Trivial things that annoy you intensely. (Part 3)

Comments

• NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and one more thing that annoys me - Stuart Bingham's head. It really is the most bizarre shape.

Goodnight chums.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger s*dding biscuits!!!!!

There are few rules in our house. However, there is a strict rule re ginger biscuits. That is - that they are kept in a separate tin. Otherwise every other biscuit will taste of bleeping ginger!!!!

I make an afternoon brew, looking forward to a chocolate digestive, only to find that a family member who will soon be up for adoption, has dumped the ginger offenders in with all the other biscuits.

I wouldn't mind but we don't even buy the things. My MiL gives us a pack or two everytime we see her, every flippin' time.

I have the (almost) reverse problem with people who put chocolate biscuits in with everything else. Even the smell of chocolate can make me feel nauseous, I don't want my ginger biscuits tasting of it.

On a further note, when I was a kid there where very few chocolate sweets around. I don't think my local bakery had anything with chocolate at all. Now it's hard to get a cake that's free of the stuff. Why has it become so ubiquitous in the last 40 years - it's not as if most of it is very nice chocolate, more like vaguely chocolate greasy candy bar.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    Calling them cheese eating surrender monkeys seems a bit childish, don't you think?
    I've been to France quite a few times, the natives seemed okay to me, no one insulted, or cheated me, the fact that I'm reasonably au fait with the language probably helped, although once they worked out that I was English, a lot of them switched to English, probably just to show that they could.
    While I have every sympathy for your mother's loss of your German grandfather, I'm not sure how anyone could differentiate between a German soldier who subscribed to Nazi beliefs, and one who just happened to have been enlisted into the Wehrmacht.
    I think that they all wore field grey, and though some displayed SS runes on their collars, I don't think that any of them had insignia that said, I just happen to be here because I was born in Germany and got called up.
    It's a quote from The Simpsons.
    Oh well, that's okay then.
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    That is correct, I Googled it to make sure, but as much as I think The Simpsons are hilarious, I still don't think that it's right to use that term about the French.
    I take it that it stems from France's reluctance to join the gung ho American/British fiasco in Iraq around 2003.
    Calling the entire population of France cheese eating surrender monkeys because of the French government's decision not to join what probably was an illegal war, is tantamount to calling all Brits roast beef eating surrender monkeys for not fighting in Vietnam.
    planets wrote: »
    I always thought it referred to the second world war and Vichy France, and before that referencing the Napoleonic wars, The Franco Prussian War and the First World War.
    In the media as a quote,it's from way before the Simpsons it's from Monty Python and the Holy Grail in 1974.
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    The writer who coined the phrase in 1995 was quite the visionary.

Yes, it was a joke guys. If you look at my profile it'll confirm.

Just like the other bit is a tag line from the ending song on the film 'The 51st State' or 'Formula 51'.

Headrillaz - "Good Is Bad (featuring Ricky Barrow)"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qpJJ2Cwp1E
  • coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same, and the frustration is amplified on a weekend. I have a few people coming over so sleeping through definitely isn't the issue - but a restless night is likely.

Did consider just staying up - a few years too old to pull it off sadly :)

When do men get too old to pull it off? Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Back on topic. I'll get some stick, but when Carol Kirkwood says Inglind, Irelind and Scotlind on the weather forecast. Leaves thread.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just visited a site to buy a replacement lipstick. The price is now £36. It was £21 over a year ago. Boo! I have a skin tone that makes it tough to find a good shade of red, which is why I don't enjoy hunting for a new one. :cry:

Actually, there's another thing that annoys me: when I find a new favourite, it'll soon become defunct. It seems I have a knack for it.

I can't buy a few as a back-up because two make-up artists told me that a two-years-old lipstick has the potential to turn toxic. I actually Googled to be sure and found this general guide:
    Make-up, once opened, expires at

3-6 months - Mascara

6-8 months - Liquid foundation, cream foundation, concealer, cleanser, moisturiser

1 year - Pressed powder, loose powder, shimmer powder, eye shadow, blush, lip gloss, lipstick, toner

18 months - Eye and lip pencils

Curse.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That reminds me of a related work phone annoyance:

'When will he/she be free?'

How do I know how long someone else is going to be on the phone for? :confused: I've actually had people getting rather stroppy with me before for not being able to tell them!

I always used to say "I'm sorry, I have no way of knowing that".
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I've got many, but people who agree with posts by putting 'This ^^^^^^' under it.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    And before anyone can do that to my post - haha!
  • MissCharleyPMissCharleyP Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I've just visited a site to buy a replacement lipstick. The price is now £36. It was £21 over a year ago. Boo! I have a skin tone that makes it tough to find a good shade of red, which is why I don't enjoy hunting for a new one. :cry:

Actually, there's another thing that annoys me: when I find a new favourite, it'll soon become defunct. It seems I have a knack for it.

I can't buy a few as a back-up because two make-up artists told me that a two-years-old lipstick has the potential to turn toxic. I actually Googled to be sure and found this general guide:

Curse.

I also have the knack of liking something, whether it be food, cosmetics, drinks, and it being discontinued almost immediately! I'm sure manufacturers do it on purpose...why get rid of what (in some cases) is a popular product?

