217420427264/photo/1

This could very well be fake, but even if it is, another fuss is not good for them right now. Bieber's wild antics clearly shown that not all publicity is necessarily a good publicity. Miley Cyrus on the other hand did show that is true because she gets away with anything.

So who knows how this will play out.

And if these "scandals" are all orchestrated by Syco, I want to know what happened to the good old days of boyband hyping when Walsh claimed Shane broke his leg and ended up in a wheelchair or that Kian was almost eaten by a lion. Now, those were hilarious, and they still ended up in the media.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But has beiber really lost that many fans or that much publicity?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But has beiber really lost that many fans or that much publicity?

I can't answer that because I loathe the kid so I don't fallow his career BUT you can't deny he has had SO MANY bad situations, that just can't be good - plus, if I heard correctly, his latest album wasn't really successful, not to mention his movie was box office disaster, which basically proves his fans don't care for him that much anymore.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look what is happening with them is nothing.

Remember the days when Christina Aguilera went out in Lingerie and a whip before inventing the **** drop. Or Britney Spears marrying in Vegas and all that followed. Or poor Amy with her many issues being filmed smoking crack. A spliff and some underwear sgots is neither new nor shocking.
  • steve781steve781 Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To say that they shouldn't be expected to be role models is balderdash. Every penny they earn is based on their appeal to the young and impressionable. If kids aren't infuenced by the behaviour of celebrities then why are billions spent by advertising firms looking for their endorsement?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    zeze88 wrote: »
    [/B]

The sad thing is - they really do. Just looking at Youtube comments, it is either "they are adults and they can do what they want", "Zayn is so hot" or "Whats the big deal, they are smoking so they could relax".

I never understood this blind devotion that fans have - I will be the first to call someone an idiot if they do something very wrong no matter how much I like him/her as an artist.

Exactly. I don't understand it either. Surely a true fan of an artist is someone who is loyal to their favourite artist but also can see their faults? I love Britney but I realise she's not perfect and she does have her faults (eg miming on stage, events of 2007). I do defend her when someone slags her off on here or elsewhere but I don't always defend her, especially when it comes to things like the events of 2007.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are 1D about to implode??

Hope so!!
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boybands have a short lifespan, 1D are getting too old and maturing so I think their next album will be their next

tbh, Harry and Niall are the only ones I think haven't changed

I'd say that's very likely :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,749
    Forum Member
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    I'd say that's very likely :p

:D:D:D

No. There's no way they are going to end it all yet. As quoted they will stay a band as long as fans want them.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're in their early 20's. I don't understand what people expect they do behind the scenes...they're young boys. Young people experiment with all sorts of things and make mistakes. It's how you grow as a person and learn and we all go through it. Whether they are in the public eye and supposed to be "role models" is irrelevant...public eye or not, everyone grows and make mistakes whether you're living your life on or off camera. They're young boys, give them a break. As for them being "role models"...I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. It's not the job of One Direction to parent children. If children are smoking weed just because they've seen a boy band do it then that says a hell of a lot about the parenting skills of the parents.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member

No. There's no way they are going to end it all yet. As quoted they will stay a band as long as fans want them.

Well, a lot less fans will want them now after all this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that quote has got to be the most cliched and overused sentence that a boyband can say - every boyband that ever existed used the exact same line at one point. in their careers. But the truth is, they will stay together as long as they are really up for it.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    They're in their early 20's. I don't understand what people expect they do behind the scenes...they're young boys. Young people experiment with all sorts of things and make mistakes. It's how you grow as a person and learn and we all go through it. Whether they are in the public eye and supposed to be "role models" is irrelevant...public eye or not, everyone grows and make mistakes whether you're living your life on or off camera. They're young boys, give them a break. As for them being "role models"...I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. It's not the job of One Direction to parent children. If children are smoking weed just because they've seen a boy band do it then that says a hell of a lot about the parenting skills of the parents.

Exactly! They signed a contract to sing pop songs, not to be role models.

Has this thought always be around that just because somebody sings a song or acts in a TV show or kicks a football around a pitch they are supposed to not put a foot wrong?
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Are 1D about to implode??

Hope so!!

Let us pray.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    If I was a fan (lol) I would be worried. Actually I'd be annoyed as they seem to be playing it very dangerously, almost like they want to end it, or at least someone to end it for them.
    It also sounds like they're divided. A united group would be able to see this through, but not if there's bitterness and a lack of common interests.

On a more superficial level, since a boy band is all about image rather than music, the fact they're looking rough and scruffy and like they can't be arsed. It's got to be a major problem.
    It would be okay if they were a rock band who were able to push the limits and had mature well-reasoned fans, but they're not. They're a manufactured boy band who have to fit a very specific demographic.

If they don't gradually grow apart then whoever's in-charge is doing a pretty good job. Although maybe the most beneficial thing for management to do is pick out the potential solo star, ditch the others and move on from there.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pop group smokes weed!
    Shock, horror whatever next, they might have sex with their girlfriends!
    Those awful rebellious young boys, perhaps they'll stop combing their hair next!

When did pop music fans become so antiseptic?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,749
    Forum Member
    zeze88 wrote: »
    [/B]

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that quote has got to be the most cliched and overused sentence that a boyband can say - every boyband that ever existed used the exact same line at one point. in their careers. But the truth is, they will stay together as long as they are really up for it.

Oh I know that :D. What I really think is that they don't enjoy parts of it and it's so obvious now they are being pushed by management etc. Tell a fan that - they will bite your head off. I've told a fan that I think they are unhappy and I was accused of hating.