Options

What was so bad about Windows ME and Vista?

Everyone slates these versions, myself personally I ran Windows ME and had no problems, never upgraded to 2000 and XP was out a year or 2 before I upgraded to that. Windows Vista again had no problems with and actually prefer it over 7.

Comments

• Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never had a problem with Vista. Windows ME however, was incredibly unstable in my experience. BSOD was a daily occurrence.
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm using Vista Home Premium right now with no problems. Been using it for years with no more problems than any other versions of Windows.

There were a few quirks in the early days, but they were soon ironed out.

I think a lot of people just jump on the bandwagon & slag off Vista just because it's fashionable.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of vista's problems was due to it having a new driver model and there was very little informing of the equipment developers of the change meaning loads of printers/scanners etc were suddenly unsupported and quite often the companies just couldn't be bothered to support legacy gear
  • Options
    QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vista RTM was awful. I could not even browse network shares on it, was so slow, and also basics such as file copy were twice as slow on Vista, that was reported in many places.

All these were fixed by SP2, but people seem to forget that the RTM version had many basics not working correctly.

Add to this the OS became a bloated pig compared to XP and its system requirement to run smoothly was a lot greater, yet manufactures were shipping it on devices with only 512MB RAM where is it needs more like 2GB to run very smoothly. This fixed it self when the manufactures started shipping with decent amount of RAM for the OS, so when it was Windows 7's turn the RAM thing was a non issue. Windows 7 base is actually Vista SP2 code.
  • Options
    catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quackers wrote: »
    Add to this the OS became a bloated pig compared to XP and its system requirement to run smoothly was a lot greater, yet manufactures were shipping it on devices with only 512MB RAM where is it needs more like 2GB to run very smoothly. This fixed it self when the manufactures started shipping with decent amount of RAM for the OS, so when it was Windows 7's turn the RAM thing was a non issue. Windows 7 base is actually Vista SP2 code.
    Yes, our old Vista PC was greatly improved when we upgraded the RAM from 512MB to at least 2GB (can't remember exactly how much). My first laptop also had Vista and I found it OK most of the time - again it was improved when I upgraded from 1GB to 2GB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should be said that vista in its original form would of been quite a good OS just it was way too advanced for the era, quite a lot of features had to be cut and then it had to be rewritten from .net to c++ so there was very little time to do the usual things like testing but after about sp2 it basically became fine as the hardware could handle it properly and the dev's actually had some time to check over the code and fix a few trillion bugs that should of been eliminated in testing but never were due to it had to be shipped on a date and thats what mattered as the PR machine was ready to go
  • Options
    LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ME was ok as a standalone entity. But as a networked OS ... oh dear. And yes, there were BSODs aplenty.

Vista was fine as long as you had the fast hardware to run it and all the peripherals you had had decent drivers. Windows 7 was what Vista should have been.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used ME for a a couple of months, but went back to 98SE, far better, but yet a mate of mine loved ME, never had a problem with it. In fact the computer it is on, would start up now if it was booted up.

Vista, was too much for the hardware of the day and there was some annoying things about it, like being asked to agree to almost everything it did. While I can understand why it was done, it was over the top. Defender was also a pain, even when it is supposed to be switched off, it still was annoying.

windows 7 so much better.

My nextdoor neighbours computer is still running vista, must get that changed to 7 at some point.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vista was fine in the end but I prefer 7.
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    ... there was some annoying things about it, like being asked to agree to almost everything it did...

I guess you mean User Access Control. It's easy to turn off, but in some circumstances best left enabled. I gave a neighbour an old Windows 7 pc of mine that had UAC off. He was back with it, riddled with malware, about once a month. The last time I turned UAC back on and he's had hardly any problems since. He's one of those people who clicks yes to everything (in a hurry to get to a pr0n video etc) not realising he's installing iLivid, Open Candy and the rest.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Zenith wrote: »
    I'm using Vista Home Premium right now with no problems. Been using it for years with no more problems than any other versions of Windows.

There were a few quirks in the early days, but they were soon ironed out.

I think a lot of people just jump on the bandwagon & slag off Vista just because it's fashionable.

It was much improved after the first service pack and after the second service pack, it was on a par with Win 7 [which is basically Vista SP3 anyway].

