Options

Obama backs gay marriage!

AdsAds Posts: 37,062
Forum Member
Great stuff

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/10/us/politics/obama-says-same-sex-marriage-should-be-legal.html?_r=1&hp

Although the culture war between the homophobes and gays is probably going to really hot in America up until the election now.

Comments

• Options
    Donk25Donk25 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well times change progress needs to be made , one day most people in the future will look back on all this with disgust just as most normal people do with with regards to racism now!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good on Obama.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Good on Obama.

You jest:p
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yet states he will do absolutely nothing about it
  • Options
    Union JockUnion Jock Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member
    Is he up for re-election soon?
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He needs the money and theres A LOT of money in the gay community these days. They are a force in politics. Given the GOP are pouring in the money I guess this isn't a suprise. We all knew he supported it anyway, he just announces it when it politically suits him like all politicians.

But the problem with Obama, just like a lot his presidency is that he's just full of hot air a lot of time. He promised categorically and europhorically that he would change the way washington works.

He has not changed an awful lot in Washington, the same broken system still exists in many ways.

The main problem with Obama politically is that he is too passive. He lets opportunities pass him by and doesn't put up a fight. He's caved in time and time to the GOP consistently without much resistance.

The GOP have got him around the throat and have held him back by making any real changes. But then again I don't think he's progressive anyway.

To me Obama comes across as it a bit of a populist. He's a like a Tony Blair clone, always looking to please people and seems to be what a lot critics back in 08' were saying he was, a style over substance candidate.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Chelseafan101Chelseafan101 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gnobe wrote: »
    He needs the money and theres A LOT of money in the gay community these days. They are a force in politics. Given the GOP are pouring in the money I guess this isn't a suprise. We all knew he supported it anyway, he just announces it when it politically suits him like all politicians.

But the problem with Obama, just like a lot his presidency is that he's just full of hot air a lot of time. He promised categorically and europhorically that he would change the way washington works.

He has not changed an awful lot in Washington, the same broken system still exists in many ways.

The main problem with Obama politically is that he is too passive. He lets opportunities pass him by and doesn't put up a fight. He's caved in time and time to the GOP consistently without much resistance.

The GOP have got him around the throat and have held him back by making any real changes. But then again I don't think he's progressive anyway.

To me Obama comes across as it a bit of a populist. He's a like a Tony Blair clone, always looking to please people and seems to be what a lot critics back in 08' were saying he was, a style over substance candidate.

Weren't you claiming the sun shines out of his arse recently?
  • Options
    Derek1903Derek1903 Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Well 90% of Democrats are supportive too, so if he doesn't want to lose their votes he has to say these kind of things.

To gain some republican votes he will say a few more nationalistic quotes too. Things about the war etc.

However USA is a big country and all these issues are roughly half and half. A hardcore republican will never be supportive of gay marriage just like a hardcore democrat will always be supportive.
  • Options
    mreasymreasy Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    good on him, but he'll face many obstacles convincing the homophobes
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Union Jock wrote: »
    Is he up for re-election soon?

4 months or so.

Had this been a political leader in the UK i'd have thought the same, but in the States this will probably lose as many votes as it gains.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good on him. I was starting to think he was too spineless to have an opinion either way. Remember a whole generation used the Bible to support slavery with that seeing Noah naked story so attitudes can be changed even when it's 'in the Bible'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I just want to say that as a gay American, yesterday was a very crazy day. It started out with me basically feeling like I wanted to rip my hair out about the (unsurprising) NC vote and then being really happy (if not a little cynical) that Obama came out in support of marriage equality.

I'm personally very invested in gay rights and gay equality, and the argument that is happening in my country about it. While it may be just words, having a sitting president support marriage equality is a very hopeful thing!
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So pleased he said this. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a very brave move by Obama; it will invigorate the left and alienate the right. Good luck to him.

• Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Refreshing to read this after yesterday and NC. Who'd've thought equality would be so bloody difficult to establish?
  • Options
    jbiggsjbiggs Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's fantastic how strong is gay lobby. Anyway, why can't gays stick with civil partnership only? Why do they need to get married?
  • Options
    jbiggsjbiggs Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Donk25 wrote: »
    Oh well times change progress needs to be made , one day most people in the future will look back on all this with disgust just as most normal people do with with regards to racism now!

O yes, one day in the future most people will look in disgust and ask themselves why those minority heterosexual couples always complaining.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Versus1 wrote: »
    While it may be just words, having a sitting president support marriage equality is a very hopeful thing!

Well yeah- even if it's just political grandstanding, the very fact that coming out in support of gay marriage can be seen as a populist measure shows just how much attitudes have changed for the better.
    jbiggs wrote: »
    O yes, one day in the future most people will look in disgust and ask themselves why those minority heterosexual couples always complaining.

And I suspect the reason for the complaining will be manifestly obvious.

Who were you before?
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    It's fantastic how strong is gay lobby. Anyway, why can't gays stick with civil partnership only? Why do they need to get married?

Because we want to be married for exactly the same reasons as straight people? Love, commitment, sharing etc.

You will lose nothing if I have the right to marry - so how come you oppose it?
  • Options
    Nard DogNard Dog Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully next he will confirm that he is an atheist
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another gay marriage thing here. This time, from my favourite Youtube person, Jenna Marbles. Of course there are some ignorant people arguing in the comment section, but the like/dislike bar is in favour of what she's saying which is great. After 4 mins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F_ZZEuVLaw&feature=g-all-u
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    During segregation, black people had to drink from a different water fountain and stay in different hotels etc. They could still get water and stay in a hotel, so what was the problem?

If it is the same, why not call it marriage, then? Why differentiate?
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the fact he's so unpopular in the US at the minute take these weasel words of his with a pinch of salt. It's nothing but an attempt to garner lost support for the upcoming US election nothing more. He's always been an empty suit with hollow words and always will be.
  • Options
    Neda_TurkNeda_Turk Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    "Obama backs gay marriage!"

That's nice of him. I back Black people!

(And pink ones as well!)