Hollande links Calais refugees with Camerons EU negotiations

weirlandia4evaweirlandia4eva Posts: 1,484
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hollande said he would be travelling to London at the end of the month to meet David Cameron and talk about the Brexit threat.

While France wished for Britain to remain in Europe, he said, solidarity with Cameron’s call for EU reform would depend on the UK agreeing to take its share of asylum seekers, particularly those from Calais.

“On the issue of refugees, it’s true that Britain is not in the Schengen area … but that doesn’t absolve it from making an effort in terms of solidarity, and David Cameron has said this himself,” Hollande said.

“In Calais, there are people who are not seeking asylum in France but to go to the UK. People must understand that you cannot demand solidarity when there’s a problem, and shirk your duties when there are solutions.”

He said he was happy to negotiate on certain issues of concern but added: “If the discussions are about the fundamentals of the EU … we stand for no treaty change.”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/07/france-considers-air-strikes-syria-islamic-state

Cameron is right to insist that the UK works with the UN to take people from the camps. France has ignored the issue of the Calais migrants for years. France should be processing these migrants and either granting them asylum or deporting them.

Comments

• deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While France wished for Britain to remain in Europe, he said, solidarity with Cameron’s call for EU reform would depend on the UK agreeing to take its share of asylum seekers, particularly those from Calais.

Cameron should tell him to round them all up and deport them back to Italy unless they claim asylum in France and their claims are approved, not just let them live on some waste ground endlessly trying to break in to the channel tunnel.

Can anyone imagine Britain letting 8,000 illegals live rough on some waste ground near a major piece of our infrastructure?

Forget reform and solidarity, lets just have the referendum. If we vote to leave, then the EU can make us a better offer and ask us to vote again like they usually do.
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Cameron should tell him to round them all up and deport them back to Italy unless they claim asylum in France and their claims are approved, not just let them live on some waste ground endlessly trying to break in to the channel tunnel.

Can anyone imagine Britain letting 8,000 illegals live rough on some waste ground near a major piece of our infrastructure?

Forget reform and solidarity, lets just have the referendum. If we vote to leave, then the EU can make us a better offer and ask us to vote again like they usually do.

I'm not so sure. We've already got groups of roma gypsies, sometimes numbering hundreds and slowly increasing, dossing down in areas of London like at Marble Arch. That's despite high profile efforts to deport them.

Rather than let these problems fester, I always thought it was better to nip them in the bud. Doesn't look as if there's any chance of that though.
  • Camp FreddieCamp Freddie Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    I'm not so sure. We've already got groups of roma gypsies, sometimes numbering hundreds and slowly increasing, dossing down in areas of London like at Marble Arch. That's despite high profile efforts to deport them.

Rather than let these problems fester, I always thought it was better to nip them in the bud. Doesn't look as if there's any chance of that though.

Unfortunately, those Roma gypsies are EU citizens, merely exercising their "right" to turn an area of our nation`s capitol into the shithole they are more accustomed to.
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mail wrote:

Human rights groups, however, are growing nervous at plans unveiled by the government and approved by parliament last week for another type of camp, dubbed 'transit zones'.

To be located in a narrow border strip, migrants would be held in such camps while their asylum applications are processed and, if denied, would be ejected back into Serbia.

The government says migrants held there will not technically be deemed as having entered Hungarian territory, creating a legal limbo which rights groups say may affect their rights and Hungary's obligations towards them.

Migrants deemed to have crossed illegally or damaged the border fence face possible jail sentences, under new laws adopted last week.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3225320/Penned-13ft-fences-topped-razor-wire-Migrants-treated-like-prisoners-new-Alien-Holding-Centre-Hungary-rounds-unrelenting-wave-refugees-border.html#ixzz3l5M4jSs1
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The Hungarian government is amazing, they unlike Merkel and Hollande seem to have a plan.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/07/france-considers-air-strikes-syria-islamic-state

Cameron is right to insist that the UK works with the UN to take people from the camps. France has ignored the issue of the Calais migrants for years. France should be processing these migrants and either granting them asylum or deporting them.

