[Torchwood: Miracle Day] 'The Middle Men' - BBC1 9PM (UK Pace)

Comments

• fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First 20 mins, literally nothing happened, I started reading a book.

Picked up a bit, but they seemed to be going for every cliché in the book (sic) tonight.

I was hoping Gwen would pick up a red phone at the end and hear 'No, the white phone' :)

Keeping watching, but this feels very stretched out, both in episode number and length of the episodes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    i didn't watch it this week, came onto this thread to see if it was worth catching on iplayer - undecided tbh

not really interested in seeing how many more ways they can make non-death as gruesome as possible - it's missing some genuine plot development, what's really moved on in the last few episodes? i'm so disappointed in this series
  • AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shortcrust wrote: »
    Is it just me, or are the poll numbers getting smaller as the weeks go by?!

Last week actually saw an increase in the people voting (not very many, but still an increase!) - but you're right, after the first episode voting numbers dropped.
    Mickey S wrote: »

But the numbers voting are tiny, aren't they?

Yes. Compared to other shows the numbers aren't very big. But there are people watching at multiple different paces, people have lost interest after giving it a try etc. etc. I'd have nothing to write if it weren't for poll results however! :p

As for this episode, I voted 'Average' - aside from a few moments it wasn't a really stand out episode and after episode 5 I can't help but feel disappointed. I see a few people are happy they watched it twice and say it was better on second viewing, so I may give it another go.
  • George7George7 Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly (IMO) this programme is getting worse. Last night's episode was boring, parts were just stupid and Gwen was irritating again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    After giving up for a couple of episodes I came back on board last week and found this week's episode very good. Like Daveyboy I think it maybe benefited from having a tighter focus on just the four characters and I didn't miss Danes or Jilly at all.
    Bit bemused by Gwen blowing that place up - were there people in there? If so she's got a bit of a nerve calling shame on the doctor.
    (If you want a really nitpicky criticism of the series here it is. Its driving me mad that they all keep saying PhiCore and not pronouncing the final p. They pronounce it as though its 'corps' as in Peace Corps whereas the corp bit is surely short for corporation. I know, I know . . . totally trivial and insignificant - just needed to get it off my chest!)
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I thought it was another good episode last night, perhaps not as good as the previous episode but not far behind. I still think 10 episodes is way too much for this story though.
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    A very disappointing episode tonight, the standard of acting is at times just embarrassing. A great shame as i'm a long term TW fan and have been looking forward to this for ages. I'm hoping the series can redeem itself in the remaing episodes but i have my doubts.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wren wrote: »
    Bit bemused by Gwen blowing that place up - were there people in there? If so she's got a bit of a nerve calling shame on the doctor.

I thought it was just the ovens she blew up, and that no-one was there. But I could be wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    First time I've voted poor this series - too much padding this episode, and implausible solutions to plot problems. Felt more like fanfic than a real episode, right down to Gwen posing on a motorbike prior to a backdrop of explosions. Not good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Good Ep.

Though It does feel a bit too much like they've borrowed from COE with the whole 'Jack Is Responsible' theme.

Erm, Jack is always responsible, even going back to series prior to COE. Look at what happened to Tosh and Owen - that was Jack's fault because of what he did to his brother (or more importantly didn't do.) It's always Jack's fault at some point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    That he took it from a dead soldier- yes, nothing more though.

Exactly that is how he got his name and there is nothing more to it.
  • Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No comments yet about the stupidity of Gwen?

We saw last week how she was using a fake passport. We can probably assume she's either using the same fake passport for the return trip, or has another fake passport. Yet the tannoy announcement is for HER (Gwen Cooper), and the stupid woman goes and answers it!

As plans go, it's right up there with the "Thank you." from Great Escape.

I'm hoping next week the reveal is Captain Jack sitting at the computer smiling, they typing the words "Gotcha! April Fools!" on her contact lenses :)
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    I thought people couldn't die. Yet suddenly everyone's saying cremated people are dead. Makes sense that being cremated, blown apart or atomised would kill you but they never said that was happening at the start.
    Well that sort of explains why we didn't see any burning people crawling away from the helicopter crash in the first episode.
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I voted excellent even though it was a tad iffy at times.
    I agree with others that there was a fair bit of gormlessness knocking about, but it did give me something to chuckle over.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    How many times are supposedly "intelligent" people going to say "Right I know all about you and even though you have me in chains I am going to blow the whistle on your nefarious deeds and make sure you are put in jail !. Oh, is that a gun you are pointing at me ?" Badly written characters spoiled this episode fo rme. Also I thought the trailer for the next episode showed Gwen totally out of character. She would always trust Jack first.
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    How many times are supposedly "intelligent" people going to say "Right I know all about you and even though you have me in chains I am going to blow the whistle on your nefarious deeds and make sure you are put in jail !. Oh, is that a gun you are pointing at me ?" Badly written characters spoiled this episode fo rme. Also I thought the trailer for the next episode showed Gwen totally out of character. She would always trust Jack first.

