BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB gets UK price cut - £129

Comments

• sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its getting tempting again, even though I ditched the playbook for nexus 7, for these prices I am tempted to buy it again. I highly reccomend the playbook if you after browsing, emails, build quality, hd playback and one thing that gets missed is the sound from the front speakers are great.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheppy124 wrote: »
    its getting tempting again, even though I ditched the playbook for nexus 7, for these prices I am tempted to buy it again. I highly reccomend the playbook if you after browsing, emails, build quality, hd playback and one thing that gets missed is the sound from the front speakers are great.

If all you want is a mobile media player and web browser/email client then £129 for the 64GB is a steal - it's much better than any Android tablet at that price level. I have the 16GB model and find it useful for taking with me on trips where I don't need a laptop and when an iPad would be too big.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thinking of upgrading from 16gb to the 64gb model.

How do I go about transferring apps to the new machine?

I read somewhere apps are tied to the blackberry id / screen name - is this true?

So do I just "secure wipe" the 16gb model and enter my blackberry id / screen name into new model and all apps I downloaded will be ready to reinstall?
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I am eating my words at the moment over the Playbook - I never thought they would be that good but on Saturday my wife picked up one from PC World and loved it. When I had a look and go with it I found it really good to use and swift as well. The screen is bright and clear and the speakers decent enough for a little machine. And being able to side load some Android apps and games even means that for most people there will be plenty of apps and games for them. The browser experiece is very good and nice and quick with little lag.

It is better than my £120 Ainol Aurora II Android Tablet and I would certainly recommend people take a look at one if you are looking for a cheap, well built quick to use tablet.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    I am eating my words at the moment over the Playbook - I never thought they would be that good but on Saturday my wife picked up one from PC World and loved it. When I had a look and go with it I found it really good to use and swift as well. The screen is bright and clear and the speakers decent enough for a little machine. And being able to side load some Android apps and games even means that for most people there will be plenty of apps and games for them. The browser experiece is very good and nice and quick with little lag.

It is better than my £120 Ainol Aurora II Android Tablet and I would certainly recommend people take a look at one if you are looking for a cheap, well built quick to use tablet.

Totally agree, it really is a great little device especially at the current price.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree, it really is a great little device especially at the current price.

At £129 for the 64GB model, even if you only ever use it as a portable media player then it's worth the price.

I've got the 16GB model but considering upgrading so that I can take a decent amount of music and video with me when I travel.
  • mackembloke72mackembloke72 Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    im wondering with this playbook aim i right it uses flash..so can u use them for social gaming on facebook..ie simcitysocial..farmtown etc.etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im wondering with this playbook aim i right it uses flash..so can u use them for social gaming on facebook..ie simcitysocial..farmtown etc.etc

Well I've played Fishville by Zynga and it works ok.

And here's someone trying some flash based games: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG2WYOkkp_g
  • mackembloke72mackembloke72 Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    very helpful fran thank you ;)
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't decide. This or a TF300t! :D
    Forum Member
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    Can't decide. This or a TF300t! :D

Get the Playbook and spend the rest of your cash on something else!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

l'll see :D

Does the UI lag or is it buttery smooth?
    Forum Member
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    l'll see :D

Does the UI lag or is it buttery smooth?

Buttery smooth - it's like it's been spread with a pack of Anchor :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buttery smooth - it's like it's been spread with a pack of Anchor :eek:

Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree!:)

Just looked at the ASUS TF300-T - expensive :eek:
    Forum Member
    I agree!:)

Just looked at the ASUS TF300-T - expensive :eek:

Got to admit the Transformer does look nice a nice bit of kit…just expensive! LOL
  • TopovTopov Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    webster wrote: »
    I already have an iPad3. I'm going to get the BB Playbook to try it out.

If you've got an iPad, why on earth would you want to buy this..?

We actually bought two of these for our children for Christmas - slow, but perfectly good for kids, and 64GB storage means it can be loaded up with movies for car journeys and holidays. Bargain!

..but nowhere near an iPad..!
  • shepster34shepster34 Posts: 1,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm a convert too. i would never have chosen the 7 inch form factor but now ive used it it feels just right. Very portable but full websites still readable. The perfect size for holding it in two hands and the fingers can reach all the keys for typing.

