2013 Classic Series DVD releases.

Comments

• grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    It's like Gallifreybase in here !!!!

After January there are more than 4 unreleased stories.

So what is holding up Terror of the Zygons then ?

We have been having revisitations for a while now. They were prioritised over stuff that was not released that could have been released.

Tenth planet
    Ice warriors
    Mind of evil
    Terror of the zygons

Thats 4. Remember galaxy 4 is getting released as an extra and isnt getting its own proper release so i feel that shouldnt be counted and there is no guarantee that underwater menace is getting its own release. Ok maybe there is nothing to hold back a zygon release but it is being held back to give us something special to look forward to and at least we know when its due (june 24) Considering we have had more new release slots since the revisits began its a bit difficult to agree with revisits being given priority. 2010 had 10 (the same year as rev 1 was released) 2011 had 12 slots and 2012 had 11 new slots (12 if reign of terror hadnt have been delayed). Plus the revisits are alocated as extra slots and are not part . If they had not released these revisits there would be nothing in released instead in that slot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nyder wrote: »
    Here, here.

We all know what the BBC are like. The remaining stories will be spread out right until November. Barring animation reconstructions of 4 part stories with 2 missing episodes that means that Reign, Ice Warriors, Zygons and Tenth Planet will be released over 10 months.

I don't care about re-visitations. I was pi**ed that I had to re-buy Spearhead just to be able to get Terror of the Autons and now I'm going to have to re-buy the Aztecs just to get one previously missing episode. Why couldn't they have released that episode on the upcoming Reign release??? Oh yes, just to rip us off.

If they hadn't bothered with the re-visitations we would all have complete sets now. I sat down the other night and realised that I have spent over 20 years collecting Doctor Who episodes, first on VHS and then on DVD. Once my DVD set is complete they can go to hell. I'll only be buying new series Blu-Rays from then on.

You can bet your a** that it won't be long before they release season box sets and expect us all to buy everything a third (and in some cases fourth) time.

There is a reason why they will split those animated releases throughout the year and that is they are still working on them. They could not put galaxy 4 ep 3 on reign of terror because there was no room on the disc and there was no budget available to expand it to a 2 disc release. People dont seem to realise that its not just ep 3 of galaxy 4 that you are getting its a cutdown recon of eps 1 2 and 4 as well. In total the thing runs at 65 mins and certainly wont be room on reign of terror or tenth planet and the only available option is to put it on a revisit as releasing it on its own for 13 quid would be persived as a rip off by most. So instead of paying 13 quid for the recon on its own you are paying 13 quid for the recon and a new restoration of aztecs with new extras (doesnt sound so bad now or as much of a rip off now does it?) If they had not done revisits we would still be waiting for tenth planet ice warriors and mind of evil as the revists are extra slots and nothing would be released in those slots instead. Plus animation would still be getting worked on and babelcolour would still be working on mind of evil ep 1 so we really wouldnt be any closer to completion than where we are now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to Terror of the Zygons. I hope there are some CGI extras!

there aint
  • nydernyder Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    There is a reason why they will split those animated releases throughout the year and that is they are still working on them.

But if they hadn't bothered with the re-visitations then they would have been finished. My god, how many times do you want to buy episodes that you have already paid for once in your TV License? Once for a permanent copy is fair enough, but endless re-releases before they've even released everything is being ridiculous.

The first DVD release was in November 1999, by the time they release the last one (probably 'Tenth Planet' in November 2013) it will mean that it has taken 14 years!!!! No other series has taken anything close to this. (or cost as much)

They could not put galaxy 4 ep 3 on reign of terror because there was no room on the disc and there was no budget available to expand it to a 2 disc release. People dont seem to realise that its not just ep 3 of galaxy 4 that you are getting its a cutdown recon of eps 1 2 and 4 as well.

Yes - a cut down recon. I have a copy of the full re-con on DVD and it doesn't take much space.

So instead of paying 13 quid for the recon on its own you are paying 13 quid for the recon and a new restoration of aztecs with new extras (doesnt sound so bad now or as much of a rip off now does it?)

