Options

Know any ballads similar to Judie Tzuke - Shoot From the Heart? (link inside)

StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is actually a song I found on a thread on here ages ago, maybe 3 or 6 months ago I think, there was a poster who was a big Judie Tzuke fan...

Anyway, I havent been able to find much of her stuff, so I wondered if any of you on here would know any songs similar to it? (soulful, emotional voice, quite slow, nice instrumentation that's not too over the top). Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ1-OtH_oi4

I've had a wee look myself through general 80s stuff around the same time, but as you'll know yourselves, 80s music is such a mixed bag and what comes up in general searches (google etc) is usually just the really cheesy stuff.

I really like this girl and I really like Stevie Nicks as well, and I'm looking to enlarge my collection of soulful 80s ballads (or similar from any time, I guess).

Thanks! in advance

Comments

• Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judie Tzuke is probably most famous for her 1979 single 'Stay with me til dawn' which is a much better song than 'Shoot the moon'. I hear a lot of Judie' s sound in London Grammar and Lorde but they look being more successful in chart terms than Judie.

As for ballads, if you like Judie Tzuke and Stevie Nicks then maybe Tanita Tikaram 'Twist in my Sobriety' , Alison Moyet 'All Cried Out' , Hazel O' Connor 'Will You', Joan Armatrading 'Willow' or Rennaisance 'Northern Lights' - the lead singer Annie Haslam I thought sounded a lot like Judie Tzuke.
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you - so many suggestions! Although I struggle to enjoy Stay With Me Til Dawn, because I heard it first as a sample in another song where it also works quite well.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    I've had a wee look myself through general 80s stuff around the same time, but as you'll know yourselves, 80s music is such a mixed bag and what comes up in general searches (google etc) is usually just the really cheesy stuff.

Try Julee Cruise.. best known for her work on Twin Peaks.

Julee Cruise - Into the Night