Options

Gallipoli forgotten in the UK

bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
Forum Member
✭✭
Is it me, or does the British Media (and public)seem to forget that Britain lost about 43,000 men at Gallipoli in World War 1?

Struggling to see how Britain will mark this event. ANZAC Day in Gallpoli for the Australian and New Zealanders is going to be marked, but get the feeling we are forgetting in the UK.

I hope to get there next year, as my Great Grandfather died there, but when you mention World War One people seem only to think of the Western Front.

Comments

• Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am well aware of it. Two of my father's uncles died there.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    It does seem to be seen as more of an antipodean thing, even though British losses were higher. I'm not sure why. It was a huge waste of lives on both sides.
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grandfather wounded there, Great Uncle killed, both Lancashire Fusiliers.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    well what other major battles have the australian and new zealand forces faced in their history? britain has probably fought many dozen significant battles in the past 300 years
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    well what other major battles have the australian and new zealand forces faced in their history? britain has probably fought many dozen significant battles in the past 300 years

Vietnam
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am well aware of it my Great Uncle was in the Navy and died of wounds received at Gallipoli
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    getzls wrote: »
    Vietnam

...That are also something that can remembered with pride.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for replies thus far.

I see a lot of our friends in Australia and New Zealand will be there next year to mark Centenary. Hope we British will make an effort to visit. Certainly my cousin and I hope to be first family to visit out great grandfathers memorial.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time will wipe most memories of war. lets move on.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't forgotten it. Nor have I forgotten the Mel Gibson film of the same name.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it me, or does the British Media (and public)seem to forget that Britain lost about 43,000 men at Gallipoli in World War 1?

Hardly; it resurfaces every time Winston Churchill's early career is mentioned...;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    contrarian wrote: »
    Time will wipe most memories of war. lets move on.

Sure it has for many wars. But as maybe the first war to use the media of film. will the great war forgotten that easily.

Or should the Centenary close the book so to speak?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I haven't forgotten it. Nor have I forgotten the Mel Gibson film of the same name.

I mostly remember it because one of my favourite bands has a song about it. I've never seen the film.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    JmThey dont want to know about the white feather campaign either, and the women that bullied and shamed boys and young men into fighting and dying in the hell that was that war. ]
  • Options
    iris_de_baumeiris_de_baume Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    I mostly remember it because one of my favourite bands has a song about it. I've never seen the film.

"And the band played Waltzing Matilda"?
  • Options
    Forum Member

No, it's called Cliffs Of Gallipoli.

I'd actually forgotten about that one. I like it too :)
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

Struggling to see how Britain will mark this event. ANZAC Day in Gallpoli for the Australian and New Zealanders is going to be marked, but get the feeling we are forgetting in the UK.

I hope to get there next year, as my Great Grandfather died there, but when you mention World War One people seem only to think of the Western Front.

As it's the anniversary of the start of WWI, I would have thought that this high profile campaign would be covered at some stage on TV, radio and in the newspapers.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a terrible and senseless war. My great-uncle died not long before the armistice. I've sometimes thought of going over to France to visit his grave. I think it's good how they still look after them over there, after all this time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Written by Eric Bogle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_the_Band_Played_Waltzing_Matilda
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »

I have the Eric Bogle CD in my car. I saw him on his final tour to the UK.
  • Options
    GalindaGalinda Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I saw that film when I was quite young and it sparked my interest in the First World War and history. The ending is devastating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    I have the Eric Bogle CD in my car. I saw him on his final tour to the UK.

The Pogues version is the only one I know. I'd forgotten about it though, as I haven't listened to that album in years.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    They both had many soldiers fighting in WW2 and featured in all the big campaigns.
    Hardly; it resurfaces every time Winston Churchill's early career is mentioned...;-)

It was a plan to knock Turkey out of the war and with a bit more luck could have succeeded.
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, it's you.

Just because the average Joe isn't an expert on the secondary fronts of WW1 doesn't lessen the sacrifice of your relative.