Yes it does. I have a copy of the full re-con, I only want the missing episode. It could easily have been included in a 'new' release and not a re-visitation. It is a deliberate act from the BBC, just as the release of 'Terror of the Autos' also forced us to re-buy 'Spearhead from Space'. I was ripped off. Oh, and now they are releasing Spearhead on Blu-ray which makes four releases (VHS, DVD, DVD re-release and Blu-Ray). So how can we possibly justify 3 optical disk releases of Spearhead before we have even one release of Zygons?????
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    Tenth planet
    Ice warriors
    Mind of evil
    Terror of the zygons

Thats 4. Remember galaxy 4 is getting released as an extra and isnt getting its own proper release so i feel that shouldnt be counted and there is no guarantee that underwater menace is getting its own release. Ok maybe there is nothing to hold back a zygon release but it is being held back to give us something special to look forward to and at least we know when its due (june 24) Considering we have had more new release slots since the revisits began its a bit difficult to agree with revisits being given priority. 2010 had 10 (the same year as rev 1 was released) 2011 had 12 slots and 2012 had 11 new slots (12 if reign of terror hadnt have been delayed). Plus the revisits are alocated as extra slots and are not part . If they had not released these revisits there would be nothing in released instead in that slot.

Underwater Menace is on its own release. Parts1 and 4 will be animated. There was no reason to hold back stories like Zygons and other stories bumped or put back to release "revisitations". You can agree or not, quite frankly I could not care less. I would have preferred to have had stories not released before revisitation. A personal preference. End of AFAIC.

Galaxy 4 is being released with a cut down recon.
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    But if they hadn't bothered with the re-visitations then they would have been finished. My god, how many times do you want to buy episodes that you have already paid for once in your TV License? Once for a permanent copy is fair enough, but endless re-releases before they've even released everything is being ridiculous.

The first DVD release was in November 1999, by the time they release the last one (probably 'Tenth Planet' in November 2013) it will mean that it has taken 14 years!!!! No other series has taken anything close to this. (or cost as much)

Yes - a cut down recon. I have a copy of the full re-con on DVD and it doesn't take much space.

Yes it does. I have a copy of the full re-con, I only want the missing episode. It could easily have been included in a 'new' release and not a re-visitation. It is a deliberate act from the BBC, just as the release of 'Terror of the Autos' also forced us to re-buy 'Spearhead from Space'. I was ripped off. Oh, and now they are releasing Spearhead on Blu-ray which makes four releases (VHS, DVD, DVD re-release and Blu-Ray). So how can we possibly justify 3 optical disk releases of Spearhead before we have even one release of Zygons?????

All excellent points.

Of course they have released them story by story (with the odd twin/triple packs) instead of in season sets with one noble exception to make more money. Nothing wrong with that as a commercial decision but the rate has been slow and only increased when the new series came out. Before the release rate was funereal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    there aint

It's mainly due to budget reasons and the fact that they can't simply overlay a CGI skarasen on top of the puppet model...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if they hadn't bothered with the re-visitations then they would have been finished.

Em My god, how many times do you want to buy episodes that you have already paid for once in your TV License? Once for a permanent copy is fair enough, but endless re-releases before they've even released everything is being ridiculous.

And no other tv series has recieved this amount of care and attention either to get the picture quality

No they wouldnt have finished. As i keep saying revisits are extra releases and they get their own release slots and dont effect the main release schedule. If they hadnt bothered we would still be waiting for the likes of tenth planet ice warriors and mind of evil to come out as they are worked on by different people that work on the revisits (babelcolour and thetamation).

Considering its a brand new restoration with new extras im quite happy rebuying to get the best possible quality. Its not about buying the same episodes again

Considering all they have left is tricky stories and zygons its not that ridiculous and as these revisits are giving the tricky stories more time to be completed its not such a ridiculous notion.

But not everybody has that recon and this is what most fans requested when the episode turned up . Its not just about what you want its what the fans want and majority wanted the recon. Even if the episode was on its own it still would not fit on reign of terror and i heard there is no room on tenth planet for it either so there was nowhere for it to go. think you will find spearhead blu ray is out after zygons so that point is invalid (zygons is due june 24 and spearhead is july 15) .At the end of the day its still a choice you dont have to buy its not as if they are forcing you to buy it at gunpoint even the spearhead reissue to get autons you still chose to buy it or you could have done what others did get a cheap multi region player and buy it from r1.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taking 14yrs to release the DVDs is broadly in line with the time it took to release the VHSs, i think.

And the same approach is being taken with the DVD schedule as with the VHS schedule: complicated stuff that needs loads of restoration is left til the end, with a couple of gems left til the end in between stuff they chuck out in a hurry in order to hide their embarrassment.

Nyder asks "how many times do you want to buy episodes that you have already paid for once in your TV License?". Surely the answer to this is "make do with the VHS and don't buy any DVDs".