The new 2.1 beta OS is so slick, love the swiping gestures to open and close apps, very intuitive and multi tasking is superb on this also. micro HDMI out is a great addition as is the 1080p camera's. Excellent build quality, lovely screen, all it needs now is skype........

I'm coming from a 10 inch android that was ok but not a patch on this, its no good having thousands of android apps available if the tablet is sluggy and unresponsive.

I would love to know how many of these have been sold since the price drop.
    Forum Member
    Topov wrote: »
    If you've got an iPad, why on earth would you want to buy this..?

We actually bought two of these for our children for Christmas - slow, but perfectly good for kids, and 64GB storage means it can be loaded up with movies for car journeys and holidays. Bargain!

..but nowhere near an iPad..!

Actually I don't agree, I have an iPad and a Galaxy Tab 10" and the Playbook is a nice device to use.

My main reason for buying one was I find the Galaxy Tab a bit of a slab and I don't like taking my iPad into London with me. If the Playbook gets damaged or stolen so be it. Also the Playbook fits in a jacket pocket.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a long play on one of these tonight and they are awful. They are a dream to use, don't get me wrong, but they do nothing! Blackberry OS desperatly lacks Apps, and the ones they do have are ridiculously expensive - £5 for Angry Birds?! Also, the browser may be snappy, but it fails to even display the BBC News wesite properly...

Yes, you get 64GB of storage, but you also get a tablet that doesn't do much and will do even less in the future. For a little more, you do get less storage on the Nexus, but you get a totally up-to-date, fully functioning tablet that is going from strength to strength.
    Forum Member
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    I had a long play on one of these tonight and they are awful. They are a dream to use, don't get me wrong, but they do nothing! Blackberry OS desperatly lacks Apps, and the ones they do have are ridiculously expensive - £5 for Angry Birds?! Also, the browser may be snappy, but it fails to even display the BBC News wesite properly...

Yes, you get 64GB of storage, but you also get a tablet that doesn't do much and will do even less in the future. For a little more, you do get less storage on the Nexus, but you get a totally up-to-date, fully functioning tablet that is going from strength to strength.

What's Angry Birds? A game? The Playbook is aimed at business not spotty kids.

The BBC website works fine on mine and eh hum at least flash works which I can't say for my iPad or the newer Android tablets.

Plenty of Android apps can be sideloaded and don't forget there is a lot of dross in the Android Market that can pay for as well.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »

Such an ill informed post! Where to even start with that?? Flash works just fine, infact better than on any other tablet that I have used and I have used many including ipads which doesn't even support it. It's clearly the best implementation of flash bar none!

BBC site is perfect! you can even click on the little videos scattered across the pages and they all play.

As for apps! There is an app for pretty much anything that is needed in the real world. Yes there are games too, pic editing apps, radio apps, weather apps etc etc. So there aren't a million apps of the same thing, so what?? the ones I have are of great quality and functionality.

As for your comment of not getting any better in the future! What a load of rubbish. You obviously haven't heard of BB OS10 which is due out next year which will bring yet more features and some seriously good apps as RIM have been aggressive in getting some big time developers onboard, offering them big incentives to make exclusive and cross platform apps. Go on to youtube and check out app demos made by TAT and you will be blown away as to the potential.

£129 is a worthwhile investment for a great, functional, solid and powerful tablet, with a constant improvement curve.

The Playbook will only get better
    Forum Member
    What's Angry Birds? A game? The Playbook is aimed at business not spotty kids.

It’s not just ‘spotty kids’ that enjoy to play games on a tablet – that’s a very condescending attitude to have
  • rtavy73rtavy73 Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    Been using it for the last 4hours. I'm liking it. Bought the 64g versions earlier today. Not bad for £130. Using it to type on here. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Picked one of these up on Saturday from Curry's. Absolutely superb piece of kit. Have sideloaded the Android apps I needed to plug the gaps in Rim's market, and have been loving every minute of using it.

Wonderful browser, and once you're over the initial learning curve, the UI is smooth and responsive. Definitely worth every penny of the ridiculously small price.