Life of Pi?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
Forum Member
Just seen this has been made into a film with Ang Lee as the director.
I loved the book but not sure how well it will work on screen.

Comments

• Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Trailer's out already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZEZ35Fhvuc

Looks good, I guess, but the Cloud Atlas trailer knocks it for six.

Weird. I have both books on the shelf waiting to be read, but can't quite pick either up.
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trailer's out already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZEZ35Fhvuc

Looks good, I guess, but the Cloud Atlas trailer knocks it for six.

Weird. I have both books on the shelf waiting to be read, but can't quite pick either up.

Jeez! How big are they? :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Have watched the trailer and I'm undecided if I like the look of or or not!
  • TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the book but I did wonder how it could be transferred to the big screen. Having seen the trailer, I'm now quite optomistic it could work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the trailer (was really long for a trailer!) and at the end I just thought wtf? It was just a scene with him on a boat with a tiger and fish :confused:
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the trailer (was really long for a trailer!) and at the end I just thought wtf? It was just a scene with him on a boat with a tiger and fish :confused:

Most of the story is of the boy on a boat with a tiger.

I thought the trailer looked great with the mix of the memories, the tragedy and the dream like quality required.
  • robot1000robot1000 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a free screening this coming sunday at a number of Odeon Cinemas:

http://www.showfilmfirst.com/service/

Code: 744394
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting 5 star review's trailer looks stunning will definately be checking this film out
  • LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Trailer looked great, it sold me! Never read the book but looking forward to the film.
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Going to see this on the 11th December, will let you know if it lives up to the hype...
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Same here. It looked shite!
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Doesn't really explain anything.....no clue what so ever, what it's about, apart from the shipwreck.

When I first saw it, and before the end of the 'trailer', I thought, The Jungle Book too...:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    It looks pretty good. I was a little disappointed to learn that most of the tiger scenes were done with special effects. I know it would be hard and dangerous to use a real tiger, but also more authentic!
    Forum Member
    hahaha, If it was a real tiger I might have watched it. Although it could have been turned into a snuff movie
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Bob125 wrote: »
    It looks pretty good. I was a little disappointed to learn that most of the tiger scenes were done with special effects. I know it would be hard and dangerous to use a real tiger, but also more authentic!

Probably wouldnt look to authentic as the tiger would need to have a rubber ring and armbands on its's legs at all times... Health and Safety rules must be followed. :D
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member

I know :confused: It had a kind of dreamy feel to it but beyond that I wasnt sure what to think. I havent read the book so dont really know it :o
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw the trailer in the cinema today and have to say it looks amazing. I didn't even know of it beforehand (or that it's based from a book).

I really want to see this :)
  • InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    Supposedly the tiger CGI effects are so real that when watching prelim screenings numerous members of the audience reported it to animal rights and ang lee had to verify four times that no harm was done to the tigers as it was CGI used in all but a few scenes
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have read the book, almost on a blind buy, and from the trailer and the clips i've seen it does look extremely accurate to it!

and the movie looks gorgeous and stunning
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    InTheLoop wrote: »
    Supposedly the tiger CGI effects are so real that when watching prelim screenings numerous members of the audience reported it to animal rights and ang lee had to verify four times that no harm was done to the tigers as it was CGI used in all but a few scenes

I heard the real tiger scenes on the boat were shot separately to the Pi on boat scenes and they merged the two
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The CGI animals (assuming they are) look so real. I can't wait to see it :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    I wonder how closely it follows the book?
    I can't see the Zebra,Hyena or Orangutan on the boat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The book was fantastic. If the movie captures 10% of that, I will be very happy.Going to see it in 3D on release day.
    Forum Member
    InTheLoop wrote: »
    wow :D
    Send them to watch Apocalypse Now! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    wow :D
    Send them to watch Apocalypse Now! :p

Didn't Coppolla merely film what the villagers were going to do anyway? I understand he didn't engineer it.