Who does the housework? And are you happy with that?

frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
Forum Member
When Mr Python and I decided to have kids, we agreed that I would be the stay at home parent. Mr Python's earning capacity was greater than mine so financially it made sense and we wanted one of us to raise them rather than childminders etc. As I was at home it was also agreed that I would do the majority of the housework.

Fast forward to 10yrs hence and I'm still the one doing the vast majority of the housework. I'm trying to run my own little business from home, but Mr Python still expects all washing, cooking, ironing and cleaning to be done by me. He walks the dog and puts the rubbish out. He occasionally runs the kids baths. He does do some DIY but then I do some decorating etc too. Mr Python's job has grown and he's been promoted etc so there is a lot more responsibility and stress on his shoulders too.

Now, I'm not happy with the status quo. I feel it should be a bit more equal share (ironing his own shirt for work for one) but he's reminding me he's the breadwinner and the agreement we made 10 yrs ago.....

So, is housework still seen as "womens work"? Or is it more equal in your house? Does who works/stays at home raising kids have any bearing on the share of housework?

Comments

• Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OH does most of it, hence why it's a tip.
  • skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lived in a shared house with four other people, and although it's never been discussed, the emptying the bins and taking the bags into the alley has unofficially become the lads job, and cleaning the bathroom the girls job. Everyone more or less washes their own dishes and cleans their mess in the communal areas though.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Me I do everything
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me I do everything

Is this a trick answer? Do you live on your own?
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you weren't working id argue different, but things have changed since your agreement ten years ago so stop doing it all OP, you are entitled to work too, even if it is at home. Even if he doesn't do as much housework as you, if you are working and earning, then he should bloody well be contributing to the running of the house too, it's not the 1950s.

We both work full time in our house even though one of us earns about 60% more than the other it's still sharesies on the housework.
    Forum Member
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    Is this a trick answer? Do you live on your own?

No I live with my Mum and Brothers but they are disabled
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    I'm not exactly earning as I ran at a deficit last year, but Mr P sees what I do as a hobby (it's art based fabric sculpture).
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate housework and do very little. We have a cleaner to do most of it and share the rest between us - he takes the bins out, I do the children's baths. I take any ironing to the dry cleaners.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not exactly earning as I ran at a deficit last year, but Mr P sees what I do as a hobby (it's art based fabric sculpture).

Not the point, IMO, if you are busy doing it and consider it a business and expect to turn a profit, he could at least support you by helping a little. Even if it's just washing the pots, drying them and putting them away each might. It's not much to ask is it?
  • UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes wish we had a cleaning fairy who would visit our house every now and again. Sadly it never bloody happens. >:(>:(
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do the 'everyday' things like hoovering, washing, cooking, loading and unloading the dishwasher, changing beds and other everyday cleaning stuff as I work part-time. Mr. Ber irons his own shirts, sorts the garden and will give the bathrooms proper deep clean once every few weeks and cleans the cooker every week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ok, well I guess that would explain your answer then.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now, I'm not happy with the status quo. I feel it should be a bit more equal share (ironing his own shirt for work for one) but he's reminding me he's the breadwinner and the agreement we made 10 yrs ago.....

So, is housework still seen as "womens work"? Or is it more equal in your house? Does who works/stays at home raising kids have any bearing on the share of housework?

Agreements can be changed you know!
    My first OH, the one who I had our kids with let me do everything, he was very old school and yes it was women's work to do it ALL in his opinion including the garden.
    To be honest I was better at doing a lot of stuff so that sort of suited me at one stage.

I then was working part time, running around after 3 kids like a blue arsed fly and doing all that comes with running a busy family home.
    He went to work and was out for the house for 10 hours a day with travel, but when home did nothing at all ever.
    My days were way longer than that.

We live in a different world now and to be honest I look at some younger people I know in their 20s/30s and see that the equal share thing now seems to happen.

Sometime we make our own beds so end up having to lie in them :)
    I would ask for help now and do.
    My new OH does bits and bobs around the house and tends to the garden as well.
    I always go over stuff he does as I am fussy but at least he tries.
  • GoldengayerGoldengayer Posts: 292
    Forum Member

All of them are disabled in the same house?
  • mike joycemike joyce Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Mr Python and I decided to have kids, we agreed that I would be the stay at home parent. Mr Python's earning capacity was greater than mine so financially it made sense and we wanted one of us to raise them rather than childminders etc. As I was at home it was also agreed that I would do the majority of the housework.

Fast forward to 10yrs hence and I'm still the one doing the vast majority of the housework. I'm trying to run my own little business from home, but Mr Python still expects all washing, cooking, ironing and cleaning to be done by me. He walks the dog and puts the rubbish out. He occasionally runs the kids baths. He does do some DIY but then I do some decorating etc too. Mr Python's job has grown and he's been promoted etc so there is a lot more responsibility and stress on his shoulders too.

So you didn't mind doing the housework when you had to rely on your partner's income? Now you have a bit of your own money coming in suddenly you want the agreement you made to change.

I can see why your husband would feel a bit used to be honest.
    Forum Member
    All of them are disabled in the same house?

Yes..
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one seems to do the housework. It's a pigsty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uffa wrote: »
    I sometimes wish we had a cleaning fairy who would visit our house every now and again. Sadly it never bloody happens. >:(>:(

Those fairies are called Domestic Cleaners and the minimum charge is £15 an hour for a minimum of two hours in my area. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those fairies are called Domestic Cleaners and the minimum charge is £15 an hour for a minimum of two hours in my area. :D

£15 an hour? Nice work if you can get it. :)
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I do most of it. and I ALWAYS empty the dishwasher. I've tried leaving it, just to see if anyone else would, but I always give in. It makes me so mad!
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I need a skip more than a cleaning fairy :D

We're just in the middle of one of those MASSIVE clean ups which also involves moving into the smaller bedroom.

I can't see an end to it at the mo as all the rooms are in chaos.

My fault for relying on OH to do everything, including the shopping, in between him working.
    Once it's sorted I am gonna keep it clean though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £15 an hour? Nice work if you can get it. :)

I am too fussy to employ a cleaner and do not need to anyway as I have time to do it now.
    Some of my younger acquaintances who work a lot do have cleaners and gardeners though.
    It is hard to get a good one so they pay top wack to get one who is reliable and trustworthy.
    One lady I know was on a waiting list of a cleaning lady.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also do all of mine and i do live on my own. So I tend to do it whenever i'm bothered or at very random times :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a conversation today regarding how often we clean our skirtings and hoover under our beds. Not telling you my answers. :blush::blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also do all of mine and i do live on my own. So I tend to do it whenever i'm bothered or at very random times :)

Fancy a cleaning job Jason? :)