Options

The Missing

Comments

• Options
    RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a bad opening episode, bit slow but then there is 8 episodes which imo means it is going to be dragged out and be slow paced which is not necessarily a bad thing.

the ending means Ollie had been there as that was his drawing on the wall.

i admit i did have to keep turning the volume up at some points which was annoying.
  • Options
    Maisymoo82Maisymoo82 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was ok, promising, though I really struggled to hear the dialogue, despite the volume being almost at the full level!
  • Options
    willrelf92willrelf92 Posts: 15,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gripped to this so far; slow start but I find that with most dramas, it really picked up towards the end.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    p1xie wrote: »
    So the items donated to the charity shop are listed individually and the donors' names and addresses listed in ledgers? I heard her explanation but the whole thing seems highly unlikely.

And this legendary detective visits the donor of the scarf and the first thing he asks is NOT 'How did you come to possess this scarf?' In fact, if she hadn't called them back he wouldn't have asked that question at all!

I'm going to keep watching but the whole thing is ludicrous so far.

Yeah ,totally agree with the above - so ridiculous.
    Also it took the ex detective barely any time to find the details in the ledger even though it had been put in 4 years previously!
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok-ish drama, hasn't me swayed to hate or like it but some things in the story has prompted the 'why would they do that?' question a couple times and the acting is somewhat overdone, especially Nesbitt. Might tune in next week to see where the story line goes next.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were some unlikely bits - that the charity shop woman would ask for the name and address of donors. Why would they want to give her their name? I wouldn't.

That the woman who donated the scarf would just let two totally strange men with no identification in to "ask a few questions". "Absolutely not" would be my response to that, or words to that effect.

That the drawing would be still on the wall in the cellar after 8 years and the homeowners would not have noticed, or if they did notice, never wondered how it came to be there or scrubbed it off.

But apart from that, I found it quite intriguing, with lots of questions to be answered.
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    So the items donated to the charity shop are listed individually and the donors' names and addresses listed in ledgers? I heard her explanation but the whole thing seems highly unlikely.

And this legendary detective visits the donor of the scarf and the first thing he asks is NOT 'How did you come to possess this scarf?' In fact, if she hadn't called them back he wouldn't have asked that question at all!

In our local charity shop, the donors are encouraged to register for the sale of the goods to be tax exempt for the shop.
    You are given a card which has your NI number, name and address on it. When you take in your bagfuls of stuff, your card number is tagged onto the bag, which is sorted, valued and listed before going on the shelf. So yes, it IS possible that the shop will know the source of the donated items.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    Ok-ish drama, hasn't swayed to hate or like it but some things in the story has prompted the 'why would they do that?' question a couple times and the acting is somewhat overdone, especially Nesbitt. Might tune in next week to see where the story line goes next.

I've not watched it, but that sort of thing really annoys me too, to the extent that six years ago, I stuck my definition of "The Pantomime Factor," on Urban Dictionary.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The%20Pantomime%20Factor&defid=3195441
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fairly typical BBC drama 1st episode - plodding. It seems to be their modus operandi. Why they do this is beyond me as I am sure it turns a portion of the audience off. Anyway will give it a go next week. Plot holes aplenty as others have said but hopefully it will start to motor next week.
  • Options
    CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    In our local charity shop, the donors are encouraged to register for the sale of the goods to be tax exempt for the shop.
    You are given a card which has your NI number, name and address on it. When you take in your bagfuls of stuff, your card number is tagged onto the bag, which is sorted, valued and listed before going on the shelf. So yes, it IS possible that the shop will know the source of the donated items.

That's right. We donated some stuff a while ago and received a letter from the charity shop telling us how much our donations had raised.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Nesbit is the reason I had no intention of watching this. I can't abide him.

Still, the BBC should stick to producing costume drama and dramatisations of 19th century novels as it's the only sort of drama that they (usually) do really well.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They might do things different in France
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were some unlikely bits - that the charity shop woman would ask for the name and address of donors. Why would they want to give her their name? I wouldn't.

That the woman who donated the scarf would just let two totally strange men with no identification in to "ask a few questions". "Absolutely not" would be my response to that, or words to that effect.

That the drawing would be still on the wall in the cellar after 8 years and the homeowners would not have noticed, or if they did notice, never wondered how it came to be there or scrubbed it off.

But apart from that, I found it quite intriguing, with lots of questions to be answered.
    Very true, that woman at the house was indeed very trusting to let them in and not kicking a fuss when they took off down the cellar.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it.

Obviously there are times we have to suspend disbelief and there are odd coincidences but ...................it is a drama.

Didn't realise that it was eight episodes long ...........hope they don't spin it out too much like (Ifelt) they did with Broadchurch.
  • Options
    theiatheia Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dachse wrote: »
    Am I going deaf????

I've had to turn up the volume to 15 the hear the dialogue. Normally only have it on 10. :o

Same here. I had to keep adjusting the sound, one minute it was fine, then quiet, then fine again
  • Options
    notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    I'm not that keen on him either, weird-ish face to take seriously - like Milliband, and I agree that he's overrated. Forcing myself to watch to see if I've got that that wrong. So far, no.

No. U r wrong..this is soo good , thank god for Nesbit ...he is gonna make this
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    I did not quite get why the police did not follow up on the scarf, which clearly belonged to the missing boy, and it was left to the retired cop to do the digging. Imagine if a photo surfaced of a young girl with something that clearly belonged to Maddy.
  • Options
    linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dachse wrote: »
    Am I going deaf????

I've had to turn up the volume to 15 the hear the dialogue. Normally only have it on 10. :o

I've had the same problem. Glad it's not just me!!
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That all seemed very odd, but it was hard to follow the scarf donor conversation as it was in French
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overall I thought it was very good. Including Nesbit's performance
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first thing I thought of was the Mccanns - almost as if it had been written as an expression of sympathy for them. Anyhow I didn't find it half as gripping as the lead up suggested. It failed to drag me from the computer screen - my usual 'grip test'!
    There were some good scenes but overall I found it contrived and over done.
    I think I'll miss out the middle episodes and skip straight to the last!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else notice the detective's photo of his daughter on his desk ? - a spitting image of Madeline McCain. They made some play of him holding this photo, I can't help but think it was an intentional reference.
  • Options
    SuperSal1SuperSal1 Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the beginning it's obviously meant to be the McCanns. Same clothes, demeanour etc. I'll carry on watching but I'm finding the plot faults too stupid. Going swimming in the summer in an outside pool and yet you've brought a winter scarf with you?
  • Options
    dachsedachse Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperSal1 wrote: »
    In the beginning it's obviously meant to be the McCanns. Same clothes, demeanour etc. I'll carry on watching but I'm finding the plot faults too stupid. Going swimming in the summer in an outside pool and yet you've brought a winter scarf with you?

Thought the same thing - why would he have a scarf???

Overall I enjoyed it and will watch next week despite all the plot holes and having Nesbit in it. Nearly didn't watch it because of him as I don't rate him much but was reasonably 'gripped' quite quickly.
  • Options
    Tom_MullenTom_Mullen Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I enjoyed the episode it parts but this is what spoilt it for me, there were just too many coincidences and ridiculous situations, the scarf and charity shop being the main one, would a charity shop really have a detailed book of every item donated with an address going back 4 years, incredibly unlikely.