The State Funeral of Sir Winston Chirchill - BBC Parliament - 30 January 2015

13»

Comments

• lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The BBC press release at the time says 36 cameras were used at 14 locations in London. ''A recording of the funeral will be shown simultaneously on BBC1 and BBC2 later in the evening.'' A special edition of Radio Times detailing the service was produced costing 6p. Richard Dimbleby was described as ''the sole commentator.''I'm assuming that was every OB unit in London plus probably Birmingham, Manchester and Bristol.

The contemporary report in the Grauniad says they had been planning for five years and thirty seven cameras with the central control room in the crypt of St Pauls.

ITV had several more OB cameras and used their control room in Kingsway. Brian Connell did their commentary off monitor screens rather than direct from St Pauls as Richard Dimbleby did.

Most West European countries showed the whole funeral live, just the Portuguese and Spanish did not take it.
  • tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    ITV had several more OB cameras and used their control room in Kingsway. Brian Connell did their commentary off monitor screens rather than direct from St Pauls as Richard Dimbleby did.

It was a serious milestone for broadcasting. The press were reporting a rivalry between BBC and ITV over the number of cameras, which naturally ITV won. There was even a sort of bidding war based around escalations in the numbers of camera positions as more and more OB units were sequestrated.

I wonder who produced ITV's pictures from the Cathedral? At the Charles/Di wedding it was Anglia.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A relatively modest 21 cameras were used by the BBC for the Coronation, yet another milestone.Richard Dimbleby was again the commentator. Although TV did not cover the whole of the UK then it was estimated that 20.50 million watched the TV coverage and another 11.750 million listened on radio, it was probably radio's last big event before TV took over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    realwales wrote: »

I don't want to be morbid, but the BBC really needs to get the coverage of the Queen's funeral right when the time comes. There's a fair chance David Dimbleby will be very old himself by then, so who else could commentate on it? The BBC seems to be preparing Eddie Butler for these big occasions. The Queen's death will have a far bigger impact on the nation than most people realise.
    Eddie Butler? Suspect because of the 'occasion' they may go for Huw Edwards and keep Dimbleby,D to the studio presentation duties.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eddie Butler ?

Huw Edwards has already been announced as the successor to Dimbleby
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember an episode of Pointless where a contestant didn't recognise Churchill from a picture.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC audience research reported that 19 million watched the funeral on the BBC,the
    largest UK TV audience recorded at that time. There don't seem to be any figures for the ITV audience (BBC and ITV did separate audience research in those days).A contemporary report in the Telegraph says ITV deployed 45 cameras.
  • JezRJezR Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tedjrr wrote: »
    I wonder who produced ITV's pictures from the Cathedral? At the Charles/Di wedding it was Anglia.
    The whole coverage was co-ordinated by Rediffusion under the overall direction of Peter Morley. He was appointed in 1960 so had a few years to plan as well.

He had 45 cameras and 300 people.

The main OB equipment in and around St Pauls was from ABC and Granada; support equipment came from ATV, Southern, Anglia, TWW and Scottish as well as Rediffusion, plus ITN.

The control centre was the This Week studio.

ITV offered to pool completely with the BBC, who refused.
  • Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The engine which pulled his funeral train and bore his name is undergoing cosmetic restoration on the Watercress line - it will never steam again - sad really!
  • Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    The BBC replayed Churchill's funeral on BBC Parliament on or close to the 40th anniversary 10 years ago. I missed it sadly, but will definitely be watching this time.

They also replayed Diana's funeral a few years ago, where David Dimbleby added a bit at the end where he reflected on it.

I don't want to be morbid, but the BBC really needs to get the coverage of the Queen's funeral right when the time comes. There's a fair chance David Dimbleby will be very old himself by then, so who else could commentate on it? The BBC seems to be preparing Eddie Butler for these big occasions. The Queen's death will have a far bigger impact on the nation than most people realise.
    Eddie Butler ? I think realwales means Eddie Mair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eddie Butler ? I think realwales means Eddie Mair.

