Stroke Advert

pierre_gustavepierre_gustave Posts: 4,263
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If there is anything that gets me working the remote it is the scary 'you are having a stroke' advert.
I know it is well-intentioned and all that jazz.However, to those of us who have lost family and friends to strokes , it is nothing but a vivid reminder of how they died.:(

Comments

• sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This does not remind me of how my father died, he suffered strokes, but I noticed none of the factors in this advert as I wasn't there, I only saw the aftermath.

If this advert helps at least one person to get treatment, then what harm is it doing. What next? Ban macmillan adverts because they upset people who have lost others to cancer, these adverts are there to help.

Just about everyone has seen the stroke adverts, people who most probably wouldn't know what was happening, but now do and will get help to the ill person quicker than they would if this advert had never been shown.
  • EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the ad very distressing but at least I think I would now recognise the signs if a loved one started to have a stroke.

But now I think I know what to look for, I do switch over when the ad comes on. It's too upsetting.
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's more of a PIF than an 'advert' I think
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't watch the advert anymore, but i'm glad it's on TV.

Before i first saw it, i thought the symptoms of a stroke was someone keeling over and not being able to move.

This advert has now equipt myself and many others with this vital knowledge.
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swills wrote: »
    It's more of a PIF than an 'advert' I think

Yes it is a public information film, not an advert even though I went with the theme and called it an advert. Thanks for pointing that out :rolleyes:
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welcome, wasn't a dig tho! :) anyway Happy Christmas:):)
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have learnt something from this advert so its one i dont mind seeing over and over again
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd think it would be easy to spot someone having a stroke though, what with flames coming out of their head and everything.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So before these adverts people would have stood by and finished their cadbury truffles, but now they will call an ambulance instead?

What is the benefit to greater society to impose such distressing images to all?

If people wish to know things about what is going on with a stroke that is their business, but why should this be communicated to everyone?

I look forward to the medical explanation surrounding the heart attack to be presented in graphic detail.
  • ThanhukThanhuk Posts: 8,433
    Forum Member
    I think it is a good advert for helping to make the public aware of the signs of a stroke.

Indeed before I saw it I had no idea what I should look for, nor how to act. Now I at least know some of the main signs and what needs to happen in the event of a attack.

We need more adverts like this and less of the kind which try and sell us useless JMC crap!
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    So before these adverts people would have stood by and finished their cadbury truffles, but now they will call an ambulance instead?

What is the benefit to greater society to impose such distressing images to all?

If people wish to know things about what is going on with a stroke that is their business, but why should this be communicated to everyone?

I look forward to the medical explanation surrounding the heart attack to be presented in graphic detail.

That's already been done, with Stephen Berkoff starring in it.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    It it raises awareness then I think it's great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lea_uk wrote: »
    It it raises awareness then I think it's great.

Raises awareness of what?

I can't see that anything that has been communicated is worth more than the distress that adverts like this cause to the majority.

Certainly no one would do anything differently now than they would have done before.

It seems a terrible waste of tax-payers money, what about info on what to do if a child is choking or a person burns themself badly on hot fat. Instead we get hundreds of showings of the stroke info ad.
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ain't a medical person but it matters not a jot how quickly an onlooker can recognise the symptoms of a stroke and summon an ambulance, the damage to the brain is done even before the signs become apparent, the brain is irreversably damaged after a couple of minutes.
    I'd prefer TV PIFs about things onlookers can do to REALLY help, say, when someone is having a heart attack, or choking, or having an epileptic seizure, or how to stem serious bleeding, ETC.
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I understand why the ad divides opinion but for myself I try to remember what each letter means as a little 'self education'.
    Even if calling an ambulance was too little too late the fact that people would do something in such an emergency is better than standing by helplessly in such a dreadful situation.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :( I was talking to the fittest,healthiest looking(and living) 55 year old guy i've ever known on the Friday.
    On the Monday morning,he was gone.Massive stroke.I don't know the exact details except for it was very quick.
    I saw the ad a while back.I thought it was pretty informative,a bit shocking.But i've remembered the 'F.A.S.T.' guide ever since.
    I also carry a CPR, and heart attack guide ever since my dad had one many years ago.
    I think there should be more of these types of ads.Only good can come of them.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ain't a medical person but it matters not a jot how quickly an onlooker can recognise the symptoms of a stroke and summon an ambulance, the damage to the brain is done even before the signs become apparent, the brain is irreversably damaged after a couple of minutes.

