Options

Jo Joyner

KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone think she was pushed to leave? Suddenly from taking six months off...she's now going "indefinately" I can't see her coming back thank God!

Didn't Lorraine Newman say just before she took over that she was putting a stop to all the long breaks the cast were taking?

I think she's been sacked.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was her choice not to renew her contract. But having said that I doubt anyone at EE tried to hard to convince her to stay (aside from cast)...

I think if Ian/Steve/June said they were unhappy the production team would listen and try to accommodate them...of course they are expendable too but it would look a lot worse if one of them quit the show and so concessions would probably be made.
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the inconsistencies and lack of hard facts surrounding her ''break'' I think she was always leaving indefinitely. They don't announce breaks a year in advance. They do, however, announce exits a year in advance.
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    With the inconsistencies and lack of hard facts surrounding her ''break'' I think she was always leaving indefinitely. They don't announce breaks a year in advance. They do, however, announce exits a year in advance.

My thoughts too.

I imagine the production team knew full well that this was a permanent departure, but put out the 'going on a break' storyline to minimise any damaged caused by perceived 'rats deserting a sinking ship' syndrome.

Otherwise the news of Jo Joyner's leaving would have coincided with a batch of other departures, so it's far easier to put out the public word that it is 'a break'. It's a pity that the length of the 'break' varied from version to version, as that was a bit of a giveaway that it wasn't a 'break' at all.
  • Options
    bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a bit of an odd one – with the goal posts always changing. One minute it was a 6 month break, then a year, then 8 months and now indefinitely. I don’t think Jo was pushed, but I do think she was told to publicly say she was going to return – she always said she’d be back in interviews and twitter.

What I’m unsure about is whether this line of ‘taking a break’ was from her or the producers. If a series of characters are leaving, it’s not unheard of for the cast / BBC to announce that it’s just a break to ensure viewers don’t get disheartened – especially if they are high profile names / popular characters. The same was said when Sonia and Martin left as well as when Sharon departed after Dennis’ funeral. Similarly Jane is also ‘on a break’ but I don’t think she will be returning any time soon.

Jo will be out of contract and technically off the payroll so if she does return it will be down to the executive producer at the time. That said, I do think TPTB would welcome her back should she want a return, but I think she’ll be gone for a good couple of years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon Ashdown probably has a batch of scripts already prepped and ready to go for when Jo Joyner returns. He'll probably be on the phone to her every week asking if she's ready to come back to BranningEnders:D
  • Options
    ParoFlameParoFlame Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe it was Jo's choice. They're leaving the door open for her so they're clearly hoping she will return one day.
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    My thoughts too.

I imagine the production team knew full well that this was a permanent departure, but put out the 'going on a break' storyline to minimise any damaged caused by perceived 'rats deserting a sinking ship' syndrome.

Otherwise the news of Jo Joyner's leaving would have coincided with a batch of other departures, so it's far easier to put out the public word that it is 'a break'. It's a pity that the length of the 'break' varied from version to version, as that was a bit of a giveaway that it wasn't a 'break' at all.
    It doesnt make much difference now, all jack, michael and tanya are leaving for good
  • Options
    Black VelvetBlack Velvet Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ParoFlame wrote: »
    I believe it was Jo's choice. They're leaving the door open for her so they're clearly hoping she will return one day.

I hope so. I will really miss her as I have really liked her character Tanya since she first came into Easties.
    She has a marvellous on screen rapport with Max and also with Lauren and Abi as well.
    I found her a good actress and just nice to watch. She certainly be very much missed by me.:(
  • Options
    dale0693dale0693 Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it'll be a good 2 or 3 years before she returns I think she'll be back one day

I wonder how she leaves? The back of a cab perhaps?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope all the Brannings and Cross extensions leave during Tanya's absence. Then there will be no cause to bring her back. Sadly I think Abi and Max are here until doomsday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Cora stays
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really hoping they send Max off to find her and bring his awful kids with him...good storyline to get rid of them all. Then Cora could announce Max found Tanya and they're all gone to live in Australia for a new start.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I'm REALLY annoyed about is that Jo insisted that she was coming back. She actually promised that it was a temporary break and there didn't appear to be any signs of an extension. And now she's left altogether, it's quite disrespectful to go back on your word when you are constantly getting quoted.

But then I guess, people like me, take these star quotes too seriously and believe every word. Maybe she just said it in the heat of the moment or felt like that, at the time. Just disappointed, is all. :(
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    One thing I'm REALLY annoyed about is that Jo insisted that she was coming back. She actually promised that it was a temporary break and there didn't appear to be any signs of an extension. And now she's left altogether, it's quite disrespectful to go back on your word when you are constantly getting quoted.

But then I guess, people like me, take these star quotes too seriously and believe every word. Maybe she just said it in the heat of the moment or felt like that, at the time. Just disappointed, is all. :(
    then it might not be her choice ? at least shes still being honest now
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon Ashdown probably has a batch of scripts already prepped and ready to go for when Jo Joyner returns. He'll probably be on the phone to her every week asking if she's ready to come back to BranningEnders:D

:D:D:D
    Since Jack and Tanya leaving, he probably already put foward ideas to introduce even more Brannings, and form his own Branning colony of adulterers, drunks etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    :D:D:D
    Since Jack and Tanya leaving, he probably already put foward ideas to introduce even more Brannings, and form his own Branning colony of adulterers, drunks etc.

I was thinking of that yesterday. I'm waiting for news of Branning cousins, uncles, aunts, illegitimate children, long lost pets joining the cast soon:sleep:
  • Options
    Spencer_2KSpencer_2K Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    The whole Max/Tanya thing has been very repetitive over the years there is nothing else they can really do with the character. After the cancer storyline she pretty much hit her peak. She will go on to do great stuff as she did before. Good luck Jo!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking of that yesterday. I'm waiting for news of Branning cousins, uncles, aunts, illegitimate children, long lost pets joining the cast soon:sleep:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE No more Brannings! My heart cannot take it lol
  • Options
    secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it has already been suggested, but does anybody think that there is a chance that Jack and Tanya might leave together (as a couple)?
  • Options
    -Batman--Batman- Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I don't know if it has already been suggested, but does anybody think that there is a chance that Jack and Tanya might leave together (as a couple)?

Hasn't Scott already filmed his final scenes and Jo doesn't leave until Summer so I wouldn't of thought so
  • Options
    Mumsy24Mumsy24 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Is there a possibility that Jo could be pregnant again!
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KaylaL wrote: »
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE No more Brannings! My heart cannot take it lol

I fear the 'new family' are just long lost relatives of the Brannings
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KaylaL wrote: »
    Does anyone think she was pushed to leave? Suddenly from taking six months off...she's now going "indefinately" I can't see her coming back thank God!

Didn't Lorraine Newman say just before she took over that she was putting a stop to all the long breaks the cast were taking?

I think she's been sacked.

I dont think Jo ever intended to come back, she was probably keeping her options open. She is a fab actress and will have no problems getting other roles with far less of a work load leaving her more time to spend with her babies.

I personally will really really miss Tanya, I had always hoped Jane would come back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    I dont think Jo ever intended to come back, she was probably keeping her options open. She is a fab actress and will have no problems getting other roles with far less of a work load leaving her more time to spend with her babies.

I personally will really really miss Tanya, I had always hoped Jane would come back.

I thought she might get problems getting work she might be typecast as she has been in EastEnders for 7 years which is long time really
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    dale0693 wrote: »
    I thought she might get problems getting work she might be typecast as she has been in EastEnders for 7 years which is long time really

You could be right. There are only limited opportunities for burying people alive and jumping into bed with the rest of your street outside of soaps.