Boardwalk Empire - Season 3 - US Pace

Comments

• DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    nokes22 wrote: »
    This season has started well but I'm missing Jimmy, I think we need a good-hearted gangster to latch onto. Also, because there's so many men, male gangsters in particular, I'm getting rather confused as to who's who - they all seem to blend into each other with all their double dealings, lol!

Owen & Richard... though are they classed as gangsters, hitmen, bodyguards or protectors?
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Notice they even made Gyp kinky like Ralph Cifaretto as well.

And two episodes without Richard Harrow :cry:

Notice it's not doing too well in the ratings either, falling week by week to an all time low of 2.11 million for episode 4 :(

It's just a pity that Janice isn't there to kick him down the stairs. :p I really wanted that guy shot dead during this episode. :eek: Also, I think I must be the only one who likes Margaret and don't mind the storylines that steer away from the gangster element, as they seem more human. I would loved to have seen Nucky's reaction after she gave his land deeds away, though. I think Nucky still has a soft spot for her and the children.
  • kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say that Gyp has some very weird hobbies!:D I magine being the actor and reading that scene- " You want me to do what?":eek:
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder why Nucky and Rothstein just didn't ask Richard to grab a spot nearby to Gyp's house and sniper him.
  • kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder why Nucky and Rothstein just didn't ask Richard to grab a spot nearby to Gyp's house and sniper him.

Aside from that ending this plot-line too soon in the series, I guess that Richard would have been too conspicuous in an area controlled by Gyp and his goons. They probably know of him by reputation.
  • parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Atlantic City: Nucky, Owen Slater, Eli Thompson, Albert "Chalky" White, Dunn Purnsley, Richard Harrow. Mickey Doyle.

Chicago: Al Capone, Johnny Torrio, Nelson Van Alden, Dean O'Banion

New York City: Arnold Rothstein, Charles "Lucky" Luciano, Meyer Lansky, Benny (Bugsy Siegel), Gyp Rosetti

Thank you, AC, I needed that! :o
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sold him an iron, lol. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    I sold him an iron, lol. :D

Lot of dark humour in BE :D

I'm just thinking of Van Alden and his current 'issues' ..
    • Killed his partner
    • Got Nucky's lady friend pregnant
    • Going around with a fake name and past while on the run with the child minder
    • Has now killed an FBI agent
    • He is currently trying to get rid of the agent's body with the help of Dean O'Banion
  • nokes22nokes22 Posts: 1,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deccomajor wrote: »
    Owen & Richard... though are they classed as gangsters, hitmen, bodyguards or protectors?

Yep, really liking Richard's character - he could be be the new 'Jimmy' as there's a lot of scope for him. I'd love him to avenge Jimmy's murder somehow and find a love interest - preferably taking Jimmy's son away from warped Gillian.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    nokes22 wrote: »
    I'd love him to avenge Jimmy's murder somehow and find a love interest - preferably taking Jimmy's son away from warped Gillian.

That doesn't sound quite right :eek:
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Bit of a filler episode this one, not much happening other than setting up for a few scenes later in the series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I know what Gillian is up to.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    New romantic interest for Richard? I hope so. He's certainly the most sympathetic character in the show ,even taking his impressive amount of murders into consideration.

And I'm glad to see the freckle faced DA back.
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Ging Gang Goolie" was the worst episode this season. The performances were fine but it moved at a snail's pace and quite frankly seemed (mostly) pointless. Everything that happened in this one didn't need 55 minutes of airtime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    "Ging Gang Goolie" was the worst episode this season. The performances were fine but it moved at a snail's pace and quite frankly seemed (mostly) pointless. Everything that happened in this one didn't need 55 minutes of airtime.

I thought we may have seen Van Alden or Gyp Rosetti this episode. Instead it was a lot of Margaret (again). Van Alden kills an agent in episode 5, yet isn't featured at all in episode 6.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only seen up to Ep 3 so far, but I really like Margaret and her spiky barbs. She's a strong female character with guile to make her way in a man's world. I did like her little dig at Nucky when she said something like "Well, that's Broadway for you" indicating she knew full well of Nucky's affairs.
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does seem to be getting more and more gangsterish. I don't think the new gangster would have lasted five minutes in reality, killing innocent folk and cops. The actor's acting leaves a lot to be desired too. I personally preferred it when it centred around Jimmy. Still early days yet, though.

You think Gyp Rosetti is acted poorly?
    I'd say you are in a tiny minority on that he is a fantastic actor.
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm hoping Margaret gets killed or does a spin off show she is just so boring.

And does she have to talk so slow?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sentenza wrote: »
    I'm hoping Margaret gets killed or does a spin off show she is just so boring.

And does she have to talk so slow?

Kadddieee, can you wash my bed sheets please.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Stephen Graham was fantastic in this week's ep, I thought.

And I hope that Eli can get back on side with Nucky.

Both his scenes with the little boy brought a lump to my eye and a tear to my throat. Maybe its because my dad never showed anything like that to me. Excellent acting that man, making me actually think "Ahh, Al Capone's a really nice guy"
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, five episodes in (UK pace) my thoughts...

-Margaret - God, as tedious as ever. I don't condone Nucky cheating on her but she has no room to maneouvre after banging Slater - who incidentally is a fine addition.
    -Jimmy - Not missed one bit by me. He was a boy trying to play a man's game, with inevitable consequences.
    -Rothstein - Not as keen on him so far. I found him much more quotable last series.
    -Rosetti - Superbly acted and a top addition. Looks genuinely dangerous and unhinged.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Margaret's stories are there to serve both as a counter to all the killing and bootlegging but also as some sort of historical background to place everything else in. Irish immigrants, polio, women pilots, all that sort of stuff.

The other female lead, Gillian, has clearly stepped outside the room though.
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rosetti - Superbly acted and a top addition. Looks genuinely dangerous and unhinged.

You're not kidding. This guy genuinely makes me nervous whenever he's onscreen with another character. He's completely wacko and I'm loving it. So far, he's the best thing about this season. I'm hoping he survives for another one but I don't know if that's possible at this point. If he was wacko before then he's completely BONKERS now after the botched hit job on him. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon Gyp acting thick around people he doesn't know is an act.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Just seen episode five - decided to stick with this thread as I didn't want to talk to myself on a UK paced thread :D

It has started to pick up a bit for me now, I still miss Jimmy and I want them to find out that he was shot by Nucky and see the fall out from Gillian (who is still a loon!). Does Richard know Nucky killed Jimmy? I can't remember.

Gyp Rosetti is a whole new kind of psycho! Really like him as the baddy and I'm glad he wasn't killed in the shoot out - shame he used the hooker as a human shield - poor woman!

My usually pacifist husband actually said last night "God, I hope Margaret dies she is getting on my nerves" - the actress is playing her well though! I think she is going to have a fling with the doctor, or at least develop (unrequited) feelings for him.