While it's an interesting idea that a rugby commentator should be covering great state occasions I think it might be a bit too much for the BBC to handle. I'm surprised no-one has yet suggested Clare Balding.
  • JezRJezR Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OTOH Brian Johnston used to cover a lot of state occasions as a commentator, including the funeral of George VI and the Coronation on radio.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    While it's an interesting idea that a rugby commentator should be covering great state occasions I think it might be a bit too much for the BBC to handle. I'm surprised no-one has yet suggested Clare Balding.

I think a few 'major occasion' commentators have come from sport, hate the suggestion of Eddie Mair!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JezR wrote: »
    OTOH Brian Johnston used to cover a lot of state occasions as a commentator, including the funeral of George VI and the Coronation on radio.

Raymond Baxter was actually the stand-by commentator for the funeral but was never used.
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't being flippant when I said Eddie Butler could commentate on the Queen's funeral when the time comes. He has already done the Normandy event and the Westminster Abbey candlelit service so far this year.

Huw Edwards has been announced as David Dimbleby's successor on election night/day programmes, and indeed he's already being eased in by doing the Scottish referendum night (he's already got a lot of experience on Welsh election programmes), but on important national occasions like weddings, funerals and memorial events, it's less clear who will succeed Dimbleby.

It's quite possible that the Queen will be with us for some time yet. Dimbleby is already 76.
  • David_VaughanDavid_Vaughan Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't being flippant when I said Eddie Butler could commentate on the Queen's funeral when the time comes. He has already done the Normandy event and the Westminster Abbey candlelit service so far this year.

Huw Edwards has been announced as David Dimbleby's successor on election night/day programmes, and indeed he's already being eased in by doing the Scottish referendum night (he's already got a lot of experience on Welsh election programmes), but on important national occasions like weddings, funerals and memorial events, it's less clear who will succeed Dimbleby.

It's quite possible that the Queen will be with us for some time yet. Dimbleby is already 76.

He is still yonger than the Queen
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    JezR wrote: »
    The whole coverage was co-ordinated by Rediffusion under the overall direction of Peter Morley. He was appointed in 1960 so had a few years to plan as well.

He had 45 cameras and 300 people.

The main OB equipment in and around St Pauls was from ABC and Granada; support equipment came from ATV, Southern, Anglia, TWW and Scottish as well as Rediffusion, plus ITN.

The control centre was the This Week studio.

ITV offered to pool completely with the BBC, who refused.

Must have been interesting for engineers to see what equipment other companies had, and compare to see who had the best!

Personally, on looking back on archive black and white programming, I find programmes made using Marconi MkIIIs the best. Pye MkVs and EMI 203s were often too contrasty for my liking, though sometimes they were on a par with the MkIIIs, too.
  • shedsevenshedseven Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am looking forward to seeing this. I always enjoy seeing repeats of General Election coverage on BBC Parliament, but this is such an event in history it will be good to see it for the first time as I was born 8 years after the event. Richard Dimbleby has such high regard as a commentator on such occasions, it will be interesting to listen to his commentary, as I believe he was on air unaccompanied for almost 4 hours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shedseven wrote: »
    I am looking forward to seeing this. I always enjoy seeing repeats of General Election coverage on BBC Parliament, but this is such an event in history it will be good to see it for the first time as I was born 8 years after the event. Richard Dimbleby has such high regard as a commentator on such occasions, it will be interesting to listen to his commentary, as I believe he was on air unaccompanied for almost 4 hours.

The broadcast lasted from 9.20 am until just after 1.30 pm, Dimbleby was the sole commentator.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jeffersbnl wrote: »
    Correct - although the BBC VT isn't complete, its slightly edited - about 15 minutes in total is missing. I've read somewhere its thought to come from an edited repeat shown for the 10th anniversary. When its been released on video or DVD its always been advertised as the most complete version that exists in the archives. The quality is very good.

The ITV coverage - which gets an outing on occasion - looks more like a telerecording with scratches and dirt showing up on the film.

Is there a complete BBC telerecording of the 66?

Surprised it hasn't been used for a restoration!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC coverage was directed by Antony Craxton - in a private memo Dimbleby said he would like his own funeral to be covered by Craxton !