Transparent

Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else watching this on Amazon prime?

I'm halfway through the 2nd episode and it's getting interesting.

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waiting for a renewal but it is seriously getting some major acclaim and love by people.
  • CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just watched the pilot last night and I love it. Jeffrey Tambor and Judith Light are always great and the show has the quirky sort of hipster feel with production design similar to a Whit Stillman or Wes Anderson film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has Judith light in it? Omg, that's even better. I adore her.
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Binged it all.

It was very good. Funny, sad, moving, adult, well written, very well acted. All the things you'd want from a drama.

I have no idea if they'll be a second series but I'd definitely watch it if there were.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    All the things you'd want from a drama.

I haven't seen it, but I see it described as a comedy-drama rather than a drama, and I believe the episodes are half-hour episodes, correct?
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose given the situations that it would be described as a comedy drama. Yes 10 x 30 minutes episodes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5 episodes in to it and it is a brilliant show
    Jeffrey Tambor is just excellent and deserves to sweep the television award nominations and wins next year. Judith light is fabulous as always but terribly underused.

I am shocked at how little discussion there is on this show on DS
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CPW4EVER wrote: »
    I just watched the pilot last night and I love it. Jeffrey Tambor and Judith Light are always great and the show has the quirky sort of hipster feel with production design similar to a Whit Stillman or Wes Anderson film.

I was thinking Wes Anderson too. Just seen the free pilot & will have to see the rest now! It's very HBO, which (for me) is always a good thing!
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Transparent was renewed for a second series last week, for those asking. :)
  • MissySmithMissySmith Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    This was a refreshingly dark and humorous, slightly touching,family drama. Can't wait for the next season.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hooked Hooked Hooked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    Binged it all.

It was very good. Funny, sad, moving, adult, well written, very well acted. All the things you'd want from a drama.

I have no idea if they'll be a second series but I'd definitely watch it if there were.

I did the same and feel exactly the same as above!! I wasn't really expecting much but after every episode, I just had to watch the next...I was sad when it was all finished! One note though- I did feel some situations were rushed like the eldest daughter bumping into and getting back together with her ex lover- but all in all, I loved it!
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love this show! Glad it's getting a second series
  • marios mummarios mum Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Almost a year since the last post on this thread! Just finished watching the last episode of the second series - it is one of the best things I've watched - ever. Really really hope they'll be another series - anyone else still watching?

Should have looked before posting! Third season due on Amazon in 2016 :D:D:D
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marios mum wrote: »
    Almost a year since the last post on this thread! Just finished watching the last episode of the second series - it is one of the best things I've watched - ever. Really really hope they'll be another series - anyone else still watching?

Should have looked before posting! Third season due on Amazon in 2016 :D:D:D

I watched the first series and totally loved it. The second series has its moments (the last two episodes especially), but it feels like the spotlight has been taken away from Maura which, for me, is a mis-step. There have been countless series about dysfunctional families and, however well written Transparent may be (and it is), reducing the 'trans' element to do stories about the kids' love lives is selling short the whole point of the series. I'm not saying we shouldn't see any of them at all - just less of them.

But I'm realy glad it's been renewed, and I hope we have more trans stories next time - that's what made the first series so unique (and moving).
  • primosprimosprimosprimos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    I watched the first series and totally loved it. The second series has its moments (the last two episodes especially), but it feels like the spotlight has been taken away from Maura which, for me, is a mis-step. There have been countless series about dysfunctional families and, however well written Transparent may be (and it is), reducing the 'trans' element to do stories about the kids' love lives is selling short the whole point of the series. I'm not saying we shouldn't see any of them at all - just less of them.

But I'm realy glad it's been renewed, and I hope we have more trans stories next time - that's what made the first series so unique (and moving).

Completely agree, Servalan. As the best thing on television-ish, they owe us a continuation of the excellence that was the first series. If not, well they are just another show.

Tambor is amazing.
  • paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My thoughts exactly.
    The transgender storyline is what made S1 so unique and enjoyable, S2 was more of a "just another comedy-drama". Still highly enjoyable, but could have been so much more.
  • marios mummarios mum Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I do agree, Man on the Land was excellent and I loved the coming together of the flashbacks and who was who, very poignant at the end when Mort was born 'you have a lovely baby boy' and thinking nooooo you don't.
  • BertCleeverhookBertCleeverhook Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    Man on the Land was amazing. I would love to see more of the Institute and Gittel's story.
  • BertCleeverhookBertCleeverhook Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    Transparent's back next month! That's a pleasant surprise, I was expecting it in December like last year.