Philomena

HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Saw this last night and loved it. Steve Coogan was excellent and as usual so was Judy dench.

Some beautiful scenery, some tender moments and some funny moments. Dame Judy just about got away with her Irish accent. I guess they were thinking that as she had moved to England she would have lost it but I don't know a single Irish person who has lost their accent. My mum is in her 80s and people still ask her if she's enjoying her holiday here because her accent is so strong.

9/10 from me.:)

Comments

• InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's the feel-good film of the year! Or not...

Anyone who's been put off by the trailer, which does make it look like the heartwarming tale of a cynical journalist and a wisecracking old Irish lady, think again. The trailer does a great job of not giving any spoilers and as a result the story is quite different from how it looks in the trailer. It's an intelligent film, the humour goes side-by-side with some heartbreakingly sad moments, some serious consideration of the role of religion and - given Coogan's interest in the subject - the ethics of the British press.

Dench is fantastic. Coogan is very good in another role where he's just snotty enough not to be likeable. Highly recommended.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this. Delighted that Steve Coogan has been doing so well lately.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Yes, it's the feel-good film of the year! Or not...

Anyone who's been put off by the trailer, which does make it look like the heartwarming tale of a cynical journalist and a wisecracking old Irish lady, think again. The trailer does a great job of not giving any spoilers and as a result the story is quite different from how it looks in the trailer. It's an intelligent film, the humour goes side-by-side with some heartbreakingly sad moments, some serious consideration of the role of religion and - given Coogan's interest in the subject - the ethics of the British press.

Dench is fantastic. Coogan is very good in another role where he's just snotty enough not to be likeable. Highly recommended.

Thanks for this Inkblot - I'm looking forward to this even more, reading your thoughts on it.
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Coogan is so underrated.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KMKYWAP wrote: »
    Steve Coogan is so underrated.

He is indeed and I am now slightly in love with him.:)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really wanna see this. I know Judi Dench is a contender for an oscar nomination for her performance.
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was put off by the trailer, which made the film look like sentimental tosh, but word of mouth is much better than I expected.

I'll give it a try on DVD (I'm still a bit too skeptical to make it a night out to the cinema).
  • SalfordPrincessSalfordPrincess Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Think i'll give this a go.Always loved Steve Coogan,does anyone remember Paul Calf?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think I'll give this a go.Always loved Steve Coogan,does anyone remember Paul Calf?

Of course! I always liked Paul Calf (and his sister Pauline).I guess Coogan is lucky they found their way into the public consciousness prior to Mr Partridge. Three Fights, Two Weddings and a Funeral is one of the funniest things ever (I must watch it again).
    Coogan lost his way when he went to Hollywood. Thank goodness he is back, his career is back on track (and he seems to have sorted his personal issues as well). I am also slightly in love with him!:D
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent film. Quite understated. Steve Coogan was very good and surprisingly handsome :). Would recommend to anyone who likes Frears' work or emotional human dramas. I was pleasantly surprised how busy screening was, and there was lots of quiet sobbing :cry:.
    Inkblot wrote: »
    The trailer does a great job of not giving any spoilers and as a result the story is quite different from how it looks in the trailer.
    Having avoided any review spoilers or the true life story behind the film, I was very moved by the twists of the son being both dead and then buried at the convent.
  • TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really want to see this but think I'll wait till it comes out on dvd as I read a review and the story behind it and couldn't help but cry, don't want to sob in the cinema :o
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrishaS wrote: »
    I really want to see this but think I'll wait till it comes out on dvd as I read a review and the story behind it and couldn't help but cry, don't want to sob in the cinema :o

When I saw it the cinema was very dark, but the screen cast a fair bit of light on to the audience. As it's a cinema with stadium seating it was possible to see the film perfectly but also see the audience in front and I could see a lot of people blowing their noses! So don't worry, the ones who stand out will be the people who don't suddenly have a bit of dust in their eyes.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    It's an important story, but neither I nor OH liked the film. Didn't dislike it either, but for me the young Philomena was a lot more moving.
    Bit of a star vehicle for Dench and Coogan and more about the Martin Sixsmith character than Philomena herself. Judi Dench is always v good, but I've had preferred an Irish actor to have her part. I suppose they needed funding and Dench's name brings in the big bucks.
    I was expecting something brilliant and was pretty disappointed.
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    He is indeed and I am now slightly in love with him.:)

Aren't we all?

I really enjoyed every moment of this film. Not one boring moment. I'll give it 10/10.

OH only gave it 6/10. Not enough special effects or car-cashes for the male audience?
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say it was a feel good film but plenty of food for thought.

Superb acting and as the previous poster said,not a boring moment in it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it this evening. A superb and heart breaking film. The film was sold out and many of the people in the cinema were crying during it ( including me) Dench and Coogan are fantastic in it. Sadly being Irish I know there are many women out there ( and now of a few women who were affected by the Magdalene laundries) .
  • td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oldhag wrote: »
    Aren't we all?

I really enjoyed every moment of this film. Not one boring moment. I'll give it 10/10.

OH only gave it 6/10. Not enough special effects or car-cashes for the male audience?

Another woman with her casual sexism here, eh? Could it not be that your OH simply didn't like it?

Anyway, it sounds like a good film. I'll wait until it comes out on DVD, though.
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to see this film earlier this week. I looked forward to it and wasn't disappointed.
    All the cast were perfect for the role they portrayed but full marks to Steve and Judi were brilliant.
    I did cry a little but I also laughed out loud.
    So very sad when you think of all the young women this type of thing happened to.
    They deserve an award for this I have no doubt.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Sad film...8/10

Just about a full house where I saw it, and 95% were over 60.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Sad film...8/10

Just about a full house where I saw it, and 95% were over 60.;)

Yes, I would say that about my screening too. Steve Coogan has a new audience!
    Wonderful film- neither sentimental nor cynical. Uses a light touch to deal with a harrowing subject. Great script and beautifully acted. Just the right length and, as others have said, no boring bits.
  • GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this last night and really loved it though it really made me cry. I went in not knowing any of the story so it was all a surprise, which in hindsight was much more satisfying than knowing the ending beforehand (as I usually do:o)

The Mills & Boon retelling was a highlight.:D
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really wanna see this. I know Judi Dench is a contender for an oscar nomination for her performance.

Cate blanchett will be robbed if she doesn't win for Blue jasmine
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the film and yes, the majority of the audience were silver surfers:).

I dont think the film sets out to be a blockbuster, or even brilliant, that would detract from the subject matter which is sad, infuriating, funny and heartwarming. I wont post a spoiler but the scene between Coogan and the old nun in the chair towards the end made me and several others clap out loud ;).

I am in Northern Ireland so the issue is close to home for some people here.

Oh, and I was not liking Mare Winningham in her role, she has not aged well...she has no lips.
  • JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this today and was surprised how many people were there for an afternoon screening. Very moving story with both Steve Coogan and Judi Dench giving terrific performances. The film moved along at the right pace and stayed just on the right side of sentimentality with lots of light hearted humour to lighten the serious tone of the film.

Overall the best film I've seen this year.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Saw this today and was surprised how many people were there for an afternoon screening. Very moving story with both Steve Coogan and Judi Dench giving terrific performances. The film moved along at the right pace and stayed just on the right side of sentimentality with lots of light hearted humour to lighten the serious tone of the film.

Overall the best film I've seen this year.
    Is there something about Wednesday afternoons - that's when I saw it last week, packed it was, and as I said then, 95% over 65.:)