The Big Bang Theory

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    spectra wrote: »
    Phew what a relief. I really hope that they will pull out all the stops on the new series and can convince you to spend 22 mins at a time watching the episodes from this series that you have missed. Fingers crossed everyone this is a biggie, lets just hope and prey!
    No need for personal attacks
    Forums are a place for expressing opinions. Apologies, if you weren't expecting me to express my opinion on The Big Bang Theory on a forum for people to express their opinions on The Big Bang Theory...
  • DamandaDamanda Posts: 34,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the US. It's normally October/November on E4.

But this year Big Bang Theory has to prove itself, in my eyes, I've still not be able to persuade myself to watch the last episodes of last season. I'll watch the first two or three at US pace, but if they don't pull in, I won't watch the rest, if they do I'll watch the rest on E4...

I think that it suffered towards the end of the 5th series BUT I loved the last episode... very funny and touching.
    Go on..... persuade yourself :)

Does anyone know the scheduled UK airing for season 6 yet please?
  • bladedsbladeds Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    maurice45 wrote: »
    I agree. We all have our opinions, which is fine. If someone dislikes the show, they are well within their rights to do so.

What I DON'T like is for someone to jump in with a "how can you like this crap?" type post, or even an "oh great, another fan of this drivel" type post. I'll watch whatever I want without having to justify why to other people.

We are free to like The Big Bang Theory and find it funny without going to great lengths to discuss Sheldon's character development or whether or not the laughter track is enhanced and hey - whether or not scientists should be allowed to eat junk food!

I agree with this, its a sitcom not a drama.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Take out the laughter track, and then see how not funny the programme is. You only think it's funny because it goes like this:

"I got my Nintendo 64!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

"Oh my memory card is still here!!!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA

"I have a PHD"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

"Molybdenum"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Having attended two recordings of the Big Bang Theory (good Guy Fluctuation S5 and Re-Entry Minimisation S6 I can assure you it is not a laughter track).

The show is filmed right in front of about 150 people and recorded in sequence (as you see it on the TV).

The audience is shown a previously recorded episode (yet to air) prior to the recording of the show on the day. If there are any parts of the pre-recorded show that did not get a good response it is recut/rerecorded and then the current audiences' laughter is used instead.

The recording takes up to around 4 hours and during this period the audience is looked after by an MC (Mark Sweet) keeping spirits high and ensuring the mood remains light.

Great experience, wopuld recommend it to anyone.
    Forum Member
    Having attended two recordings of the Big Bang Theory (good Guy Fluctuation S5 and Re-Entry Minimisation S6 I can assure you it is not a laughter track).

The show is filmed right in front of about 150 people and recorded in sequence (as you see it on the TV).

The audience is shown a previously recorded episode (yet to air) prior to the recording of the show on the day. If there are any parts of the pre-recorded show that did not get a good response it is recut/rerecorded and then the current audiences' laughter is used instead.

The recording takes up to around 4 hours and during this period the audience is looked after by an MC (Mark Sweet) keeping spirits high and ensuring the mood remains light.

Great experience, wopuld recommend it to anyone.
    It is a laugh track, just recorded live. Most shows do it these days, 2 Broke Girls, Big Bang Theory and HIMYM (the only three laugh track sitcoms I watch) all use actual laughter rather than canned (Though HIMYM records on location/soundstage and the show is played back to a live audience to record thaelaugh track)
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a laugh track, just recorded live. Most shows do it these days, 2 Broke Girls, Big Bang Theory and HIMYM (the only three laugh track sitcoms I watch) all use actual laughter rather than canned (Though HIMYM records on location/soundstage and the show is played back to a live audience to record thaelaugh track)

Then explain why they record in front of an audience?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You can film in front of a live audience and still use a laugh track.
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    You can film in front of a live audience and still use a laugh track.

Of course you can, but it is ultimately pointless.
  • lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anybody got a link to the full unaired pilot? all i can find on yt is a 3 minute clip.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it's a laugh track in so far as it's a track of people laughing, but as you say - it's not "fake" in the sense "laugh track" can imply.
    Forum Member
    A laugh track is any recording of laughter added to the soundtrack of a TV or radio show. I don't know for certain, but I'd imagine the audience for most laugh track sitcoms is recorded and mixed in during post (rather than being present in the original recordings), meaning The Big Bang Theory, 2 Broke Girls, HIMYM, TAAHM, Rules of Engagement, Mike & Molly (that's 90% of CBS' comedy lineup) are laugh track sitcoms, they just don't use canned laughter (I've checked they all use a live audience)
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's where they get their laugh track from. From the audience.

I expect they have separate microphones for the audience and actors, and can control the level of the audience track in post-production. They would also have the option of moving laughs around in the edit, but wouldn't normally bother.

Laughter is a social thing. People laugh more when they are in an audience. That sometimes makes it sound more fake than it is.
  • HellwÿckHellwÿck Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    anybody got a link to the full unaired pilot? all i can find on yt is a 3 minute clip.

apparently all there is of the pilot is a 3 minute short.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hellwÿck wrote: »
    apparently all there is of the pilot is a 3 minute short.

No, I've seen the full pilot. It was pretty bad. You wouldn't want to watch it twice.

I can't remember the URL now, I did a quick search and found it in minutes a few months ago.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This the one :) Love the funky music in between scenes :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    :eek:

Words cannot express how shockingly bad that was!

