Amy Pond - What A Wonderful Person!

2»

Comments

• JCRJCR Posts: 24,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The word used in Scotland is ned.

Anyway we must be respectful of Amy as the Doctors mother in law.

NB: this is a joke. Unless it comes true. ;)
  • BobbyMaloneBobbyMalone Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not quite sure what point that OP is trying to make? I see they haven't come back to this thread after firing off that delightful missive.

As someone up thread pointed out- a glass or two of red wine is widely recognised as being fine and possibly beneficial in pregnancy. Amy was hardly tottering around on high heels and guzzling neat vodka while she throws up in a gutter.

And yes. I love Amy Pond. A great character with depth and many layers. Much like the aforementioned Rose.

We are lucky to have such rich characters in our favourite show.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stcoop wrote: »
    Tried to shag the Doctor on the night before her wedding and is now happily knocking back alchohol while she's pregnant.

And people used to call Rose a Chav!

Amy isn't my favourite companion, but I do understand why she came onto the Doctor that night. The Doctor is enigmatic and very attractive in an odd kind of way. Given that Amy was muddled up in her mind anyway due to her not knowing whether or not she wanted to marry Rory at that given time (she already hinted in The Beast Below that she didn't mind if she wasn't there for the wedding), it is hardly surprising she wanted the Doctor, especially as he saved her life a few moments before! It was the Doctor who made her realise that she loved Rory!

I think your post is childish and suggests to me that you have no intention of giving the Moffat era a chance without slagging anything off anything in it!
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Not quite sure what point that OP is trying to make? I see they haven't come back to this thread after firing off that delightful missive.

As someone up thread pointed out- a glass or two of red wine is widely recognised as being fine and possibly beneficial in pregnancy. Amy was hardly tottering around on high heels and guzzling neat vodka while she throws up in a gutter.

And yes. I love Amy Pond. A great character with depth and many layers. Much like the aforementioned Rose.

We are lucky to have such rich characters in our favourite show.

Stcoop's not a fan of the current run... Not that it was difficult to guess from his comment, of course! :D
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she is pregnant either and drinking a glass of wine was not a crime in 1969.
    Those were the days... people were less judgemental and just got on with life and enjoying themselves.
  • BobbyMaloneBobbyMalone Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    Stcoop's not a fan of the current run... Not that it was difficult to guess from his comment, of course! :D

I'd guessed as much from the few comments I've seen in my short time on here. Must say, if they are not a fan of the Moffat era they would do well to put forward some genuinely well thought arguments why rather than resorting to mis information about viewing figures and silly slurs on a popular character.

All smacks of grasping at straws a little bit.
    Forum Member
    I'd guessed as much from the few comments I've seen in my short time on here. Must say, if they are not a fan of the Moffat era they would do well to put forward some genuinely well thought arguments why rather than resorting to mis information about viewing figures and silly slurs on a popular character.

All smacks of grasping at straws a little bit.

True. And that's exactly the claim made back by those same posters when confronted with a reasoned, well articulated replies...

Sometimes, I really do despair!
    :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    I don't think she is pregnant either and drinking a glass of wine was not a crime in 1969.

Why? Why do you doubt she is pregnant? Why do people always doubt things like this? Why WOULDN'T she be. Why would she lie/be wrong. I think, generally, when a woman claims to be pregnant she is quite sure about it, and doesn't just base it off the fact she gets a bit "woozy." I might open a new thread for this rant though.

Oh, and the wine scene is in 2011.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    alwatson wrote: »
    Why? Why do you doubt she is pregnant? Why do people always doubt things like this? Why WOULDN'T she be. Why would she lie/be wrong.

It's got nothing to do with whether or not Amy is the sort of person who would lie, or that pregnancy is the sort of thing someone would make up. It has a lot to do with the Doctor's adventures not being the sort of thing that a pregnant woman would fit into.

It's entirely plausible from the perspective of the characters that she be pregnant, but seems unlikely for us at home, who know that the rest of the series will involve running around and dangerous stunts and life-threatening aliens - not the sort of environment that even the BBC would put a supposedly pregnant character into without attracting a lot of criticism. They did that once in Amy's Choice, and made much of how restrictive it was for her.

Of course, perhaps she is pregnant, but then forgets about it...
  • madj40madj40 Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she had waited till she went back to 1969, before the "nanny state" she could have drank what she liked without any disapproval from anyone.

In fact she would have been encouraged to drink Guiness and the like. :)

And of course, the summer before had been the Summer of Love, so she could have slept with who she liked without anyone blinking an eyelid. It was the norm.

Ah, happy days.....you kids don't know what you missed.....:)

Indeed! back then she could have had a lit ciggie on the go and the odd spliff and it probably wouldnt have been frownd upon..:D

I love Amy, best companion since Sarah Jane imo..Oh and so what if she did try it on with the doctor, it would only be natural seeing as she had all these mixed up feelings for him. I know its a sci fi show but I also think its one of the most heart wrenching love storys ever told...
    Forum Member
    It's got nothing to do with whether or not Amy is the sort of person who would lie, or that pregnancy is the sort of thing someone would make up. It has a lot to do with the Doctor's adventures not being the sort of thing that a pregnant woman would fit into.

