Speed still the same

JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I had my new superhub installed a few days ago to take advantage of the speed increase from 10 to 20Mbs, which Virgin say has happened. but upload and download are still 9.5 and 1, respectively. Why isn't it faster?

Actually it is fast enough for me, anyway, but I wonder whether I need to tweak it.

Comments

• Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It takes time for the changeover to become active - it WILL happen!
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It takes time for the changeover to become active - it WILL happen!

How long exactly? I've had mine for about a month now.
  • Jez_GafysJez_Gafys Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    Should me minutes/hours not days/weeks/months

Reboot your super hub it could be it downloaded the new account configuration but requires a reboot to load them?
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Try unplug your modem for 10 minutes to restart.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    Try unplug your modem for 10 minutes to restart.
    No modem has ever needed to be unplugged for ten minutes as thirty seconds is more than enough, if someone told you otherwise then they are a sandwich short of a picnic.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My superhub's power is switched off every night. Thanks for info, I will give them a call.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, here is what happened, just in case anyone else had the 10Mb broadband from Virgin, and is supposed to have been upgraded.
    I posted a message in a Virgin forum to the effect that my speed was supposed to have been increased, but there seemed to be no change.
    A chap almost immediately said I needed a hub upgrade and said he would arrange for me to get one. It arrived after a few days, and I fitted it. It worked fine, after a half hour wait while they did something at their end. I tested the speed and it was still the same.
    I waited a few days hoping it would increase, but when it didn't I posted a message on here hoping someone would help. It was very helpful to be told that it definitely should be OK, so I called up Virgin, and they instantly upgraded the speed. It now runs at just about exactly 30Mb, though I had thought the speed would be 20Mb. It works a treat.

So I hope anyone else in the same boat can have a go as well. (I called Virgin by using the 150 service).
  • meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edit double post
  • meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been having a similar issue to the above.

Got the new Super Hub with an upgrade from 10Mbps to 60Mbps, activated it over the phone, and ever since the speed has remained doggedly at 20Mbps (or less).

Phoned tech support hoping to speak to someone in the UK but got India. Needless to say the problem hasn't been resolved.:( What are the call centre hours for UK tech support, anyway?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best time to ring is just after 8am when the UK agents start work any later you you can get anyone from anywhere.