Options

All Sky Android apps hacked

Comments

• Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    This angers me a lot. Why did google and Sky not automatically pull / uninstall the app. They need to give everyone as much information as they have on what this potentially malicious app may have leaked, or whether we also need to consider a full password reset on all accounts used on your phone.

Well the apps are pulled now. As ever though Sky's communication is lacking. No updates on twitter, only mention on Facebook was in response to customers asking....
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    the app appears to have been removed from google play.

My suspicion would be the the syrian electronic army do not have the skills to push through a malicious android app. and all they've done is got sky's login for their dev account and made merry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    Well ive deleted Sky Go just thinking if its best to delete everything on my nexus 7.

tbh, deleting the sky apps is a precaution, I don't think any more than that is necessary at this stage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    the app appears to have been removed from google play.

My suspicion would be the the syrian electronic army do not have the skills to push through a malicious android app. and all they've done is got sky's login for their dev account.

I'm not sure about pushing a *malicious* app, but several sky apps were showing as having been recently updated late last night.

You can see in the screenshots (e.g. http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/05/26/british-broadcaster-sky-news-has-all-of-its-android-apps-hacked-by-the-syrian-electronic-army/ ) that the updated date is yesterday
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least in this case it isn't about slipping in some trojan when they are so open about it. This is a price to pay for openness of Android, it's not unlike Windows in that respect. Although here's an entity one think they could trust and there's no way for a downloader to say something is wrong. A stronger control of Google Play accounts would be nice, two step authentification, for example, login, password, and security code. Or apps signed by author's certificate.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This angers me a lot. Why did google and Sky not automatically pull / uninstall the app. They need to give everyone as much information as they have on what this potentially malicious app may have leaked, or whether we also need to consider a full password reset on all accounts used on your phone.

They do need to give people more information than just a tweet, that I never would have known about unless I'd read about it on this forum and even them most people wouldn't come to the tech forums anyway!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    A stronger control of Google Play accounts would be nice, two step authentification, for example, login, password, and security code. Or apps signed by author's certificate.

I believe that developers have these options available, but e.g. 2-step isn't compulsory. Signing is I think?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do need to give people more information than just a tweet, that I never would have known about unless I'd read about it on this forum and even them most people wouldn't come to the tech forums anyway!

agreed. Sky communication is abysmal, especially as people have since questioned the authenticity of the tweet.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've deleted the apps as a precaution.

It seems they've hacked the Sky Help Team Twitter account, which was meant to be available for queries as usual from 9am, but at present has nothing since the strange messages from last night.

https://twitter.com/skyhelpteam

The applications have since been withdrawn from the Google Play store, with the @SkyHelpTeam Twitter account now seemingly urging its customers to uninstall the apps on their devices, although it's possible that the Twitter account has also been compromised. "All Sky's Android apps were hacked and replaced... please uninstall it, And we will let you know when it [sic] will be available," reads the latest tweet from the account at the time of writing.

Security experts say the broken English in the tweet and lack of official confirmation on Sky's website are suspicious. "I’m not saying that Sky didn’t have its Google Play account hacked, or that the entries for its Android apps were not defaced," writes Sophos security expert Graham Cluley. "At the time of writing, many Sky Android apps are unavailable to access via Google Play which indicates that something unusual has happened. Frustratingly, that also means that they cannot be downloaded to check for signs of malware or tampering.

"But we should retain a healthy skepticism about implicitly trusting warnings that have only been shared via Twitter, especially when the reported attack relates to a group with a history of hacking the Twitter accounts of media organisations."
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/382063/sky-android-apps-attacked
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a price to pay for openness of Android, it's not unlike Windows in that respect.
    If they had hacked into Apple you might just get the exact same too.

Heck, they also might even have been Apple's Microsoft servers hacked, if they have them.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    If they had hacked into Apple you might just get the exact same too.

Heck, they also might even have been Apple's Microsoft servers hacked, if they have them.

