Options

NHS staff volunteering to go to Sierra Leone for Ebola crisis

HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Saw this on the news today. It brings up a lot of concerns for me.

Just last night they were saying that all hospitals in our region are facing a staffing crisis and if there's a serious flu outbreak or snowy weather causing accidents, then we are in deep trouble.

These volunteers will have to have people covering for them ... What will this cost in agency staff? ifthere's no cost involved, is it fair to expect colleagues to cover for free?

Bob Geldof said the other night that Ebola could be here before we know it and I think he might be right. ;-)

Comments

• Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »

Just last night they were saying that all hospitals in our region are facing a staffing crisis and if there's a serious flu outbreak or snowy weather causing accidents, then we are in deep trouble.

These volunteers will have to have people covering for them ... What will this cost in agency staff? ifthere's no cost involved, is it fair to expect colleagues to cover for free?

Bob Geldof said the other night that Ebola could be here before we know it and I think he might be right. ;-)

Bollocks (shush Bob! )
  • Options
    benayounbenayoun Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    And you think these brave people should not go? They should not be saving lives? Should not be trying, in the best way they are able to sriop E
  • Options
    Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We better let in some more immigrants to do the job.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the N.H.S.paying them to go,? they should be here looking after the people who pay their wages. It's about time Africa started looking after itself.
  • Options
    benayounbenayoun Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    As I was saying, prior to getting in my own way:) those nurses and doctors are trying to keep us all safe.
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member

Colleagues definitely won't be covering for free! NHS staff do a lot of unpaid overtime but that doesn't mean working whole shifts for free.

I believe there's only about 30 or so staff going out to Africa, from a range of areas, so I hardly think that's going to make much of an impact on British hospitals as a whole.

We do have severe staffing shortages in Britain, hence our taking so many staff from Europe and Asia but the numbers going to Africa are a mere drop in the ocean.
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ebola? more like ebollocks
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

The government decides that it is going to send staff over there and asks for volunteers, This is the first wave of NHS volunteers to be deployed by the UK government. So really its the government who is making these moves,and coverning the cost so in the end its all of use paying but the government who is decideing that people will be asked to go over.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Is the N.H.S.paying them to go,? they should be here looking after the people who pay their wages. It's about time Africa started looking after itself.

The thing is due to the way these counties are run they do not have the facilities we have ( the reasons why are another matter this disease is now and cannot wait for politics ) , now we can ignore it all and that way the disease will end up here or we can go and help and try and isolate it and teach them how to control the spread of the disease, ultimately saving lives and money in this country.

I say they are very brave to go and they are actually helping the NHS in the long run as well as the countries they are going to.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The uk government asked for volunteers from the NHS. The first group of NHS volunteers is heading to Sierra Leone to help battle the Ebola virus which has left thousands dead in west Africa.

A group of around 30 GPs, nurses, psychiatrists and emergency medical consultants is due to arrive in the country's capital Freetown on Sunday morning.

Their deployment is the first in a series of measures involving the NHS planned by the UK government to help bring the outbreak under control.

Almost 1,000 British military personnel, scientists, healthcare and aid workers are already on the ground in the region, where nearly 5,500 have died from the disease.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benayoun wrote: »
    As I was saying, prior to getting in my own way:) those nurses and doctors are trying to keep us all safe.

What if they catch it and bring it back here? it should be our border controls keeping us safe.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    as usual its the uk who helps out...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What if they catch it and bring it back here? it should be our border controls keeping us safe.

Better to try to tackle at source which is what is being done, because if you dont tackle at the source it will arrive here anyway as you cannot shut the uk off from the rest of the world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As there is a 21 day incubation period that is nigh on impossible to be workable for normal travellers, with the people volunteering we know where they have been and when they return they will have numerous checks and monitoring so that is very different to trying to prevent the spread by normal travel and even banning direct flights does not mean no spread.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Well done to them, very selfless and brave people :-)
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done to them. I wouldn't do it simply because I wouldn't want to be away from my wife and kids
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    as usual its the uk who helps out...
    Don't suppose you've bothered looking up how much support other people have been sending for months, have you?
    Thought not. :p
    We better let in some more immigrants to do the job.
    Your turn for the lobotomy this week was it?
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    arent the nhs staff needed here to treat all the drunks during christmas holidays? :kitty:
  • Options
    WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am usually quite vocal when it comes to my concerns over foreign but I just can't find fault with people helping to fight something as inhumane and deadly as Ebola. I think the volunteers are amazing and I hope they'll be okay.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,656
    Forum Member
    If they want to, why not? We could do with some alternatives to Will Pooley...
  • Options
    FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who gives a shit if it's the UK helping out again, or who is paying for it, or how much pressure taking 30 volunteers from the whole UK NHS staff puts on the NHS (my guess is very little pressure)

30 brave, inspirational people have travelled to a place that is quite frankly deadly, to try and help beat this awful illness, save lives, stop the spread, and just do some good.

It needs to be tackled at the source to help prevent it spreading throughout the world and in turn causing a huge strain on our NHS.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fanielle wrote: »
    Who gives a shit if it's the UK helping out again, or who is paying for it, or how much pressure taking 30 volunteers from the whole UK NHS staff puts on the NHS (my guess is very little pressure)

30 brave, inspirational people have travelled to a place that is quite frankly deadly, to try and help beat this awful illness, save lives, stop the spread, and just do some good.

It needs to be tackled at the source to help prevent it spreading throughout the world and in turn causing a huge strain on our NHS.
    Exactly. Some folk seem to think the UK is the only country working out there!

MSF currently employs 263 international and around 3,084 locally hired staff in the region. The organization operates six Ebola case management centers (CMCs), providing approximately 600 beds in isolation. Since the beginning of the outbreak, MSF has sent more than 700 international staff to the region and admitted more than 5,200 patients, among whom around 3,200 were confirmed as having Ebola. More than 1,200 patients have survived.

Also worth reading this about WHO which has come in for serious crticism from top medical experts including MSF who claim their advice was not being listened to (by WHO).
    Medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) said on 31 March that Guinea was facing "an epidemic of a magnitude never before seen in terms of the distribution of cases in the country".

The organisation warned that the geographic spread of the cases indicated the epidemic would be very difficult to contain.

But just one day later, on 1 April, the WHO's senior communications officer, Gregory Hartl, suggested that MSF was scaremongering.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those who may think of money first , think again how lucky we are to be able to even consider that first as our biggest problem with it, and also how sad that we put money before peoples lives.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,596
    Forum Member
    This is excellent news and well done to the brave souls who volunteered. One of the thing that makes me proud of our country is that often we are able to help some of the most unfortunate people on our planet.
    For those who complain about some of the poorest and unfortunate people on Earth being given aid from the UK which has taken so much from so many places you do not realise how lucky you are.
    Thank your blessings that you and your family are not facing the fearful prospect of ebola.
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    Kudos to them for volunteering. I don't think it will make any difference to the running of the NHS in this country, but the Ebola outbreak in West Africa needs all the help it can get. It's not just a problem for the countries that are suffering - it could become worldwide and I applaud the ones who are doing their bit. And to the person who said "As usual it's the UK again" - it's not just the UK - many countries are doing their bit with money, supplies and hands-on help.