Options

Problems in Calais with refugees - lack of compassion?

Comments

• Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    frisky python
    What about the lack of compassion shown as was the point with my post?]

>>>>>>

What about lorry drivers at Calais attacked by 'refugees' ?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Its very easy to post put them on a boat and sink it because these people have been dehumanised in most of our eyes. Read a daily Mail article and you will be under the impression that these guys are criminals who carry the Ebola virus who will nick your jobs and rape your wife

They are human beings who want a better life. if I was born in the same siutation maybe I would be trying to get into the UK.

that`s the crux and it`s inexcusable in anyone who wasn`t dragged up by a crowd of bullies in my opinion and then not much.

edit: i sincerely hope it isn`t most because that`s a one trip on a hitler ticket.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The lack of compassion and care shown by the French is what I find most cruel. It really does seem like the French officials just hope they manage to get over here so it's no longer their problem. They seem to have very little interest in helping these people and can't be bothered to deal with them.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Kittiara wrote: »
    I definitely wouldn't wish those poor people harm. Those kind of comments are sick. The way I see it is, these people didn't leave their countries for fun. Many of them will have been pretty desperate. So, to wish them ill is wrong.

There are issues that need to be addressed, of course. I don't know all the ins and outs of the situation, but why can't they live in France? France is a pretty nice country and they will be safe there. There are several other countries where they can settle, too, that are pleasant places to live.

I don't know why they're so set on the UK. Contrary to the belief of some Brits, it's not as though when you arrive in the UK as a migrant, you get to walk the red carpet and get all sorts of goodies handed to you. There's a lack of affordable housing, a shortage of jobs, and you'll soon become aware that a percentage of the population really doesn't want you here.

Don't get me wrong - I like the UK. And I'm a migrant (moved here to be with my British partner). The difference is that I wasn't desperate. If it were a case of needing a safe haven, I would have been happy enough to settle in any safe, decent country that would have me.

According to the Refugee Council the migrants/refugees are not coming to the UK for benefits. Many people argue otherwise, but they did some research and found that not to be the case. Some do choose the UK for reasons given in the links.

http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/assets/0001/5702/rcchance.pdf (see page 26)

http://www.swansea.ac.uk/international/global-research/whyasylumseekerscometotheuk/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wuthering wrote: »
    I think people who call immigrants "scum" and talk about wishing they could blow their boats up are racist bastards with no redeeming features.

However, for people like me who are concerned about the amount of people we let into this country I don't think we lack compassion. Personally, I worry about our resources, racial and religious tension, and a total lack of intergration when you get whole areas being used as a dumping ground for people. I don't think having concerns about any of those things mean I lack compassion. Britain is pretty tiny and full to bursting as it is. I wish we could help everyone but real life doesn't work like that. It's not lacking compassion to point this out, just practical.

Not at all, they to me are genuine concerns that should be discussed. I was disturbed though by those comments this morning and it made me wonder if i was alone in feeling it, it was just bloody awful to read. Those comments to me cloud a discussion on those genuine concerns you raised.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    i don`t think that the majority of posters here so far are grasping your question. [:o]

I don't think the majority of posters actually want them to drown, etc, but these migrants need to stop this. They are not entitled to come here, they are not wanted here, and they know it, but they are willing to be violent, and illegal to get here.

I believe it's the Schengen Visa which allows this, all part of the wonderful (not) EU. It needs to be stopped.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    ...Compassion doesn't mean opening the borders and letting people come here BTW.

Why don't you show some and pop over to Calais with food and drink for them, you're in Kent and can get a foot passenger ticket for a quid - do it daily, they'll really appreciate it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So you are not offering any practical solution then?

No, my post was to highlight concern over the lack of compassion shown by some of those who chose to comment on the article on the newspapers FB page.

I find this worrying in people whose borough I also live in. Were these people always like this?!?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i don`t think that the majority of posters here so far are grasping your question. [:o]

I know, it's pretty disheartening. :(
  • Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    The lack of compassion and care shown by the French is what I find most cruel. It really does seem like the French officials just hope they manage to get over here so it's no longer their problem. They seem to have very little interest in helping these people and can't be bothered to deal with them.

