Jim carrey's bleeding heart.

13»

Comments

• Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you'll find he is.

Kick Ass has a small niche following even the controversy in the first couldn't arouse enough publicity to help it over $100m at the box office

It needed a big name and got one. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to want anything to do with it.

And I think you'll find he isn't. Jim Carrey isn't the "Big Name" you keep trying to make him out to be.

Name one recent film he has been in which has been a great big success story that is aimed for the genre that would watch Kick-Ass 2?

Also Kick-Ass cost 30 mill to make and made nearly 100 mil, that's pretty good going for a "small niche following" (and I very much doubt that's the final true figure). Plus it got some very good reviews and a very good positive % in rotten tomatoes.

So no offense, Kick-Ass 2 is liable to do pretty well just by people who watched the 1st film coming back to see the 2nd film rather than what Jim Carrey says.

The main young lead characters are the big pullers these days, not golden oldie Jimmy boy.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's also worth noting that unless they beefed up the part for Carrey, Colonel Stars and Stripes isn't actually in Kick-Ass 2 that much.

If they stick to the source material, it's basically an extended cameo.
  • Options
    Green_StampGreen_Stamp Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can check boxofficemojo if you don't believe me. I know you're trying to make out the film is bigger than it actually is, but it isn't.

Carrey is A-list. Moretz and Johnson aren't. Carrey doing the promo for this film would have delivered a greater box office success than it would if he didn't.
  • Options
    SarahJamSarahJam Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well even if you think he is the one going to bring in the money, I just find it convenient that it's close to the film coming out that he stated this. Sandy Hook happened sometime ago, could have said this then.

Jim Carrey lost my respect with his vaccination beliefs, luckily he doesn't have too much influence in that respect, or maybe he's A list in medical directions too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This film will make money, there's no doubt. The first might not have done as well as anticipated, but it's built a cult following in this time and the studio will push the marketing.

Carrey's distancing himself and refusing to do the promo circuit will damage though. Moretz, Mintz Passe and Johnson aren't big enough to carry it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can check boxofficemojo if you don't believe me. I know you're trying to make out the film is bigger than it actually is, but it isn't.

Carrey is A-list. Moretz and Johnson aren't. Carrey doing the promo for this film would have delivered a greater box office success than it would if he didn't.

An A list? The USA may consider him an A List but outside the USA he is maybe a C list at best. (and Kick-Ass did VERY well in the UK)

Now if we were talking about Bruce Willis/ Brad Pitt/ Matt Damon/ George Clooney etc then I'd say A list but I wouldn't put Jim Carrey in the same pulling league as those A listers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you still disputing the box office takings, or have you clued yourself up?

And Kick-Ass only took $16m at the UK box office.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you still disputing the box office takings, or have you clued yourself up?

Are you talking to me?

Because all I am saying is Jim Carrey isn't the big star you keep making him out to be so I'm not sure on what box office takings you are actually going on about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    Are you talking to me?

Because all I am saying is Jim Carrey isn't the big star you keep making him out to be so I'm not sure on what box office takings you are actually going on about.

Considering we're talking about Kick-Ass, what box office taking would you presume we're talking about? :rolleyes:

Carrey might not be as big as he was, that I agree on. He is however bigger than this film and the biggest name in KA2.

They'll miss his contribution to promoting the film, that is for sure.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,456
    Forum Member

He hasn't been A-list for a long time. Kick Ass is never going to be a box office mega hit but rather a niche/cult thing, with or without Jim Carrey. His impact on promotion would have been marginal. Kick Ass fans won't be prioritising him as a reason to see the film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering we're talking about Kick-Ass, what box office taking would you presume we're talking about? :rolleyes:

Carrey might not be as big as he was, that I agree on. He is however bigger than this film and the biggest name in KA2.

They'll miss his contribution to promoting the film, that is for sure.

BIB - Considering I checked on wiki for the cost of the film and the box office takings and have stated this in another post then I've already dealt with what that "small niche following" film made. So no need to roll your eyes at me.

You think he is a big star who will have an impact on this film. I don't. We can agree to disagree :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    peroquil wrote: »
    Fox News says different and goes onto state in this article that contracts often do compel the stars of a movie to undertake promotion work, and that he may actually have violated his contract by disparaging the film.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/06/25/jim-carrey-may-have-violated-his-kick-ass-2-contract/

Yes, I'm sure they know the details of Jim Carrey's contract with Universal/Marv/Plan B, which is probably a lot loser than you'd imagine seeing as a) he got out of it and b) he clearly isn't doing it for the money...

Also looking at the example wording he provides, "reasonable" isn't exactly watertight. And as far as Jim Carrey's concerned, nothing (other than creating a well timed scandal) is "reasonable".

And it's in Fox's interest to make Carrey look bad since his anti-gun stance violates their political beliefs, and they can no longer play the "violence in the media" card towards him.
    JCR wrote: »
    Richard E Grant's book of diaries With Nails talks about being obliged to do promo for Hudson Hawk.

Ben Affleck has also talked about being obligated to be positive about Gigli until the end of the opening weekend.

Both relatively old examples.

And Seth Rogen said in a recent interview with American radio station KROQ that he'd never been contractually obliged or as a producer seen anyone else's contract that contractually obliged them to do press. Maybe it's because he's not big enough a star. Maybe it's because he gets good contracts/works with the right people. Maybe it's because they don't trust him (and his colleagues) to do press. I was just reporting what Seth Rogen had said, which was (presumably) not entirely accurate.
  • Options
    peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm sure they know the details of Jim Carrey's contract with Universal/Marv/Plan B, which is probably a lot loser than you'd imagine seeing as a) he got out of it and b) he clearly isn't doing it for the money...

I was just reporting what Seth Rogen had said, which was (presumably) not entirely accurate.

Likewise.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Seth Rogen said in a recent interview with American radio station KROQ that he'd never been contractually obliged or as a producer seen anyone else's contract that contractually obliged them to do press. Maybe it's because he's not big enough a star. Maybe it's because he gets good contracts/works with the right people. Maybe it's because they don't trust him (and his colleagues) to do press. I was just reporting what Seth Rogen had said, which was (presumably) not entirely accurate.

Well, I don't know, and I'm sure contracts vary, never the less there are some media appearances that are odd, and presumably aren't being done because the performer wants to- Bruce Willis on The One Show, Meg Ryan on Parkinson etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Well, I don't know, and I'm sure contracts vary, never the less there are some media appearances that are odd, and presumably aren't being done because the performer wants to- Bruce Willis on The One Show, Meg Ryan on Parkinson etc.

Perhaps a bit unfair to use American stars doing British interviews. Apparently Bruce Willis was heavily jet-lagged, and didn't realise he was bombing that badly.

But it is fairly easy to tell when Bruce Willis doesn't entirely believe in a film he's doing, and "A Good Day to Die Hard" was definitely one of those cases.