Prometheus - Ridley Scotts Alien Prequel

Comments

• IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    K2ray wrote: »
    R rated looks on in US (http://www.totalfilm.com/news/prometheus-will-receive-an-r-rating) so, yes, a 15 (maybe) 18 certificate looks on for the UK. Looks like FOX has learnt from the mistakes of AVP.

Basing that news article on one supposed ticket stub is foolish, to say the least. It could be photoshopped or it could be a mistake.

Until it's officially announced by the MPAA (US) and BBFC (UK) then take all such 'reports' with a skip load of salt.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    It won't be an '18' certificate.

Unfortunately.....I would be surprised if that was the case
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately.....I would be surprised if that was the case

Why 'unfortunately'?
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    Why 'unfortunately'?

Because of the studios' insistence of toning down films in order to cater for the "teen" audience...imagine if Ridley Scott made Alien over the last few years...it would never have been rated "18"
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't see what the problem would be in the BBFC awarding Prometheus a 15. Younger kids wouldn't be seeing this anyway. It's so sad to see top directors having to pussy-foot around their own movie cause they're panicking about the rating. The studios and ratings boards are stubbing the directors' creative flow!
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought if Alien was made today, in the exact state it which it was made in 1979, it would probably get a 15, the goalposts have moved so much over the years.

A 15 certificate Prometheus would be no disaster, 12A on the other hand would be disappointing, but if Avengers can get away with
    Mewling Quim

Then who knows?
    Forum Member
    Alien on DVD or Blu-ray is still rated 18 ............
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would it have gone through reclassification for the BD release? If so then I'm clearly completely wrong!
  • K2rayK2ray Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »
    Basing that news article on one supposed ticket stub is foolish, to say the least. It could be photoshopped or it could be a mistake.

Until it's officially announced by the MPAA (US) and BBFC (UK) then take all such 'reports' with a skip load of salt.

It's not just the ticket stub (which IMO does not look Photoshopped). Somebody on twitter has watched a pre-screening and tweeted that the violence/gore is "OTT".
    Forum Member
    K2ray wrote: »
    It's not just the ticket stub (which IMO does not look Photoshopped). Somebody on twitter has watched a pre-screening and tweeted that the violence/gore is "OTT".

Fair enough, so I assume that the pre-screening was definitely the final cut?

And was the Twitter poster genuine, or trolling?
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »
    Alien on DVD or Blu-ray is still rated 18 ............

Maybe the implied 'rape' of Lambert by the alien is what keeps the rating up there?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would it have gone through reclassification for the BD release? If so then I'm clearly completely wrong!

The actual movie hasn't been re-classified since 2003, when it got a 15:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/FVF013217/

Several commentary versions have been rated 15 and one 18.
  • InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    The international trailer looks amazing.
    I have certain theories of what might happen:
    The crew find the extra-terrestrial eggs which are all prototypes that were originally going to be used for different universe species.

However something made the space jockeys (the original biomechanical race engineers) unable to finish their mission (we see them running away from a hologram that might have been made hundreds/thousands of years ago), maybe because another life form already existed and killed/drove them away. Various members of the crew get infected or are eaten.

Whereas the mix of DNA to humans means they morph into (as we know them) the xenomorphs, David, due to his andorid-status, becomes an altogether unbeknowst being. Whereas the crew now xenomorphs only care about killing and destruction, David has been turned into a giant hybrid who supports what the spacejockeys originally intended to do. He is the one seen in the trailer sitting in the "pilot" seat and about to attack Shaw in the Prometheus airshaft.

The chestburster or another type of parasite exists as there is 100% evidence that Holloway has a small eye worm and Shaw has had a parasite ejected from her spleen/stomach.
    The alien spaceship is flown by the pilot (David) yet the remaining prometheus crew know that they have to stop it from reaching earth so deliberately fly prometheus into it. One/two escape through a shuttle/escape pot onto a 2nd prometheus (probably either Shaw/Vickers (maybe both), in the hope of returning to earth yet David manages to get onto it too. ...where a final battle ensues
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Now confirmed by Fox as having received an R rating by the MPAA for “sci-fi violence including some intense images, and brief language.” (scroll down to the text in red in this link):

http://collider.com/prometheus-rating-rated-r/164532/

Great :D It'll still be a 15 over here i bet, but at least it wont be a "weak" 15.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to the midnight at the local arthouse on May 31st in glorious 2D! Cannot wait!
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Brief language', meaning one use of the F word? This sounds like it could get a 12A still... :(

Please, God, no!
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    'Brief language', meaning one use of the F word? This sounds like it could get a 12A still... :(

Please, God, no!

Generally if a film gets an R rating mainly for it's violence (which appears to be the case here) then it'll be highly likely to at least get a 15 over here. The BBFC tend to be harsher on violence than the MPAA, and i can't see it being "borderline" R type violence, because you'd think that Fox would be pushing for slight cuts if that were the case. I'll be shocked if this gets a 12A (hopefully i've not jinxed it now though...).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Fox spokesman confirmed to IGN that Prometheus is a 15 in the UK.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/05/09/prometheus-receives-15-certificate-in-uk
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    A Fox spokesman confirmed to IGN that Prometheus is a 15 in the UK.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/05/09/prometheus-receives-15-certificate-in-uk

Excellent:) Got my midnight IMAX tickets booked for June 1st, can't wait!:D
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The certificate will say more about the tone of the film rather than the actual gore content methinks. You can get away with murder these days so if it's a 15 then it should mean the film has a more adult tone to it.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :( Doesn't seem to be showing on the two Glasgow IMAX screens for some reason. It's just kiddie films in the Science Centre IMAX and 'not available' on the Braehead one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbfc consumer advice for Prometheus is "contains strong violence, gore, threat and horror".
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im nearly 30 and never seen any of the alien films,think i will watch prometheous first and then watch the original trilogy,or was it 4?
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    bbfc consumer advice for Prometheus is "contains strong violence, gore, threat and horror".

no bad language or nudity ?
    Forum Member
    no bad language or nudity ?

It doesn't really need it does it? I'm no prude or anthing, but i'm not overly bothered that the film isn't littered with F-bombs. Alien didn't have much swearing in it anyway.

It sounds like the violence is "hard" enough by itself for the film to get a higher rating, so i wouldn't worry about it still being toned down (the fact that the BBFC synopsis mentions "gore" pretty much means that the film couldn't have been a 12A anyway).