It's entirely plausible from the perspective of the characters that she be pregnant, but seems unlikely for us at home, who know that the rest of the series will involve running around and dangerous stunts and life-threatening aliens - not the sort of environment that even the BBC would put a supposedly pregnant character into without attracting a lot of criticism. They did that once in Amy's Choice, and made much of how restrictive it was for her.

Of course, perhaps she is pregnant, but then forgets about it...

I expect we'll see whether or not she was telling the truth in the next episode,
    because there's at least one three month jump, as shown in one of the clips on the BBC site.

Spoilered for those who deem any information about anything that might be happening (including credits/titles/episode orders/etc) spoilers... ;)
    Forum Member
    If she had waited till she went back to 1969, before the "nanny state" she could have drank what she liked without any disapproval from anyone.

And of course, the summer before had been the Summer of Love, so she could have slept with who she liked without anyone blinking an eyelid. It was the norm.

What?

You mean we're not supposed to do that now? :eek::o:o
  • Bruce WayneBruce Wayne Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member

I know I was around then, but I don't remember it very well. :o Could it have been the Silents? :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alwatson wrote: »
    Why? Why do you doubt she is pregnant? Why do people always doubt things like this? Why WOULDN'T she be. Why would she lie/be wrong.

Spoilers for those who haven't seen the preview clips on the BBC website:
    Day of the Moon is set three months later and Amy isn't showing any signs of pregnancy (as shown by the preview clips). She also says the Silence manipulates your thoughts. That, with the fact that Amy is travelling with the Doctor for the rest of the series (fighting aliens whilst pregnant?) seems a bit unlikely.
    Still, we'll never know till we see tomorrow's episode :)
    Forum Member
    Spoilers for those who haven't seen the preview clips on the BBC website:
    Day of the Moon is set three months later and Amy isn't showing any signs of pregnancy (as shown by the preview clips). She also says the Silence manipulates your thoughts. That, with the fact that Amy is travelling with the Doctor for the rest of the series (fighting aliens whilst pregnant?) seems a bit unlikely.
    Still, we'll never know till we see tomorrow's episode :)
    They say 'influences', which is less hands-on than manipulate, which may sound like semantics, but I think not... Influencing can be done by guiding, whereas manipulating is more nefarious and insinuates a more hands-on approach. It sounds more like they can lead you to their way of thinking, but not implant thoughts in your head. And it's clear (from the clip of Amy in the room) that they erase themselves somehow from your memory - possibly a knee-jerk reaction - but they don't implant any reason for the memory loss, nor even a filler memory to take up the missing time.

Also, sometimes people don't necessarily show heavily till later in their pregnancy... Maybe! My sister was fairly innocuous until 4 months for her first.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They say 'influences', which is less hands-on than manipulate, which may sound like semantics, but I think not... Influencing can be done by guiding, whereas manipulating is more nefarious and insinuates a more hands-on approach. It sounds more like they can lead you to their way of thinking, but not implant thoughts in your head. And it's clear (from the clip of Amy in the room) that they erase themselves somehow from your memory - possibly a knee-jerk reaction - but they don't implant any reason for the memory loss, nor even a filler memory to take up the missing time.

Also, sometimes people don't necessarily show heavily till later in their pregnancy... Maybe! My sister was fairly innocuous until 4 months for her first.
    (From memory) I think she was referring to the sick feeling as well, so perhaps that's all part of the influence. It's such an interesting concept!

Oh that's interesting! I guess my issue is that if she was pregnant at the beginning of the series, the Doctor would surely not allow her to travel for the rest of it, for safety issues? Perhaps not, but it just seems odd. I'm sure explanations will come soon though :)
    Forum Member
    (From memory) I think she was referring to the sick feeling as well, so perhaps that's all part of the influence. It's such an interesting concept!

Oh that's interesting! I guess my issue is that if she was pregnant at the beginning of the series, the Doctor would surely not allow her to travel for the rest of it, for safety issues? Perhaps not, but it just seems odd. I'm sure explanations will come soon though :)

Hopefully a fair chunk later today... :)
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

thats why i feel peeps should turn this thread in to an appreciation thread for amy, the steam would be coming out of the OP's ears to see his name attached to it...;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like Amy as much as I've liked previous assistants but she's kind of growing on me. I do wish they hadn't done her coming on to the doctor though (unless it turns out to be important later on) as it really put me off her for a while. There was one scene where she kept saying shut up almost every other line which I didn't like but I do like how feisty she is and there's a definite spark there. I think Karen is a fantastic actress :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Those were the days... people were less judgemental and just got on with life and enjoying themselves.

She wasnt in 1969, she isnt from 1969 and they would not show her drinking, I have been pregnant twice and drank wine in my pregnancies but they wouldnt show it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member

So did Rivder..after seeing the nest of silents