It was rushed to market too soon before the peripheral equipment driver compatibility issues had been fully sorted out and before PC specifications had caught up with Vista's requirements. Had it been launched 9 months to a year later than it was, then Vista might have been remembered more fondly.
  • Options
    PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows ME was a poor stopgap OS. NT/2000 wasn't ready for the home market at that point and they needed an update to 98 Second Edition, so we got this abomination. Windows 2000 ended up being very good for home usage though, so long as you didn't need DOS programs/games. ME added some useful new features, such as System Restore etc, but on the other hand it was also deliberately crippled with the removal of a lot of legacy support for hardware / drivers. Was overall less stable too.

As for Vista - simply a case of both the OS & the available hardware not being ready at the point of release. Vista was a slug and even with later Service Packs, it's still slower than Windows XP, 7 & 8. If your PC will run Vista, chances are it will probably run better with 7 (or 8 if your specs support it).
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Windows ME was a very badly designed OS (and I use that term loosely :p). It was basically like a beta version of an operating system and should never have been released. It was unstable and most users probably saw the BSOD more than anything else. It had some useful features like System Restore but that was only good if the bloody thing would boot in the first place :p There's a reason this version was called Mistake Edition :D

Vista was a bloated pig of an operating system. It required too much RAM and too much hard drive space and didn't really offer any improvements over XP at the time. Most manufacturers in 2006/early 2007 didn't sell computers with the right specs for Vista and that probably led to it getting a bad reputation. The UAC was also a pain in the backside. "You moved your mouse, cancel or allow?" Argh! >:( I bet most users hated being faced with the Spanish Inquisition everytime they tried to do anything with their computer. Vista was banned in our house because dad thought it was crap and it was not worth upgrading (and our computers in early '07 weren't really capable of running it).
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zenith wrote: »
    slag off Vista just because it's fashionable.

It might be better after a couple of service packs and hardware that was released years after the OS, but on the hardware of the day it was a dog. Perhaps a lot of its criticism came from that.

I had a Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM, which IIRC was well in excess of the system requirements. You could expect it to thrash the hard drives for 10 minutes on boot up and then do it again if you tried to use the computer. It acted as if it was constantly swapping. Didn't take long to go back to XP.

Windows 7 on the same machine absolutely flew.

Then there was the whole "Vista Capable" debacle where machines with cheap, slow processors and very little RAM were sold with Vista or the promise of a free upgrade later on - and they performed even worse

Windows 7/8/10 aren't bad at all on older machines, I've found
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows ME was a very badly designed OS (and I use that term loosely :p). It was basically like a beta version of an operating system and should never have been released. It was unstable and most users probably saw the BSOD more than anything else. It had some useful features like System Restore but that was only good if the bloody thing would boot in the first place :p There's a reason this version was called Mistake Edition :D

Vista was a bloated pig of an operating system. It required too much RAM and too much hard drive space and didn't really offer any improvements over XP at the time. Most manufacturers in 2006/early 2007 didn't sell computers with the right specs for Vista and that probably led to it getting a bad reputation. The UAC was also a pain in the backside. "You moved your mouse, cancel or allow?" Argh! >:( I bet most users hated being faced with the Spanish Inquisition everytime they tried to do anything with their computer. Vista was banned in our house because dad thought it was crap and it was not worth upgrading (and our computers in early '07 weren't really capable of running it).

ME wasn't bad it just was an win98se update where they just chucked a few junior programmers to try and deal with it while the pro's were doing win2k and with the right gear it wasn't too bad but it was obviously end of line so the management wasn't into sorting it out too much and win2k had directx so could play quite a lot of games and XP sorted out the sore points of that for most domestic customers

Vista was a PR nightmare...you were allowed to put a vista capable sticker pretty much on anything even a pork pie and it's allowed and its minimum spec was hilarious as they tried to grab as much market share as possible
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    I guess you mean User Access Control. It's easy to turn off, but in some circumstances best left enabled. I gave a neighbour an old Windows 7 pc of mine that had UAC off. He was back with it, riddled with malware, about once a month. The last time I turned UAC back on and he's had hardly any problems since. He's one of those people who clicks yes to everything (in a hurry to get to a pr0n video etc) not realising he's installing iLivid, Open Candy and the rest.

