Vampire Diaries - Anyone else getting bored of it?

Comments

• LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »
    Hey, we can't forget Miss Mystic Falls that is April Young! :D

I actually quite liked April, but her character is being sorely neglected after that initial start. Yeah, I pegged her for Jeremy's new girlfriend, but I guess now that this whole Silas nonsense has ramped up she's been abandoned.

She's more interesting than that endlessly bland werewolf girl and yet she gets to go for the spin off.

Weird:confused:
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    I really like The Vampire Diaries
    I was close to stop watching during Season 2 but since Season 3, it has become one of those shows I really can't miss.
    Great characters and Nina Dobrev, wow what an actress
    It has loads of characters and it's mythology is so interesting. I love the direction where it has gone for Season 4

Interesting...I'm actually the opposite of you. I was absolutely hooked during Season 2, and my interest started waning in Season 3 when it became The Klaus Show, and has never really recovered.
    I actually quite liked April, but her character is being sorely neglected after that initial start. Yeah, I pegged her for Jeremy's new girlfriend, but I guess now that this whole Silas nonsense has ramped up she's been abandoned.

She's more interesting than that endlessly bland werewolf girl and yet she gets to go for the spin off.

Weird:confused:

Haha - totally agree! :D Dreadful, pointless character. I find her slack jaw, terrible accent and permanent wide-eyed expression highly irritating, other than the fact that she serves no purpose. If it wasn't for Elijah, I would be giving The Originals a miss.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jayma wrote: »
    If it wasn't for Elijah, I would be giving The Originals a miss.

I adore Elijah, but having read a few plot synopsis for the spin off I get the feeling they are going to absolutely ruin his character for the sake of redeeming Klaus.

I just can't bring myself to watch it, should it go ahead.
    Forum Member
    I adore Elijah, but having read a few plot synopsis for the spin off I get the feeling they are going to absolutely ruin his character for the sake of redeeming Klaus.

I just can't bring myself to watch it, should it go ahead.

Hmmm - why am I not surprised? Part of Elijah's enigma is the fact that he's not normally seen dabbling in the Mystic Falls minutiae, therefore hasn't so far suffered the overkill Klaus has (scariest vampire ever? I think not)

Can you tell me where you read the plot synopsis? I wouldn't mind having a look. I've seen the brief synopsis for episode 20 (the pilot) which doesn't seem to give much away. I still think I'll give it a go, and have the bleach on hand for my mind if his character starts to go belly-up! :D

I've always had the impression from Julie Plec interviews that she seems to worship the ground Daniel Gillies walks on, and he's had a little input with his character before. I would hope if Elijah does anything too out of character, he may successfully object?

I'm still finding Vampire Diaries seriously missing the presence of Alaric, and I didn't think I'd miss him that much, but somehow for me, he's left a gaping hole this season.

Also, it may be my imagination, but watching at US pace, even Stefan and Damon seem bored of it all this season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you tell me where you read the plot synopsis? I wouldn't mind having a look. I've seen the brief synopsis for episode 20 (the pilot) which doesn't seem to give much away. I still think I'll give it a go, and have the bleach on hand for my mind if his character starts to go belly-up! :D

I can't find the first article I read but this one has hints about what might happen should the show get a pick up.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/03/28/vampire-diaries-spin-off-originals/

Of course, it's all still reliant on that back-door pilot, and part of me hopes it's a success so we can rid Mystic Falls of the Originals for the foreseeable future.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...therefore hasn't so far suffered the overkill Klaus has (scariest vampire ever? I think not)
    My wife expressed the opinion last night that Klaus is currently her favourite character in it. :D

I think it's more to do with how annoying everyone else has become. :p
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,211
    Forum Member
    I can't decide if I'm bored I still want to know what happens next but I can watch at UK pace now whereas even though there was like 2 days of a difference last year I had to watch US pace as I couldn't wait.
    As for the spin-off not sure if I like the idea I like the idea of Rebekah and Matt
    Love Elijah but I think he works because he's recurring so they haven't destroyed him.
    Forum Member
    I can't find the first article I read but this one has hints about what might happen should the show get a pick up.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/03/28/vampire-diaries-spin-off-originals/

Of course, it's all still reliant on that back-door pilot, and part of me hopes it's a success so we can rid Mystic Falls of the Originals for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for that. :) I won't mind if they return him to a bit of badassdom, as that's how he first appeared - always against other supernatural beings. We rarely see him lose control (closest probably being when Elena forced a deal out of him by stabbing herself in S2, and then when he was a little agitated when she resurrected him in the Salvatore boarding house).

I feel he's gone a bit soft since being reunited with his family Season 3. It seems he wasn't afraid of 'getting his hands dirty' when he was pursuing Katherine when she fled, and when he was reunited with Trevor. So if there's a return to that direction, I would probably welcome it, but up to a point.

Rorschach wrote: »
    My wife expressed the opinion last night that Klaus is currently her favourite character in it. :D

I think it's more to do with how annoying everyone else has become. :p

Haha, spot on - my daughter and I had the same coversation a few weeks back. For us, it shows how bad the show had become when we found ourselves longing for the Klaus scenes! :D
    nats18 wrote: »
    I can't decide if I'm bored I still want to know what happens next but I can watch at UK pace now whereas even though there was like 2 days of a difference last year I had to watch US pace as I couldn't wait.
    As for the spin-off not sure if I like the idea I like the idea of Rebekah and Matt
    Love Elijah but I think he works because he's recurring so they haven't destroyed him.