What is their status in France? it seems they have past through several countries and found none of them quite to their liking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dekaf wrote: »
    I don't think the majority of posters actually want them to drown, etc, but these migrants need to stop this. They are not entitled to come here, they are not wanted here, and they know it, but they are willing to be violent, and illegal to get here.

I believe it's the Schengen Visa which allows this, all part of the wonderful (not) EU. It needs to be stopped.

so it wooshed past you too.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you show some and pop over to Calais with food and drink for them, you're in Kent and can get a foot passenger ticket for a quid - do it daily, they'll really appreciate it.

Yes offer them tea and choccy biscuits. Then report back as to how FP found the experience.

Talk to all the other people in Calais too and ask them their opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cessna wrote: »
    frisky python
    What about the lack of compassion shown as was the point with my post?]

>>>>>>

What about lorry drivers at Calais attacked by 'refugees' ?

That's another discussion Cessna. I really wanted to just highlight the lack of compassion. Do you have any comment on that?
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in Kent and it's been in the local news about the problems in Calais, with refugees/migrants waiting in Calais in camps waiting to cross the channel illegally to gain entry to the UK. There has been violent clashes in the camps from groups from different countries over space and area within those camps. A Calais official is so fed up with his town having to deal with this and affecting the local economy that he has said the refugees/migrants should all be given tickets to cross the channel to Kent.
    http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news/immigrants-shipped-to-dover-21399/

Now that's the background. What I find quite disturbing though is the complete lack of compassion shown by people in this country towards this issue. Regardless of where you stand on the immigration issue, why do some people go on to describe these refugees as "scum" and suggest their boats get sunk or their planes blown up? (Both comments given on the FB pages of local newspapers). I can understand that people may not want them here, but to want to harm them to the point of killing them is inhumane.

Is this what some people have become, inhumane with a lack of compassion?

What I would like to know is why they don't want to stay in France. Its a bigger country than this one and has the same facilities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its very easy to post put them on a boat and sink it because these people have been dehumanised in most of our eyes. Read a daily Mail article and you will be under the impression that these guys are criminals who carry the Ebola virus who will nick your jobs and rape your wife

They are human beings who want a better life. if I was born in the same siutation maybe I would be trying to get into the UK.

Problem is that we dont want them. We have enough low skilled workers and dont need more
    that`s the crux and it`s inexcusable in anyone who wasn`t dragged up by a crowd of bullies in my opinion and then not much.

edit: i sincerely hope it isn`t most because that`s a one trip on a hitler ticket.

Agreed. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know, it's pretty disheartening. :(

very and it`s not a complicated query either, the solution is even simpler.
  • Options
    ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My opinion is bollocks to them.....Im sick of seeing them trying to board lorries to get here to freeload...

Those that want them here can house, feed and account for them or better still, travel over and look after them...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    so it wooshed past you too.

No, I don't think it did. I said I don't think people really want dreadful things to happen to these people.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Originally Posted by dekaf

>>>>>

>>>>>

>>>>>

I would hope that most would not wish violence or harm to these people, but having 'sympathy' is unlikely to provide much in the way of free housing, bed and breakfast. As already stated most of them will eventually arrive in the UK , and be accepted by HM Govt anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Really?!? Again, you miss the point. I'm talking about some of the attitudes I highlighted - why would anyone with any decency wish harm to others as I described previously?
  • Options
    Forum Member

What is the solution?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, I don't think it did. I said I don't think people really want dreadful things to happen to these people.

but they still refer to them in dehumanising terms and are generally abusive about other human beings who`re only trying to get by and find a better life, the same as everyone else, that IS a dreadful thing happening to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I didn't think so, but there you go some people just don't understand the point at all. Or they don't want to.
  • Options
    WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »

Well said, I agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What is the solution?

to start treating other people as people. i`m an atheist but do as you would be done by is the way people ought be and i don`t think it`s hard to do.