I have bought a couple of the revisitations DVDs when they've turned up cheap in sales. The only one I've bought new and fresh was Spearhead/Terror, and I didn't begrudge that in order to get Terror and also nice new Spearhead extras. I'm very happy to get extra extras on Aztecs along with Galaxy Four. Galaxy Four recon is a nice thought, but I got one of the "unofficial" recons (Smugglers) and Mrs Chuff was snoring very loudly by the middle of part one so i wonder how dynamic and engaging the first "official" recon will be....

I am sure we all buy the DVDs as much for the extras as for the actual episodes themselves. All of this extra stuff is pretty much incomparable with other vintage TV DVDs and strikes me as good value.

Is it definite that Underwater Menace is getting is missing episodes animated? Come to think of it, has anyone ever seen anything officially stated about the Tenth Planet release? It seems to have been left off all lists that I have ever seen. This is what makes me think they've got it up their sleeves for a 50th birthday present.

As the DVD range slithers to a conclusion, there is the question of what will happen next. If they issue season boxsets or further recons, I won't be rushing to buy them. I feel that the DVDs I have are pretty definitive, and I don't get a thrill about picture quality.

Reading some of the stuff about the Spearhead bluray has ade the mind boggle: I am really not that fussed with PQ, raised as I was on a diet of vintage telly. Whenever I read about picture restoration, or read Mark Ayres going on about sound restoration, I ended up totally glazed within the first paragraph. I am sure it's all fantastic stuff and cutting edge technology, but Vidfire leaves me cold.

I do wonder how the Classic DW Cash Cow will be milked in future years, once we've all got the DVDs. How many do Revisitations sell, in comparison with original releases?

This weekend's viewing will be a VHS of Honor Blackman Avengers episodes, bought for 50p from the British Heart Foundation yesterday lunchtime. Murky PQ is expected, but that won't interfere with my enjoyment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Underwater Menace is on its own release. Parts1 and 4 will be animated. There was no reason to hold back stories like Zygons and other stories bumped or put back to release "revisitations". You can agree or not, quite frankly I could not care less. I would have preferred to have had stories not released before revisitation. A personal preference. End of AFAIC.

Galaxy 4 is being released with a cut down recon.

We dont know that for definitive yet and animation for underwater menace has not yet been confirmed.

The only story that has been put back and a revist replaced it was reign of terror and that was done because the animation wasnt ready. Zygons hasnt been bumped as it has always been scheduled for release on that date

But galaxy 4 is getting released as an extra. Its not getting a proper release with its own cover and disc therefore i didnt feel it should be counted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All excellent points.

Of course they have released them story by story (with the odd twin/triple packs) instead of in season sets with one noble exception to make more money. Nothing wrong with that as a commercial decision but the rate has been slow and only increased when the new series came out. Before the release rate was funereal.

If they had season sets they would not have had as much restoration work done as they would have had as they would have had less budget to work with and we most certainly would not have had ambassadors and mind in colour and animated episodes either
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I would think Underwater Menace animation is likely, it'll increase the number of "complete" Troughton stories for a start :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally Available to preorder from galaxy 4 webshop:

http://www.galaxy4.co.uk/product.thtml?id=2950&vts=gbwWAAI Legacy box Released 7th jan £19.99

http://www.galaxy4.co.uk/product.thtml?id=2626&vts=gbwWAAI Reign of terror Released 21st jan (think thats a mistake as its supposed to be 28th) £17.99

http://www.galaxy4.co.uk/product.thtml?id=2625&vts=gbwWAwA Ark in space SE 18th feb £17.99

I think i will wait till they turn up cheaper on bbc shop
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they wouldn't have finished. As i keep saying revisits are extra releases and they get their own release slots and dont effect the main release schedule. If they hadn't bothered we would still be waiting for the likes of tenth planet ice warriors and mind of evil to come out as they are worked on by different people that work on the revisits (babelcolour and thetamation).

(Note : I inserted your missing apostrophes, I can't abide that.)

Yes they would have finished. Budgets would have been re-directed etc... increasing team size.
    Considering its a brand new restoration with new extras I'm quite happy re-buying to get the best possible quality. It's not about buying the same episodes again.

The BBC must love you.
    Considering all they have left is tricky stories and zygons its not that ridiculous and as these revisits are giving the tricky stories more time to be completed its not such a ridiculous notion.