... but she never had a child to worry about before. I assume that would change things, particularly as she knows that Jack sacrificed his own grandchild to save the world. What would make anyone think that he wouldn't do the same to Gwen's child?

I actually liked the episode, and I was right about Esther showing us her potential. I don't understand why people keep saying that there is nothing happening for the first 20 minutes. There are plenty of things happening.

My only criticism is that I would like to get an inkling what is behind all of this, but it's my own impatience.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... but she never had a child to worry about before. I assume that would change things, particularly as she knows that Jack sacrificed his own grandchild to save the world. What would make anyone think that he wouldn't do the same to Gwen's child?

I actually liked the episode, and I was right about Esther showing us her potential. I don't understand why people keep saying that there is nothing happening for the first 20 minutes. There are plenty of things happening.

My only criticism is that I would like to get an inkling what is behind all of this, but it's my own impatience.

Obviously Gwen's going to think differently because she has a child now, but she also knows it was either Jack's grandson or every other child, including hers if it had been born then.
  • hobbleithobbleit Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was just a filler episode. Not much happened until the end.

Me, my brother and my friend had an entire conversation about Ghostbusters whilst the episode was on and we didn't feel we'd missed much.
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was appalling. Cartoon TV.

And why are Torchwood against the Incinerators? I'm not a nazi or anything but if a relative of mine was dying in screaming agony I'd be begging the authorities to put him/her out of their misery. It seems Torchwood want to keep everybody alive no matter how agonisingly ill until the world starves to death. Doesn't make sense.

And the Gwen character is a joke. Why was she screeching like a banshee about burning people then smiling like a cheshire cat after blowing up a load of doctors and nurses? She needs psychiatric help.
    Forum Member
    I think possibly we may finally learn how Jack got his name next week... looks good.
    /QUOTE]

Jack took his name off an American RAF pilot who was killed leading his men on a raid over Germany in World War 2
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the Gwen character is a joke. Why was she screeching like a banshee about burning people then smiling like a cheshire cat after blowing up a load of doctors and nurses? She needs psychiatric help.

I assumed it wasn't the occupied buildings that were blown up, but empty ones like the crematoria and equipment buildings. It was just after 5am when Rhys escaped with her dad, and she blew them up just after that. So she did it before the category 1's were due to be moved into them (at 6am).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    Obviously Gwen's going to think differently because she has a child now, but she also knows it was either Jack's grandson or every other child, including hers if it had been born then.

Ah, but if it someone elses child, then you might be able to rationalise it, but if it is your own, it's different.

My point was that as a mother, she knows Jack could sacrifice her child if this is the only way of stopping the miracle. As the miracle is not life threatening to her at the moment, she might not want to run that risk. I could be wrong of course.
    Forum Member
    Ah, but if it someone elses child, then you might be able to rationalise it, but if it is your own, it's different.

My point was that as a mother, she knows Jack could sacrifice her child if this is the only way of stopping the miracle. As the miracle is not life threatening to her at the moment, she might not want to run that risk. I could be wrong of course.

Of course you are right that Gwen would be thinking of her child/family first, but I do not believe that she would not discuss the threats she had received with Jack, who I am sure would then go along with "pretending" that Gwen had grabbed him as instructed by the "Big Baddies" if only to get near to those who are responsible for Miracle Day
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rionia wrote: »
    I assumed it wasn't the occupied buildings that were blown up, but empty ones like the crematoria and equipment buildings. It was just after 5am when Rhys escaped with her dad, and she blew them up just after that. So she did it before the category 1's were due to be moved into them (at 6am).

That's what I thought:).
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Of course you are right that Gwen would be thinking of her child/family first, but I do not believe that she would not discuss the threats she had received with Jack, who I am sure would then go along with "pretending" that Gwen had grabbed him as instructed by the "Big Baddies" if only to get near to those who are responsible for Miracle Day

Yes that would make more sense, maybe she isn't thinking straight or she will tell him after a while in the the next episode:).
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    I will see Torchwood through to the end, but it really hasn't gripped me.

There is far to much padding going on.

Quite a few times now i've found myself reaching for the FF button on my remote... which is annoying as I've been watching it live. :o:D