HMV to go into administration :(

Comments

• PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone expect HMV to be saved? It is the last high street store selling these products afterall, and the last place you can physically walk in to find A LOT of CDs and DVDs now, seeing as the supermarkets only stock the latest releases and stuff they've gotten cheap. It would be a terrible shame if we were forced online. I mean, GAME was saved, surely if there's room for a shop devoted for games, there's room for a shop devoted to music, film/TV, AND games?
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Play.com are also going as well.
    Source?
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this tweet, thought I'd share:- https://twitter.com/navbasiTLW/status/290946153149775873/photo/1
    (says you can't use vouchers instore anymore, or certainly not at one particular branch - Westfield.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Source?

Play announced this themselves a few days ago. Because they now have to pay UK tax they don't want to operate for any longer, so they will close their business later this year. They WILL however keep open the trading side, ie, their 'market (ebay basically) side of things. All this makes you wonder if the government should consider lowering the taxes for these companies; particularly those on the high street. Maybe give high street retailers a tax break to try and help them. They'd still get VAT on the products they sell and claim taxes from employees, but if the companies themselves had a tax break it would mean they wouldn't all end up bust (well, it would certainly help things). Thing is, if they cut the tax they keep people employed, they keep claiming taxes from those kept in employment, AND they get VAT from all the products sold. If they keep the taxes up, and the company goes bust, then the Government lose the lot. Anyone else agree with this or am I being unrealistic?

Going back to my previous post, and I've read some of the posts on the previous page. A poster mentioned how GAME became slimmed down. I could see HMV getting saved and slimming down; I mean here in Norwich they have two stores ten minutes walk from one another. I see now reason they couldn't shut one and keep the other open. I think this would also help them keep things a bit more consistent throughout the company (EVERYONE knows that most HMV stores have differing prices, even those ten minutes apart ;)) and help them get things in order. Even if they bought things up to a point where they were making very little profit, if they could keep some stores it would keep their name known and keep people visiting their site. I don't want them to go the way of Zavvi and become online only. I find HMV online has VERY competitive prices, I know they can't bring the stores inline with this, but if they could do SOMETHING I'm sure they could be saved. IF anyone wants them that is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Source?

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/playcom-closes-direct-consumer-retail-business.html

But they have been heading this way for a long time, its been a bit like ebay for a while now. I avoid them unless they have a real bargin but even if they do amazon always price match if you tell them.
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.thebookseller.com/news/playcom-closes-direct-consumer-retail-business.html

But they have been heading this way for a long time, its been a bit like ebay for a while now. I avoid them unless they have a real bargin but even if they do amazon always price match if you tell them.

Thanks, I missed that story.
  • Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gabriella wrote: »
    It does annoy me that this all happens when it is too late- loads of people are gonna have giftcards from xmas still. Maybe giftcards should not be available if these shops are in a certain amount of trouble. That is what you get for showing them loyalty.

Exactly I have only just found out about HMV now so if they do go into administration 2moro then theres no way I could have spent whats left on my gift card so for the record £80 looks like its down the drain am gutted :(
  • B-29B-29 Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad day for the British high street :( We'll all be doing our shopping in discount stores, supermarkets and Cash Converters in a few years time. I hope they can be saved somehow.

Totally agree , also , do the music and film companies realise the supermarkets only sell the "latest" titles , good luck finding that title you really want soon everyone .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    B-29 wrote: »
    Totally agree , also , do the music and film companies realise the supermarkets only sell the "latest" titles , good luck finding that title you really want soon everyone .

People just buy it online, amazon hve almost everything now in CD/DVD/Blu ray/books. I doubt HMV closing will affect many people, of course its sad but its been coming for while now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    Does anyone expect HMV to be saved? It is the last high street store selling these products afterall, and the last place you can physically walk in to find A LOT of CDs and DVDs now, seeing as the supermarkets only stock the latest releases and stuff they've gotten cheap. It would be a terrible shame if we were forced online. I mean, GAME was saved, surely if there's room for a shop devoted for games, there's room for a shop devoted to music, film/TV, AND games?

