New to Sky HD...Daft questions

logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,
We finally upgraded to Sky HD and after waiting 2 hours to download an episode of Elementary from Living OD i have a question or two..

When renting a film will we need to download it the night before we want to watch it? How long can we "keep" a film unwatched before it's deleted?
Would it be quicker if i connected my router to the box with an ethernet cable rather than using the wifi?
I play xbox online often and have never had any issue with internet speed or lag.

Also, on the On Demand demonstration video, it says that programmes on the showcase tab have already been sent to the box and are ready to view straight away and that is indicated by a play arrow below the programme. Except none of the content on my showcase tab have this.

Thanks

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    showcase content can take a couple of weeks to fully populate.
    if you've only had your HD box for a day or so then it's normal for you to have none.

the speed at which content downloads from catchup/on demand/store will depends on the speed of your internet (you didn't state what speed you get).
    ethernet connection is always preferred over wifi - more stable and faster.

expiry dates are usually stated in the synopsis info for the content.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    logansdad wrote: »
    We finally upgraded to Sky HD and after waiting 2 hours to download an episode of Elementary from Living OD i have a question or two..

When renting a film will we need to download it the night before we want to watch it? How long can we "keep" a film unwatched before it's deleted?
    It depends on your Broadband speed! It lets you start watching ("downloading" changes to"available") quite soon if the box sees that the download speed is FASTER than the HD data rate (which is perhaps about 5Mb/s). If your download speed is too slow then it needs to download most of it before allowing you to start watching

You can keep a downloaded film unwatched for a week - and it does not charge you if it is NEVER watched. Once you start watching it you can watch it again (and again!) for the next 24 hours
    Would it be quicker if i connected my router to the box with an ethernet cable rather than using the wifi?
    I play xbox online often and have never had any issue with internet speed or lag.
    You should be able to get >20Mb/s out of a good WiFi connection - if the Broadband can go that fast! If the WiFi signal is weak, then perhaps!
    Also, on the On Demand demonstration video, it says that programmes on the showcase tab have already been sent to the box and are ready to view straight away and that is indicated by a play arrow below the programme. Except none of the content on my showcase tab have this.
    Sky Showcase is downloaded via the satellite each night. It can take about a week for it to get fully up to date!
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice chaps. I've got a feeling that our internet speed is 10Mb. We watched Big Bang Theory on 4OD tonight and it downloaded pretty much straight away.