I'm not a medically trained person either but I have seen the advert which stresses that the sooner the situation is recognised and treated the greater the recovery (albeit not necessarily total) could be.....so anyone with actual medical knowledge care to comment??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what people are objecting too is the method used to get the information across.

The problem with shocking [insert name here] is that eventually you have to ramp up the shock factor to get peoples attention

And then the inevitable backlash and return to bland nothingness, so what have you actually achieved in the long term?

It's short-termism writ large.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I believe they've specifically targetted a stroke, because it's fairly misunderstood and not always associated with young people. A friend of mine had a migraineous stroke at just 33. This is not to shock, but to raise awareness.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    You'd think it would be easy to spot someone having a stroke though, what with flames coming out of their head and everything.

Yeah, I don't understand the point in the flames. It's apparent that something is wrong with the person, no need for the special effects.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Stroke is misunderstood. My dad had a massive stroke when I was 17. He instantly knew something terrible was happening to him. He got up to look at himself in the mirror as he began to lose movement in the right side of his face. Neither my mum, uncle, aunt or I understood what was happening and my dad couldn't tell us. It was 25 years ago, and less was known about strokes. The confusion caused a delay in getting help, which may have made things worse. He lost his speech, the use of his right arm and much use of his right leg, and his vision was affected. These days, it is known that the quicker a victim receives medical attention, the greater the chances of restricting the effects. This advert is frightening, and brings back horrific memories to my mother and me, but it is worth it for the good it can do.
  • F2kSelF2kSel Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother had a stroke about 4 years back but when she got to hospital is was as if they weren't interested.

What was really odd was that for three days before the stroke my mother kept saying she was going to have one as she was quit ill even visiting the doctors.

On the subject of stroke did anyone see a program on the TV about 3 months back were they were giving stroke and other long term head injury patients a sleeping tablet.

This tablet had amazing effects on some patients, one women who was virtually in a coma woke up turned to her daughter and and then asked how are you then when she hadn't even been able to recognize her or speak for a year or two. A few minuets later she was sitting up in bed and a week or so later walking and feeding herself.
    The down side is that it only works on some patients and only last a short time.

They are trying to find out what it is that's having this effect and hopefully make a use full drug.
  • nittynattynoonittynattynoo Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My son now aged 2 had a neonatal stroke... so a bit different but I found the advert a bit disturbing to think of a wild fire in his brain spreading :-( luckily for him as he had it at newborn age his recovery has been good, he has mild left sided weakness and struggles with finer motor skills in his left hand and its a case of wait and see as to whether he will have any learning difficulties but at the moment hes walking, talking and understanding everything fine.

I just find the advert a bit graphic lol! but thats because its affected me and my family personally!
  • SoapsRmeSoapsRme Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see both sides really. I know it's a "need to know" thing but it upsets me so much that my husband automatically kills the sound when it comes on.

My mother suffered a stroke in the night but didn't want to disturb me and left it til morning to tell me. It just reminds me that if she'd told me right away and if we'd got her to hospital quicker she would have been with us for a lot longer. She didn't die right away but lost the use of her right side and spent the last 4 months of her life in a nursing home until she finally succumbed.

Of course I don't want it to happen to anyone else and maybe if it had been on when she was alive she might not have waited so long but does it have to be repeated quite so often to get the message across? I just can't stop thinking "if only" :cry:
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd prefer TV PIFs about things onlookers can do to REALLY help, say, when someone is having a heart attack, or choking, or having an epileptic seizure, or how to stem serious bleeding, ETC.

yes, that would be useful as well but people don't always have irreversible brain damage with strokes. Surely the whole point of this PIF is that for those who start to suffer strokes and CAN recover from them? I'm grateful for the pointing up of symptoms so that I might be able to help if I were in time. My mother died of a stroke and although I agree it's upsetting to see such graphic (if unrealistic) symptoms, at least we might know what to do about it. There's always a good chance some people recover if the stroke is not too serious.