That is the one, sorry, I could not think of the name.
    I can understand the reasons for it, but it was not very well thought out to be honest, windows 7 does a much better job.
    Saying that one persons computer I sorted out that had problems with malware, I stuck on mint Linux, told them to like it or lump it, because I was fed up of sorting out their machine. I do not have the concentration at the moment to muck around with my own computer never mind others.

Thankfully it worked out fine, according to the user of the computer, once he have got used to it, it have been the best he have ever known it. Fast, stable, no malware and does what the family want it to do.

Of cause if they wanted Windows back on it I would put it back, this was a windows XP machine by the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »

It was ahead of the hardware that was the main problem and lack of drivers. but syaing that not always.

The PC world machine my next door neighbours have got is not too bad on power, a quad core 2Ghz AMD machine, 4GB of ram and should in theory be pretty fast, but with Vista it seems to like treacle. I ran mint on it from a USB memory stick and it was a lot faster, even coming off a USB.

I know the machine is not top end, it was not when it was new and it is about 5 years old, maybe older, but it should still should still work faster than it does.
    I will once I feel more like it strip the machine down as I feel the CPU needs a clean and I have got them to agree to pay for a OEM version of windows 7 to stick on it, best bet I think.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    It was ahead of the hardware that was the main problem and lack of drivers. but syaing that not always.

The PC world machine my next door neighbours have got is not too bad on power, a quad core 2Ghz AMD machine, 4GB of ram and should in theory be pretty fast, but with Vista it seems to like treacle. I ran mint on it from a USB memory stick and it was a lot faster, even coming off a USB.

I know the machine is not top end, it was not when it was new and it is about 5 years old, maybe older, but it should still should still work faster than it does.
    I will once I feel more like it strip the machine down as I feel the CPU needs a clean and I have got them to agree to pay for a OEM version of windows 7 to stick on it, best bet I think.

This is subjective, but I think that Vista, irrespective of any issues, was also the most aesthetically pleasing of all of Microsoft's operating systems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really, My first thought about any OS is will it do what I want it to do in a speedy and secure way as possible and is the UI ok to use?
    What it looks like is a fair way down the scale for me. when i first started on XP, for months I made it look like windows 98 using the classic theme.
    I use Mint a lot with the cinnamon desktop UI and that is not really great looking, but it is practical and works well.

Maybe that is the problem, people want things to look sparkly with loads of animations then they wonder why the hardware can not cope.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really, My first thought about any OS is will it do what I want it to do in a speedy and secure way as possible and is the UI ok to use?
    What it looks like is a fair way down the scale for me. when i first started on XP, for months I made it look like windows 98 using the classic theme.
    I use Mint a lot with the cinnamon desktop UI and that is not really great looking, but it is practical and works well.

Maybe that is the problem, people want things to look sparkly with loads of animations then they wonder why the hardware can not cope.

And you try and make W8 look like W7....bit of a trend showing lol ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may of spoke to soon about Vista, At the weekend I had issues with my Lenovo Thinkpad, Long story short my recovery partition was fooked so had to use my fathers dell computer with Vista installed to copy a recovery DVD to a USB drive as my thinkpad has no DVD drive. The amount of "Not Responding" and general messing about was a nightmare, a simple 2 min job took me several hours to do. His computer is a Core i3 with 8GB ram, shouldn't really have been any problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you try and make W8 look like W7....bit of a trend showing lol ;-)

Seems like MS also wants to make W8 look like windows 7 as well, is that not why they are putting the start menu back?
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the Vista Annoyances book, the OS only needed a few tweaks such as disabling the prefetch and to the UAC. Can anyone point out any profound changes to the code base of Vista to create version 7?
    Windows ME seemed to be an attempt to wean users off DOS and make the OS seems more unified with the NT stream with plug and play on Windows 2000 and System Restore. It was of course not less stable as on OS than 98 but it would let programs replace DLLs and then rewrite them with the original windows ones when they had finished installing. If you wanted to still play DOS games I think you needed to make a boot disk from inside the operating system.
  • Options
    mjrmjr Posts: 2,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone point out any profound changes to the code base of Vista to create version 7?

Have a look at Microsoft's Engineering 7 blog:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member

Same with me. I ditched Vista after a few years of having it. I find it slow. I don't know if its the older version since it was pre-installed when I had my first laptop. I have Windows 7 now.