If you upload to Microsoft via your account the certification process starts. It never took less than 24 hours for my app to go live. Not sure how Apple works. So no, it would not be the same if they hacked into Sky's MS account.
  • Options
    jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least for once the status page has been updated, although gives no reason or advice on the issue

Sky Status
    Update: Sky Android apps are not currently available for download from Google Play. We are working to restore them. Further updates to follow
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The unnecessary capital A after the comma makes me wonder if the tweet even came from Sky. I guess it did, but was sent in rush by some techie.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,987
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    I've got AVG Pro running. It's not detected anything dodgy from the 5 or 6 Sky apps I've got installed. Will keep monitoring the situation.
    Did an AVG scan. No warnings. All apps seem to be working fine. No evidence of tampering of news or sports stories. Sky Go seems fine too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fortunately my phone was off last night and I read this before turning it on! so I disabled mobile data the second it booted and then immediately uninstalled the app.

Android apps are sandboxed, so should have access to any other app's data, only services available via the phone's API. The worst that could happen is the app having the ability to send messages, make calls or too many permissions I guess.

As others have said it sounds like the app listing on the site was hacked, we don't know if they tried to push out an updated app.

They need 2FA for uploads and store changes only to be done from a locked down, limited access machine from now on, how it should have been done in the first place! The limited access machine should have no internet access except the store and software updates from trusted sources. The developer private keys should not be on any other machine, when they want to push out an update or modify the store they use that secure machine(s).

That's the way it should be done really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky have switched to their secondary twitter account
    https://twitter.com/skyhelpteam1

no further information.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Sky have switched to their secondary twitter account
    https://twitter.com/skyhelpteam1

no further information.

I think that makes it obvious that their main account has been hacked, with the poorly written messages about the hacked apps not coming from Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that makes it obvious that their main account has been hacked, with the poorly written messages about the hacked apps not coming from Sky.

No not necessarily. The poorly written messages were just saying the same thing Sky has been repeating on Facebook today. Still reckon they were just written in a hurry at half one in the morning.

e.g. Facebook today
    "Hi Jemma, we are advising all our customers who has (sic) a Sky App on an Android device to delete it. Once we have more information we will update everyone. Kat"

What is more likely is they're doing a big security overhaul and trying to figure out what parts may have been compromised, and as a precaution they've changed the password on the first twitter and not got it back up yet.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is disgusting that Sky haven't been looking after the Android Sky Apps, not only do they not give support to larger Android devices due to them jumping into bed with Apple, but also allow the apps to get hacked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UPDATE: All Sky's Android apps were hacked and replaced... please uninstall it, And we will let you know when it will be available

It should have been "please uninstall them, and we will let you know when they will be available"

I wonder if they really came from Sky given the bad English and unnecessary capitalisation etc. It is also not clear if the apps were replaced.

I really hope the police catch up with these people, I'm sick of script kiddies thinking they are fighting some "cause" by hacking accounts and inconveniencing loads of people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should have been "please uninstall them, and we will let you know when they will be available"

I wonder if they really came from Sky given the bad English and unnecessary capitalisation etc.

Some of Sky's operators are based in India. So maybe they wrote it???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of Sky's operators are based in India. So maybe they wrote it???

That would explain it.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    they do need to put out some more information.

It's shocking the lack of communication.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    they do need to put out some more information.

It's shocking the lack of communication.

unfortunately it's well know that sky don't give a toss about android
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a price to pay for openness of Android

What does that mean?

If someone hacks into a developer's account on any platform, then they can do all sorts of malicious things.

People don't realise how programs work. Do you REALLY know what's happening behind the scenes in your web browser right now? You have to trust that wherever you got it from isn't trying to con you.

Many things have slipped past Apple's approval processes, simply because they can't check for people misusing the APIs Apple provides. The automated checks they run are to filter out Apps that do things Apple does not permit.
    I think the bigger worry should be how the Syrian Electronic Army managed to infiltrate Google Play, a website with 128-bit encryption which also handles transactions for digital media in order to hack both Sky's apps and description pages.

I have already seen a few Apple fans gloat at this news, because I suspect they know the consequences of the above.

Well, they'd be shown to be absolute morons then! It's far easier to just hack someone's password.

It's looking quite likely that their Twitter account got hacked too!

Presumably, they couldn't - their account was hacked!
    Android apps are sandboxed, so should have access to any other app's data, only services available via the phone's API. The worst that could happen is the app having the ability to send messages, make calls or too many permissions I guess.

Android Apps can access data stored on the "SD card" (or if your phone doesn't have one, the large amount of internal flash storage).

Some Apps store data there, so it could be copied, deleted or modified.