Options

Boeing 777 crashes at San Fransico airport

Comments

• Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    why are they carrying their hand luggage. We are always told in an emergency everything gets lefts on the plane :confused:

Better to get the passengers out fast than waste time arguing with them about what they have in their hands.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing how those on board could only care about a quick to the internet! :p
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jojo01 wrote: »
    From the images on Sky, it looks as if the landing gear may have clipped the edge of what looks to me like some sort of lake before the runway and then it's scraped along from there.

I think that's the Pacific Ocean...........the airport is right up against the ocean

Looks like the pilot came down too soon or too steeply and only just made it onto dry land..............
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt that. I suspect either all or some of the landing gear has failed, possibly left wing, the plane has hit the runway and the tail came away as a result of the impact. Plane has then slid off and spun around.

They did declare an emergency landing before, and there's no way they would deliberately attempted to land inches from the start of the runway, that isn't the normal landing place.

Also reports of a very steep descent, so a heavy landing for some reason, my guess would be a fuel line or issue causing multiple engines to fail which meant they had to come in on no engines, and the tail came off on the heavy landing. That scenario fits better.
  • Options
    DolphinusDolphinus Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Spooky
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I think that's the Pacific Ocean...........the airport is right up against the ocean

It's San Francisco Bay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt that. I suspect either all or some of the landing gear has failed, possibly left wing, the plane has hit the runway and the tail came away as a result of the impact. Plane has then slid off and spun around.

This witness says landing gear problems.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/06/san-francisco-airport-plane-crash-boeing
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's San Francisco Bay.

yeah............but that's part of the pacific ocean...........it's the coastal part...............:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im watching on CNN.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very very very lucky passengers. Seems they only just made it onto the runway and literally clipped the rocks of the bay.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If everyone has survived that it shows how aircraft build safety for passengers has improved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reports of people with burns.
  • Options
    LockesLockes Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    It amazes me how people stop to take pictures after such an horrendous incident, they are braver than me :o
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope everyone hasn't been injured

Could have been so much worse but thankfully it wasn't. Still scary though!
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hope the passengers and crew are ok, pictures on the bbc showed the plane was absolutely gutted by fire
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the internet. 40 mins ago we were looking at the pic by a survivor put on Twitter. Just now Sky News finally put it up as some major new bit of the story they'd got hold of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Body found :(
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    China Airlines Flight 642 crashed and exploded at Hong Kong in 1999.

Of 315 on board, 3 (yes, three) died.

It featured on C4's "Terror in the Skies" and having seen the video of the fireball when it hit the ground, I was astonished that there were any survivors.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    "Haven't felt this way since 9/11" :confused:

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reminds me of BA038
  • Options
    tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Body found :(

Not confirmed by the news wires.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    "Haven't felt this way since 9/11" :confused:

Clearly they don't recall the plane that crashed in the Hudson River or the one that went down in Queens.
  • Options
    ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    Reminds me of BA038

Me too

Just looking at sky news' overhead shots of the runway. You have to feel for the aircraft that appears to have been waiting to take off. They would have seen it all happen, wondering if it was going to hit them.
    Now, with debris everywhere, the aircraft is stuck. Hopefully, if they haven't already done it, they'll get some steps to get the punters off.
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ff999 wrote: »
    Me too

Just looking at sky news' overhead shots of the runway. You have to feel for the aircraft that appears to have been waiting to take off. They would have seen it all happen, wondering if it was going to hit them.
    Now, with debris everywhere, the aircraft is stuck. Hopefully, if they haven't already done it, they'll get some steps to get the punters off.

Imagine being a passenger on waiting plane,"I think i'll get the ferry..."
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    spkx wrote: »
    Reminds me of BA038

Yes a loss of power would be a reason why they perhaps had such a nose up and tail down landing if they were struggling for lift. In the BA case the crew put the flaps up to reduce dag which bought them a few more metres in distance.

The ice in the fuel lines was fixed though and I think only an issue with Rolls Royce engines.