Best smart phone for £10 per month

2»

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    And as you tend to need to uprade every few years if you want the latest apps/games etc what does it matter?
    I should have mentioned that the first thing I will do with whatever phone I get is remove any games from it. Not interested.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, why don't you buy a cheap SIM free handset unlocked and pop this into it:

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly;jsessionid=52732481E518FE3CEFF23CE11D631567?tariff=2913

That'll give you a bunch of minutes, some text messages, and a small amount of data for less than you want to spend per month.

Then you could get something like this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-QWERTY-Free-Mobile-Phone/dp/B00C93MOKU/ref=sr_1_29?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371565959&sr=1-29 which has a qwerty keyboard, so would be less unpleasant for you to type on.

Or a bit more for the phone:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Xperia-SIM-Free-Phone/dp/B00BTCUN6E/ref=sr_1_109?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371566103&sr=1-109

If you're only going to use a few apps here and there then a fairly simple phone should do you.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only just got back to this thread - still biding my time - no hurry. TalkTalk now have the Lumia 520 in black, but even though I'll be a comparitively light user, I'm not sure if I'll be able to manage on the £10 monthly tariff, which I really did want to stick to.

I wondered if navigation apps consume much of the data allowance. Also, are there any other apps or functions that might consume data downloads without you being immediately aware of them?
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I've only just got back to this thread - still biding my time - no hurry. TalkTalk now have the Lumia 520 in black, but even though I'll be a comparitively light user, I'm not sure if I'll be able to manage on the £10 monthly tariff, which I really did want to stick to.

I wondered if navigation apps consume much of the data allowance. Also, are there any other apps or functions that might consume data downloads without you being immediately aware of them?

If you're using an application like CoPilot, which has the maps loaded on the device, then you can navigate without using data. Just be aware that it often takes the phone longer to locate a satellite without cellular triangulation (assisted GPS). If you're planning to use something like Google Maps where the maps are being downloaded on the move as you go, then yes, it'll be constantly using data to get the new maps.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »

With Windows Phones you can download maps (for both car satnav and general pedestrian navigation) for full offline use. You could download them at home over WiFi.

With Google Maps on Android you can do a bit of this for pre-planned routes but you can't have the whole of the UK downloaded onto the phone in advance.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    With Windows Phones you can download maps (for both car satnav and general pedestrian navigation) for full offline use.
    You can on both IOS and Android.

UK based Navmii gave us Navfree. There is lot of choice out there.
    Also Cyclestreets with its similar map pack can be used for both cycling and walking.