Options

161,000 signed UK Parliament petition - Accept more asylum seekers!

Erzan2k15Erzan2k15 Posts: 34
Forum Member
Accept more asylum seekers.

There is a global refugee crisis. The UK is not offering proportional asylum in comparison with European counterparts. We can't allow refugees who have risked their lives to escape horrendous conflict and violence to be left living in dire, unsafe and inhumane conditions in Europe. We must help.

Sign: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/105991

Parliament will now at least very likely debate it. Perhaps David Cameron might grow a heart by then.

Comments

• Options
    FruityLoopyFruityLoopy Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cameron and Osborne are so shit scared to do anything that might put them out of favour they will most certainly do something at last.

I imagine The Sun calling the PM a disgrace kick started the backlash against him. The media has too much influence in this country but at least this time its working for the greater good of decent humanity.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 64,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It always amuses me the number who don't sign aren't mentioned.
  • Options
    JayyKJayyK Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »

Its only been up a few hours. Give it a couple of days then see the number! ;)
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not many out of a population of over 60 million
  • Options
    mark e amark e a Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many will sign, pat themselves on the back, then vote Conservative / UKIP at the next election
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great! That's another problem solved. Now where's that petition for world peace, we can get both sorted by teatime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JayyK wrote: »
    Its only been up a few hours. Give it a couple of days then see the number! ;)

It will still be very much less than the number who didn't sign it. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does it? I can't see why, unless you make the mistaken assumption that anyone who doesn't bother to sign a petition (or is completely unaware of it) must disagree with it. It's pretty warped logic IMHO.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Have they provided their home addresses? Seems we have 161,000 potential homes where these migrants can be housed.

Or are they just happy for them to be housed on a poor council estate - so they can feel superior while not being personally affected?

You want them you house them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it? I can't see why, unless you make the mistaken assumption that anyone who doesn't bother to sign a petition (or is completely unaware of it) must disagree with it. It's pretty warped logic IMHO.

The fact is while 161,000 people have signed it that gives you no evidence as to what the rest of the population thinks and therefore the logic of doing anything based on it is very warped indeed.
  • Options
    mark e amark e a Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've signed a petition so they have done their bit. Now to post a like on Facebook and film yourself getting a bucket of water chucked over you.....
  • Options
    Damon_PlemburyDamon_Plembury Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're in Hungry right now refusing to register for refugee camps

And why?

Because they want money and won't get it in hungry! You'd think they'd be happy because their safe! Obviously not!

They want to pick and choose where to go .

They a proberbly not who they claim to be either, hence the reluctance of giving out information
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mark e a wrote: »
    They've signed a petition so they have done their bit. Now to post a like on Facebook and film yourself getting a bucket of water chucked over you.....

You left out getting a selfie done with an asylum seeker.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,606
    Forum Member
    The fact is while 161,000 people have signed it that gives you no evidence as to what the rest of the population thinks and therefore the logic of doing anything based on it is very warped indeed.

The "logic" of such a petition is simply to have it discussed in Parliament. That seems quite reasonable, considering the amount of interest shown.
  • Options
    Erzan2k15Erzan2k15 Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Staunchy wrote: »
    Great! That's another problem solved. Now where's that petition for world peace, we can get both sorted by teatime.

So if Britain was in a state of civil war and you were facing death, you would not try crossing the English channel to France. You would tell the French government, thanks for helping the British rebels by using NATO to bomb my town. But I will stay with my friends and family to die on the streets of Britain. Sure you will. Fine. Good luck with that.
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Probably if there was a petition many more would sign for not letting more in.
  • Options
    Damon_PlemburyDamon_Plembury Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erzan2k15 wrote: »
    So if Britain was in a state of civil war and you were facing death, you would not try crossing the English channel to France. You would tell the French government, thanks for helping the British rebels by using NATO to bomb my town. But I will stay with my friends and family to die on the streets of Britain. Sure you will. Fine. Good luck with that.

France yes. Because i would be safe. I wouldn't refuse Frances help, or refuse to register and i wouldn't travel halfway cross the world to the furthest reaches of Europe for handouts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    The "logic" of such a petition is simply to have it discussed in Parliament. That seems quite reasonable, considering the amount of interest shown.

It may seem quite reasonable to you and me, but there's no reasoning with some folks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Have they provided their home addresses? Seems we have 161,000 potential homes where these migrants can be housed.

Or are they just happy for them to be housed on a poor council estate - so they can feel superior while not being personally affected?

That's like saying that if you want a new hospital or bypass in your area, you should be prepared to help build it or fund it yourself. It's nonsense. People who push for extra government expenditure on something should of course be prepared to pay higher taxes as a result, but that's as far as it should go - they don't have to be personally involved.
  • Options
    SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Has anybody started a petition against accepting more asylum seekers?
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    Has anybody started a petition against accepting more asylum seekers?

Doesn't look like it but would sign one if it were started.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »

I know, it however doesn't change what I said about its validity in terms of what the general populace thinks but it seems some people appear to think as 161,000 signed it then something must be done about it.
  • Options
    Jim NashJim Nash Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will it get as many as the Reinstate Jezza Clarkson poll?
  • Options
    worzilworzil Posts: 4,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

Exactly .
    They would have to be housed meaning thousands of our own would then go backwards on the housing waiting list.
    160,000 What about the millions who don't want them here.
    I do feel sorry for the children but it was their parents who put them in this situation .
    I noticed in the news reports that the vast majority of those fleeing are men on their own .
    Why didn't they stay and fight against their oppressors .
    If we are to sort this out then the EU should come together and take the fight to those causing the problem after all it was we who started this problem by going against a country again to change its leader.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    worzil wrote: »
    Exactly .
    They would have to be housed meaning thousands of our own would then go backwards on the housing waiting list.
    160,000 What about the millions who don't want them here.
    They can start their own petition if they feel strongly enough!