I agree, of course they should. They use our Calais border as blackmail. They're turning people back at the Italian border as Italy's problem and Calais is somehow the UK's problem. Who are they actually responsible for?
    Also any country encouraging this death race of migrants needs to damn well wake up and with the EU and the UN, deal with the problem properly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Italy and Greece cannot cope, the EU does nothing.
    I'm all for leaving the EU, the UK is strong enough now. The only problem and it relates to the current crisis is if we leave the EU and we're guaranteed to lose our border controls in Calais.
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollande can do whatever he likes because we will be leaving the EU.
  • Fuchsia GroanFuchsia Groan Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Italy and Greece cannot cope, the EU does nothing.
    I'm all for leaving the EU, the UK is strong enough now. The only problem and it relates to the current crisis is if we leave the EU and we're guaranteed to lose our border controls in Calais.

We'd need to resurrect the field fortifications deployed during WW2 - kept the Germans at bay. ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_anti-invasion_preparations_of_the_Second_World_War

Seriously - we'd just need more vigilance of the vulnerable stretches of coast.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the plus, events of the past few weeks, as well as Calais, can only be of benefit to the no campaign.
  • RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could this be the start of the staged fight designed to give Britain a "win" and sure up support for the pro eu camp.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/598776/David-Cameron-European-Union-renegotiation-choreograph-fight-French-government

As reported a few weeks ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We'd need to resurrect the field fortifications deployed during WW2 - kept the Germans at bay. ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_anti-invasion_preparations_of_the_Second_World_War

Seriously - we'd just need more vigilance of the vulnerable stretches of coast.

While the French allow anyone to access trains and ferries. They want rid of them and our border.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/illegal-immigrants-could-quadruple-france-4555820

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-immigration-crisis-at-calais-would-become-even-worse-if-the-uk-left-the-eu-blunkett-warns-10343990.html
  • Fuchsia GroanFuchsia Groan Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »

Yes, I understand that.

I'm suggesting that we beef up security in the UK whether it's travel by rail, car or sea. It can be done if we have the will.
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, those Roma gypsies are EU citizens, merely exercising their "right" to turn an area of our nation`s capitol into the shithole they are more accustomed to.

Not only London! See they have now invaded Oxford. Saw a group of them down by the Castle Mill Stream hanging about.
  • Forever ChangesForever Changes Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Not only London! See they have now invaded Oxford. Saw a group of them down by the Castle Mill Stream hanging about.

Roma beggars are becoming a more frequent sight in my high street. They always say 'Please Boss!' when I walk past. :D

quite a lot on the tube as well, using their babies to blackmail people into giving them money

go to Southall and you'll see tons of illegal Asian immigrants camped under bridges and in alleyways. Parts of London are starting to look like New York
  • johnny_boi_UKjohnny_boi_UK Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roma beggars are becoming a more frequent sight in my high street. They always say 'Please Boss!' when I walk past. :D

quite a lot on the tube as well, using their babies to blackmail people into giving them money

go to Southall and you'll see tons of illegal Asian immigrants camped under bridges and in alleyways. Parts of London are starting to look like New York

You see many of the in glasgow city centre
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I understand that.

I'm suggesting that we beef up security in the UK whether it's travel by rail, car or sea. It can be done if we have the will.

How can beefing up security in the UK stop anyone in France getting here by ferry or rail?
    It's an open invitation without a border in France. Once anyone is on UK soil they can claim asylum, economic migrant or genuine refugee. Beefing up security can only help stop anyone intending to disappear into the shadow economy.
    I'm certainly not against refugees. I'm against the disorganised chaotic mess created by EU inaction and the encouragement which continues to be given to people to make dangerous journeys to get into Europe. Funding refugee camps in neighbouring countries has to be a priority, they are full and can no longer cope and people are living on the streets .. Nor can Greece and Italy cope. It's a shameful mess.
  • DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he needs to assess his wording so it comes across clearly - claiming asylum in the UK, instead of France, suggests that those individuals do not feel safe in France.

If I were Cameron, I would publicly ask "Why do these individuals not feel safe in your country, what have you done to them?" and put the pressure back on him to make them feel like they want to live in France

After all.... France wouldn't want to be seen as bigoted/racist towards anything non-French and non-European right?
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's just falling in line with his German puppetress and also seems unable or unwilling to grasp the difference between asylum seekers and economic migrants or asylum shoppers.

I do hope we get a vote to leave, I'd love to see the look on his and her face when the reality of that dawns on them.