In regards to make-up those dates only apply once the product is opened. If you leave it unopened and store it out of direct light it should be fine. I've had stuff much longer than that and its fine and I'm fine. Only thing I'm strict with is mascara.
  • MissCharleyPMissCharleyP Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me...waking up at 5 (like this morning) and being unable to get back to sleep. Tomorrow when I have to get up at 6, I'll be sleeping like I'm dead and will struggle to resemble anything remotely like awake!
  • Guts and GloryGuts and Glory Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me...waking up at 5 (like this morning) and being unable to get back to sleep. Tomorrow when I have to get up at 6, I'll be sleeping like I'm dead and will struggle to resemble anything remotely like awake!

Many weekday mornings before work I find myself lying in bed wide awake waiting for the alarm clock to go off.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finishing a good book
  • HeavySaurusHeavySaurus Posts: 4,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bank holidays all being scrambled within a few months, with the exception of Christmas and New Year's. Autumns are always so, so long!

And actually, five day working week. The weekend always swishes past without really even noticing because on Saturday I'm too tired to do much and just waste the day watching telly, and then panic on Sunday and get all house stuff done, leaving no time for doing anything fun.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This "promotion" system on a forum.

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/how-do-i-earn-likes-get-promoted-and-other-obvious-questions.198038/

Not sure if you'll be able to view it if you're not logged into the site, so I'll explain it briefly.

New members are herded into a "Newbie" forum. You need 10 Likes to join the big boys in the senior forum. Now, I can understand a 10 posts limit to spot spam bots but 10 Likes, where Likes are only allowed to be given by the people that run the forum? If you're going to create an open forum, you can't only let in people whose opinions you agree with or find funny. And what's wrong with simply banning people that break the rules rather than shepherding everyone, including those with the best intentions, into quarantine?
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/how-do-i-earn-likes-get-promoted-and-other-obvious-questions.198038/

Not sure if you'll be able to view it if you're not logged into the site, so I'll explain it briefly.

New members are herded into a "Newbie" forum. You need 10 Likes to join the big boys in the senior forum. Now, I can understand a 10 posts limit to spot spam bots but 10 Likes, where Likes are only allowed to be given by the people that run the forum? If you're going to create an open forum, you can't only let in people whose opinions you agree with or find funny. And what's wrong with simply banning people that break the rules rather than shepherding everyone, including those with the best intentions, into quarantine?

Because it’s a football supporters forum and the only acceptable type of activity is the forum equivalent of mutual masturbation.

They don’t like dissenters. :o
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    Google Maps, hate the new version of Google Maps so switched back to the old classic version, instead it goes to lite version, i want the old classic Google Maps with the icons in the top left of my monitor not bottom right.
  • Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adverts I hate them with a passion. ARRRGHHHH
    Occasionally on Youtube you have a mandatory 30 second advert with NO option to skip and its about some crap irrelevant to the vid like baby wear when you want to see a vid on car restoration.

Sky is the worst by far. Every time I put the TV on and see a good program in the listing I can guarantee that the bloody adverts are on or will come one seconds after i press the channel and they are long 5 minute ad breaks every 8 minutes!
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member

I belong to that site and have been in both categories, and now am back in the lower for some perceived transgression. Believe me, the lower orders are far more entertaining and insightful.

The upper room, as has been pointed out is full of self congratulating, masturbating luvvies, especially that bloody Arsenal fan.
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going into a shop and finding they only sell leeks in packs of three, I only want one ruddy leek! And courgettes too, I only want eat one fgs >:(

I made leek and tatty soup earlier this week and now have two festering leeks lurking in my fridge.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    I belong to that site and have been in both categories, and now am back in the lower for some perceived transgression. Believe me, the lower orders are far more entertaining and insightful.

The upper room, as has been pointed out is full of self congratulating, masturbating luvvies, especially that bloody Arsenal fan.

It's equally as ridiculous that you can be demoted as you were. You're probably expected to "learn your lesson" aka revise the party line and refine your brown-nosing.

I've spotted a few "full members" post mocking comments in the Newbie forum. Arses.
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that the Chairmen Of The Board song is called " Everything's Tuesday" when the lyrics quite clearly are " Everything Is Tuesday".
    Why didn't they call it "Everything Is Tuesday" when it scans and rolls off the tongue better anyway?

Well, the OP did say "trivial" :D ( it does genuinely annoy me, though )
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The neighbours moronic child blowing mindlessly into a recorder producing the same note over and over and over, and also the mother for doing nothing about it.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Addendum to this post.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=77930256&postcount=3585

While on walkabout with said mate, I see this woman walking past with some dodgy geezer, the woman being an ex of another mate here. Anyway, as I and the mate were walking past she gestures the 'keep quiet' sign (finger to the lips), as us two walk on by. One hour later she knocks on my door, shouting through the letter box, so I let her in and am surprised to see her. She wants to use the toilet, so I say OK. Then she asks to come into my room and I say 'No can do, I'm busy, it's not convenient'. So, I literally show her the door and she storms off in a huff. I only know her because of my mate and she's only calling around because she thinks I'll tell my mate what happened earlier, as in I've seen her with another man. I basically said, this event never happened and I'm saying nothing.

The long and short of it is, if you turn up unannounced without warning, don't expect me to jump through hoops in order to accommodate you.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member

Looks like they can, But why would you want to join a site like that?
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    The fact that my web browser seems to think I want to see an ad for the firm I work for every time I load a new page. Makes sense.:confused:
This discussion has been closed.