Thank heavens they went back to the drawing board.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

(sigh) why?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet another comedy to use a character likely to have Asperger's, seems like it's becoming/might already be a comedy staple :rolleyes:

Jim Parsons is a good actor, but the writing is a little flat character development wise. Community and Alphas are much better in their writing and portrayal of characters with Asperger's/HFA.

Sheldon does not have Aspergers, my brother does and there is simply no way in hell Sheldon does, not even close and im quite annoyed anyone could possibly think he would have this condition.

This kind of rhetoric annoys me, it's like every kid these days seems to have dyslexia...utter crap dumbing down of real mental disorders similar to every headache these days now being a migrane or every little sniffle being flu...give me a break!

If you want to know what it's like to experience Aspergers, I suggest you read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time.
    Forum Member
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    Sheldon does not have Aspergers, my brother does and there is simply no way in hell Sheldon does, not even close and im quite annoyed anyone could possibly think he would have this condition.

This kind of rhetoric annoys me, it's like every kid these days seems to have dyslexia...utter crap dumbing down of real mental disorders similar to every headache these days now being a migrane or every little sniffle being flu...give me a break!

If you want to know what it's like to experience Aspergers, I suggest you read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time.

I don't need to know what it's like to have Aspergers. I already have NHS diagnosed Asperger's (so probably know a lot more about experiencing it than you) and have been frequently compared to Sheldon. Obviously Sheldon's what would be considered a moderate case, but it doesn't mean the writer's should be allowed to do whatever they want. I will emphasis that there's only one episode that's truly offended me, and can't even remember which one. I just think that the characterization of moderately autistic characters has been done better on other sitcoms.

I have already read The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night Time (btw, Mark Haddon, the author, admitted he doesn't know that much about Asperger's, and he regrets labeling Christopher Boone with it)...

That's not to say TBBT is a bad show, I just wish they'd put a bit more thought into it, even if they weren't willing to publicly say he has it (or a similar cognitive disorder).
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend who lives over there was in the audience one week and said it was all LIVE. People forget that these people that go watch this LOVE these characters, get all the jokes and all that. However they do fix a couple of things, but it doesn't happen much. For example in S4, when Penny speaks about her ex boyfriend she says "He didn't challenge me... on an intellectual level" to which someone in the audience laughs very loud by himself, in the actual episode, that laugh is removed and there is no laughter for that line.

So they actually remove laughter rather than add them most of the time. It's 99% from the live audience. You can tell because for example in the infamous scene where Penny gives Sheldon the present, you can tell the laughter is real and the applause, because it is all out of time, if it was canned, the audience would be made to sound like they were laughing all together, but that scene you can hear different people laugh in different stages and not altogether, proving that was the real reaction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlhHTdDqoBc
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    You can tell because ... ... because it is all out of time, if it was canned, the audience would be made to sound like they were laughing all together, but that scene you can hear different people laugh in different stages and not altogether, proving that was the real reaction.

that makes no sense. if it were canned it would be exactly how they wanted it to be. if they thought being out of time was more realistic then that is what they do.

however i do think the laughter track. however it is formed is perfectly natural sounding. and doesn't detract from the show.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    that makes no sense. if it were canned it would be exactly how they wanted it to be. if they thought being out of time was more realistic then that is what they do.

however i do think the laughter track. however it is formed is perfectly natural sounding. and doesn't detract from the show.

Okay well then, my other point stands... my friend went to see it and it was completely a live audience. I don't know why people have a hard time believing its filmed in front of a live studio audience. This may have been quite rare before, but a lot of shows are not filmed live infront of an audience. Another new show... Melissa and Joey is another one. I think Baby Daddy is too.
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    Okay well then, my other point stands... my friend went to see it and it was completely a live audience. I don't know why people have a hard time believing its filmed in front of a live studio audience. This may have been quite rare before, but a lot of shows are not filmed live infront of an audience. Another new show... Melissa and Joey is another one. I think Baby Daddy is too.

Loads of sitcoms are filmed in front of a live audience (or use one for a laugh track), doesn't make them universally funny. Like many people I cannot stand 2.5 men, but apparently that films in front of a live audience...

For reference, here's a list of live audience sitcoms, that I've managed to find:
    2 Broke Girls - CBS
    Baby Daddy - ABC Family
    The Big Bang Theory - CBS
    How I Met Your Mother - CBS [Not filmed in front of audience, but live audience recorded and added during post]
    Last Man Standing - CBS
    Melissa & Joey - ABC Family
    Mike & Molly - CBS
    Partners - CBS
    Rules of Engagement - CBS
    Saturday Night Live - NBC
    Two And A Half Men - CBS
    Whitney - NBC

I think that list covers most laugh track comedy shows on TV, faking it is probably an act of the past. The only notable show not on the list is Charlie Sheen's Anger Management, I was unable to find out whether it used a live audience or not.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only recently got into The Big Bang Theory. I rarely watch consecutive episodes though and it seems like the ones I catch on E4 are on a series loop. It confuses me because one time I watch it and Penny and Leonard are together, the next they aren't and I don't know whether that episode predates or was after the last one I saw!

If that were how I'd watched Friends then it would be a case of Rachel and Ross being on...off...on again...off again etc.

Oh wait, that's how it really was! :p