I really hope someone will buy it. Its really sad seeing al these business closing down and if HMV where to close then that would be a great shame
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly I have only just found out about HMV now so if they do go into administration 2moro then theres no way I could have spent whats left on my gift card so for the record £80 looks like its down the drain am gutted :(
    I've got a card too , the government must protect shoppers over this .:mad:
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not a surprise, but sad news. :( People will be sorry when there are no high street stores (and the lack of employment following). :( I have always been pleased with my purchases from HMV.
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its very easy to adapt to changes. However all HMV did was push its prices up further rather than finding ways to compete with its rivals.

Everyone knows HMV was too expensive.

Yes, 6 blu-rays for £30 is so expensive. There's loads of 2 for £10, 3 for £20 deals there.

And it doesn't take a genius to work out why store prices are more than online prices - especially when compared to a company that doesn't pay any tax.
    I must be an old relic as I still buy cds and dvds.

I must be too, despite being in my very early 20s
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's sad i always pop when in town as in recent months the 2 for 15 has been a great offer though sadly i saw this coming. Simply put if u wnat it cheap and quick Amazon free one day click delivery :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If the government did more to help shops in the first place then we wouldn't have this problem. It's all well and good Cameron going on about how terrible it is that we're losing all these chains and jobs, but he continues to sit on his arse and do nothing about it. Increasing VAT didn't help. Sooner we get out of this coalition the better, and good riddance to the Tories!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People just buy it online, amazon hve almost everything now in CD/DVD/Blu ray/books. I doubt HMV closing will affect many people, of course its sad but its been coming for while now.

What about prices now ? , my local HMV's are usually busy so it will affect people .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I saw this tweet, thought I'd share:- https://twitter.com/navbasiTLW/status/290946153149775873/photo/1
    (says you can't use vouchers instore anymore, or certainly not at one particular branch - Westfield.)

Aw well might as wel throw my gift card away. If they knew this why the hel did they let people put the value on the gift card
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about prices now ? , my local HMV's are usually busy so it will affect people .

There is that but in most respects people are savvy enough to us the internet there are great offers on there but Amazon can more than match.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In fairness, there have been reports of HMV struggling and suggestions they could be the next High Street casualty for some time. I always avoid buying gift cards for more than £20. It just isn't worth the risk anymore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    If the government did more to help shops in the first place then we wouldn't have this problem. It's all well and good Cameron going on about how terrible it is that we're losing all these chains and jobs, but he continues to sit on his arse and do nothing about it. Increasing VAT didn't help. Sooner we get out of this coalition the better, and good riddance to the Tories!

Uh , how did Labour help Zavvi , Woolies and many others to go down the toilet, exactly??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agree 100% Cameron needs to get of his behind and stop these stores closing down. Can't he see its killing the high street, making so many people unemployed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    In fairness, there have been reports of HMV struggling and suggestions they could be the next High Street casualty for some time. I always avoid buying gift cards for more than £20. It just isn't worth the risk anymore.

In fairness though not many people find out about stories like this until its to l8te. And to be fair I don't remember anything being said about them on the news recently
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    There is that but in most respects people are savvy enough to us the internet there are great offers on there but Amazon can more than match.

But will they need to match anyone soon? , all these closures are making it worse for the consumer in the long run IMPO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uh , how did Labour help Zavvi , Woolies and many others to go down the toilet, exactly??

I never mentioned Labour ;) But I'm saying that the current government should be doing SOMETHING to help these chains. Labour didn't and nor are the coalition. They must step in and do something to protect the high street, the chains, and most importantly, the jobs.

And to those saying about throwing away gift cards. DON'T. The story has been updated to say that the administrators will try to find a buyer. It's very possible they could be bought out, afterall, GAME was.
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

What about those that don't have computers or any device to connect to the internet? Or those that don't have the internet? These people do exist.

What about choice and those that prefer physical media to a file on a HDD or SD card?

And if (really hoping they are saved) HMV does go, that means less competition, meaning online retailers have free reign on what to charge, meaning everyone precious Amazon and their cheap prices - who don't pay tax - may go up.
    More job losses means, more people on JSA (and more people for the media and governement to complain about through the "workshy scroungers"), more jobs going than being created, this means people have less money through not working, meaning money isn't going back into the economy and people aren't buying things, meaning more businesses go out of business, meaning more job losses .... you get the gist. Vicious circle and so no, it will affect more then a few people.

If it does go, that's over 4,000 people it will affect straight away.