EE: Children (contains spoilers)

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    Kamil has been pretty good, even saying "daddy" when Masood went to rescue him over Christmas and smiling quite regularly.

'Kamil' is great at responding to the actors playing his family but I thought 'George' was better at reacting to what's going on around him.
    Its actually quite worrying how unresponsive they actually are!

I know people hated this idea, but he would have been good with Shirley.. Shirley actually trying to be a responsible mother for once!

I think a lot of Walford parents Mickey Finn their toddler's sippy cups. I would have preferred George stay with Afia and Tamwar. Darren was close to Tamwar but he never liked Shirley.
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Janine: what's that? did you say mummy?
    Butcher/Moon Baby: no, money! cash! pounds!
    *Michael smiles evilly* I shall name him...Mini Mike!

Haha Michael unable to hug Morgan was funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_scmJScdRKg

:D:D Brilliant, love it!

Thanks for the link - gave me a giggle! With Bianca, Janine and the brood off for a break, my fantasy scene of Michael babysitting Tiffany and Morgan is looking very remote. I think that scene from January is the closest I'll get. I loved their scene with Masood last week too.

Tiffany: "I've still got Whitney's phone"
    Masood: "I've still got the hammer!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jayma wrote: »
    :D:D Brilliant, love it!

Thanks for the link - gave me a giggle! With Bianca, Janine and the brood off for a break, my fantasy scene of Michael babysitting Tiffany and Morgan is looking very remote. I think that scene from January is the closest I'll get. I loved their scene with Masood last week too.

Tiffany: "I've still got Whitney's phone"
    Masood: "I've still got the hammer!"

Haha! That was one of the funniest scenes I've seen in a while! :D

Masood needs to keep that hammer!
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    I think Kamil is a little star, as is Oscar. Amy is worryingly unresponsive in my opinion. George was very cute but I think that the 'not mummy' stuff was a happy co-incidence, the actor was saying not mummy as Shirley isn't it but it played into the pathos of the storyline very well as George's mummy is no longer there and everyone else is always going to be 'not mummy'

Without wanting to be funny, nearly all toddlers or primary school children are cute, Amy is cute (if practically mute), Tiff was cute when she came in 5 years ago. The difficult period for a soap is about 7-14 where you either have to write them as much younger than their age to keep them sweet, precocious to be funny or as spoilt little brats or sometimes all 3 as seems to be happening with Tiffany now. Once they goet to 14ish (especially if played by older actors) you can start giving them 'adult' storylines.

Of course it would be nice to see characters grow up in the show rather than turning up fully formed as teenagers but that is entirely dependent on the actors playing their parents staying in it for 20 years which usually doesn't happen. It is a real contrivance to have a kid stay in when their primary carer has left for any reason other than death and them trying to change that leads to horrible decisions like killing Kathy offscreen just so we could have Ben back.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    I have to agree that children were never as prominent in the early years. Janine was probably the first one to appear more than once or twice a year and even then, she was about 6 when she arrived and it mostly consisted of her running out of the room after doing something vile to Pat, then there was some stuff about her being bullied and her reaction to Frank leaving, then she was written out for 3 years or so before returning at 16 played by Charlie to perform adult storylines. She had nowhere near the exposure that Tiff has had since her arrival.

I don't think that Michael is disinterested in children, I actually think that he is very aware, wants to interact with them but doesn't really know how. Hence the 'little person eating crisps' - a lot of people wouldn't even have noticed their presence and he didn't shove Morgan off him as an unwelcome presence, he just seemed a little bemused and unfamiliar with the open display of need and affection , which is actually rather sad.
  • VirginiaDemVirginiaDem Posts: 1,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't original Janine have a bit to do? Or is the clips I've seen on youtube about her only scenes back then?

It was mostly her "looks". When she spoke, it was usually vitriol, but Janine I was really the devil's child.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jayma wrote: »
    Perhaps they had to rein Oscar in a bit because of his over-exuberance! :D He's now got the Bobby Beale syndrome of 'playing upstairs'. He'll come down in a couple of years' time and become a show regular! ;)

Alfie should just start running a creche upstairs in the Vic for all the youngsters when their parents are busy boozing it up! That would solve his money worries.:D

Oscar and Amy are both played by sets of twins.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I have to agree that children were never as prominent in the early years. Janine was probably the first one to appear more than once or twice a year and even then, she was about 6 when she arrived and it mostly consisted of her running out of the room after doing something vile to Pat, then there was some stuff about her being bullied and her reaction to Frank leaving, then she was written out for 3 years or so before returning at 16 played by Charlie to perform adult storylines. She had nowhere near the exposure that Tiff has had since her arrival.

I don't think that Michael is disinterested in children, I actually think that he is very aware, wants to interact with them but doesn't really know how. Hence the 'little person eating crisps' - a lot of people wouldn't even have noticed their presence and he didn't shove Morgan off him as an unwelcome presence, he just seemed a little bemused and unfamiliar with the open display of need and affection , which is actually rather sad.

The first Janine left at six, then returned three years later, played by a totally different kid with a totally different personality. She bonded with Pat, and also with Roy when he came into Pat's life. She bonded so closely with Pat that when Frank abandoned the family and she and Ricky went looking for him, she cried to go back to Pat. She formed a close friendship with Clare and Sonia and left to live with Frank when she was about thirteen and then returned 3 years later, played by Charlie Brooks, who was closer to the original Janine.