Of course it is ridiculous. Everything should have been completed a long time ago.
    But not everybody has that recon and this is what most fans requested when the episode turned up . It's not just about what you want it's what the fans want and majority wanted the recon.

Based on what research?????? Or do you simply speak on behalf of the majority?

Even if the episode was on its own it still would not fit on reign of terror and i heard there is no room on tenth planet for it either so there was nowhere for it to go.

Not particularly believable.

think you will find spearhead blu ray is out after zygons so that point is invalid (zygons is due june 24 and spearhead is july 15) .

I'm so sorry. Three weeks.

So that means that three weeks after the 1st release of Zygons, Spearhead gets it's third release. The point is still VERY much valid.
    At the end of the day its still a choice you dont have to buy its not as if they are forcing you to buy it at gunpoint even the spearhead reissue to get autons you still chose to buy it or you could have done what others did get a cheap multi region player and buy it from r1.

I don't need one, I have an expensive multi-region DVD/Blu-Ray player. I have the Key to Time R1 release and am not impressed with the quality, I only bought that because for some reason the BBC didn't think the British public deserved it at the time.

The BBC's reasoning is obvious. They have deliberately dragged the releases out to last until the Anniversary. This enabled them to bang out re-releases along the way to keep on milking the fans. the Aztec release just proves the point, as did the 'Terror of the Autons' release.
    Forum Member
    Im sorry, but spearhead and Remembrance of the Daleks were of shocking quality and were an embarrassment to the whole DvD collection :mad::mad:

Even though it was the first DW DVD I got, I gladly threw remembrance out of the window in favour of the special edition, and that's on top of the Davros boxset I got :p:p:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stop whinging Nyder. Honestly....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sohoguy wrote: »
    Stop whinging Nyder. Honestly....

So you think 14 years to release a series on DVD in fine?
    Forum Member
    I do -- it allowed me to catch up with the classic series as the dvds were being released, it also allowed time for some truly excellent extras to be polished up, discovered rediscovered and filmed from scratch.

As soon as a new release was available and I had the money I would go out and buy it, then thourgouhly enjoy rewatching it and looking at the extras whilst searching for easter eggs til the next release.
    Forum Member
    Not to mention the enormous increase in quality of DVDs since 1999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do -- it allowed me to catch up with the classic series as the dvds were being released, it also allowed time for some truly excellent extras to be polished up, discovered rediscovered and filmed from scratch.

As soon as a new release was available and I had the money I would go out and buy it, then thourgouhly enjoy rewatching it and looking at the extras whilst searching for easter eggs til the next release.

My you lead a thoroughly exciting life. ;)

But come on, 14 years. Name any other TV series that took that long to release completely.

Any other series is released quickly and completely.

Babylon 5 - boxsets in a period of months
    Star Trek - the same
    etc... etc...

Even with 26 years worth of episodes it really shouldn't have taken that long.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gosh, it's got awfully similar to Outpost Gallifrey round here lately. Reminds me why I only ever used that forum once ... ;)

Really, Nyder, loosen your girdle. Chill out. Calm down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you think 14 years to release a series on DVD in fine?

Yes

When that series required an enormous amount of restoration, filming of some superb extras and brilliant commentary.

Plus it is a series with something like 650 episodes.

And I couldn't afford to have bought it all in a short period of time. Nobody could.

So yes. Yes I do. I think it's been paced out really well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My you lead a thoroughly exciting life. ;)

But come on, 14 years. Name any other TV series that took that long to release completely.

Any other series is released quickly and completely.

Babylon 5 - boxsets in a period of months
    Star Trek - the same
    etc... etc...

But it's a rather pointless complaint. If they were saying: "We won't release everything until 2020" then, yeah, I'd be a bit narked. But it'll all be out by the end of next year, so what's the point in complaining about it?

The horse has bolted. It's pointless fiddling with the gate.
  • stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You really haven't got the slightest bloody clue of the incredibly hard work put in by a tiny handful of people in order to bring out the series in as best a possible manner giving the limitations of the original recordings, do you?
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can bet your a** that it won't be long before they release season box sets and expect us all to buy everything a third (and in some cases fourth) time.

I would love to see the season box sets of the old stuff. :):):)

Like you said, you don't have to buy any new releases whatsoever, but that would be useful to those of us purchasing the DVDs for the first time (like myself).

By the way, if they do go through and animate the missing episodes to the serials which are missing episodes (even just those which are missing only two or fewer episodes), then they will have to spend a few years doing that. This will give us plenty of room for revisitations to fill the release gaps in-between these other releases.