BIB - I do agree with that, which is my main misgiving about The Originals - I'd hate to suffer with Elijah overkill and have his character ruined as they have with so many others.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Yay. A character has confirmed they are coming back on Twitter.
    Matt Davis / Alaric has confirmed he's coming back now Cult has ended... That's good...

Perhaps this will pave the way for more characters to come back and we can get the show back on track...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,914
    Forum Member
    Who is favourite to take cure,my bet is Stefan!
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Karis wrote: »
    Yay. A character has confirmed they are coming back on Twitter.
    Matt Davis / Alaric has confirmed he's coming back now Cult has ended... That's good...

Perhaps this will pave the way for more characters to come back and we can get the show back on track...
    The trouble is wouldn't he still be the all programmed vampire killing hunter...

Unless he comes back as a human
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,914
    Forum Member
    It has gone of the boil the latter part of the series ,the cure is being totally dragged out.I think if Elena or one of the brothers took the cure the series could have developed around the emotions or consequences of that.Honestly I think Stefan or Damon should take cure so Elena humanity switch could be turned on and she would have to protecter rather than protected.Turning Elena human would be piste boring.
    Forum Member
    It's so different in the novels, so here's what happens...

It really is VERY different:
    Elena dies by sacrificing herself and returns as some kind of angel with super powers... Will that happen in the show? Well, it'd be a nice character change for Elena, but I reckon it's more likely she'll take the cure (although they do like those surprise plot twists).

Either way, I can't see Elena being around as a vampire next season. She'll probably croak it at the end of this one to pave the way for them all to come back as mortal next season.

I don't know how they justify the show being called Vampire Diaries as it bears so few similarities to the books.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    herejohno wrote: »
    It has gone of the boil the latter part of the series ,the cure is being totally dragged out.I think if Elena or one of the brothers took the cure the series could have developed around the emotions or consequences of that.Honestly I think Stefan or Damon should take cure so Elena humanity switch could be turned on and she would have to protecter rather than protected.Turning Elena human would be piste boring.

They're just dragging it out to the season finale, which possibly indicates it won't be Elena who gets cured. I'm betting on Damon, even though I'd rather he not become human.
    Forum Member
    They're just dragging it out to the season finale, which possibly indicates it won't be Elena who gets cured. I'm betting on Damon, even though I'd rather he not become human.
    I'm betting the 'cure' kills Elena... And that's the cliffhanger season ending.
  • natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know how they justify the show being called Vampire Diaries as it bears so few similarities to the books.

I would I imagine that the original idea was to use the characters & certain situations from the books & then the writers choose to change the direction of the show & those characters as each season went along cos Im assuming that certain characters in the show aren't in the books?
    Forum Member
    natalie77 wrote: »
    I would I imagine that the original idea was to use the characters & certain situations from the books & then the writers choose to change the direction of the show & those characters as each season went along cos Im assuming that certain characters in the show aren't in the books?

There's barely any of them in the books. Bonnie is, and Alaric is, and obviously the trio, and a handful of other (much lesser characters).

Elena doesn't have a brother. It's a younger sister.

She's a 'mean girl' in the books - hugely different to the character in the show.

Don't read the novels. They're awful!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's barely any of them in the books. Bonnie is, and Alaric is, and obviously the trio, and a handful of other (much lesser characters).

She's a 'mean girl' in the books - hugely different to the character in the show.

Ah right I didn't even think Alaric was in the books & I won't bother with them I've given up with the show so wouldn't see the point in reading them :D

so just because the show is set on the basis of the books doesn't mean it has to stick to what stories are in them :)
    Forum Member
    natalie77 wrote: »
    so just because the show is set on the basis of the books doesn't mean it has to stick to what stories are in them :)

Really. Thank GOD! The books are just so badly written and the stories awful.

It gets even worse when Elena
    turns into an angel and they're all saying "I believe in you" when she's struggling to fly...

/sigh
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member

turns into an angel and they're all saying "I believe in you" when she's struggling to fly...

/sigh

That happens in the books?

Really glad that I haven't bothered reading them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

/sigh

Oh wow really god I hope the writers never decide to go with that storyline it really would kill the show :D
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    That happens in the books?

Really glad that I haven't bothered reading them.

Yep. And much MUCH worse. Seriously. She
    has about four different types of angel wings... And it's all very much a 'clap if you believe' moment. Truly dire.

Mind you, the characters tone and feel are so very different in the books. And like the Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries they really do focus solely on Elena. Until the second trilogy when most of it's from Bonnie's perspective.

But yes, they have improved the books a hundredfold...
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

would have to agree - I bought one - thinking it would be brilliant and have failed to finish it!! I read about 2 chapters and gave up - its totally diffferent and the fact that Elena has a sister in the books and a brother in the tv series :confused::confused:
    Forum Member
    olivej wrote: »
    would have to agree - I bought one - thinking it would be brilliant and have failed to finish it!! I read about 2 chapters and gave up - its totally diffferent and the fact that Elena has a sister in the books and a brother in the tv series :confused::confused:

And Damon is this near-mythical force for evil.

Not sure how they ever got published.

BUT don't worry 'cos
    Elena is human again now in the books. Proper human. No magic powers of any kind...Hurrah :P
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I'm thinking maybe sticking with the series is better than the books.