Options

Mumsnet

Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've never ventured onto this site but have seen some posts referring to it.

Anyone prepared to share their experiences good, bad or indifferent of Mumsnet or even Netmums?

Thanks in advance

FYI This is for research purposes.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it weird to navigate, but had a good laugh at some of the stuff posted it makes here look extremely normal
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Mumsnet is much like Mos Eisley, a wretched hive of scum and villainy.
  • Options
    miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member
    I found it weird to navigate, but had a good laugh at some of the stuff posted it make here look extremely normal

Yeah and it seems quite aggressive too! :D
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    There's a lot of misandry on there.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Product reviews, parenting tips and advice for parents*"

*only female parents though :D
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like Stormfront, only more judgmental.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    The feminist part is interesting, not that I entirely agree with all that is advocated there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    One of the scariest things is that our government have actually started listening to them too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the sanctuary of the people who used to post on the Radio 4 'Woman's Hour' forum...and that was a scary misandric place to be sometimes as can the programme itself (sometimes).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One of the scariest things is that our government have actually started listening to them too.

I'm always slightly bemused as to how certain groups, such as Mumsnet, manage to influence in the press and governments whereas others do not. I put it down to them lending amount of credibility (as part of the public) to which campaign(s) the government is trying to push at the time. No doubt when they have served this purpose they are just as ignored as the rest of the public seem to be.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The helicopter parents who make a fuss, cause most of the problems and push the boundaries :D

You have to love them
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I just glanced on their forum out of interest.

Couldnt understand many of the cryptic codes they were using!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    I just glanced on their forum out of interest.

Couldnt understand many of the cryptic codes they were using!

DH, DD, and DS?:D

From my casual glances from years back I seem to remember those codes being used as follows: DD has done X, DD is corrupted forever more. With X being some action that, while possibly troublesome, would likely be considered insignificant by most.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are people who refer to the act of sexual intercourse for reproductive purposes as "baby dancing".

BABY. DANCING.

Terrifying.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »

:D HeHe!.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    These are people who refer to the act of sexual intercourse for reproductive purposes as "baby dancing".

BABY. DANCING.

Terrifying.

I'm on me hollybobs...........stop it, they are scary.......i have a hat and glove box such is their anger at US losing their child's belongings :eek:
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are these the ones who move house so their offspring can go to the best schools?.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we're all forgetting EWCM

Egg White Cervical Mucus
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    DH, DD, and DS?:D

From my casual glances from years back I seem to remember those codes being used as follows: DD has done X, DD is corrupted forever more. With X being some action that, while possibly troublesome, would likely be considered insignificant by most.

Yep is it something along the lines of dear son, dear daughter etc?

There were a lot of medical codes too. I worked out from context mc but no idea what ttc ( or something like that ) was.

Also found the thread titles confusing. One mentioned "rainbow babies" which i assumed was something to do with stillborn babies but the way it was worded made it seem as though rainbow babies meant something positive?

None of the thread titles were simple, they all seemed wordy and abstract.
  • Options
    That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    And, from what I can gather, hate a bigger proportion of the population for causing all the problems. 50% I believe ;)
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reaction to Mumsnet by this forum is very similar to the reaction to The Daily Mail.

Everyone seems to hate it, yet they know things about it which can only come from reading it regularly and in great detail.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course you're right Hugh

me and stoatie often compare breastfeeding techniques on there
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I went on there when I was working in the childcare sector. Everyone on there seemed so annoyingly hysterical and judgemental. It was even worse than here! :eek: :D
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indie.star wrote: »
    Everyone on there seemed so annoyingly hysterical and judgemental. It was even worse than here! :eek: :D
    Calm down, you're just being silly now... :rolleyes::D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I'm always slightly bemused as to how certain groups, such as Mumsnet, manage to influence in the press and governments whereas others do not. I put it down to them lending amount of credibility (as part of the public) to which campaign(s) the government is trying to push at the time. No doubt when they have served this purpose they are just as ignored as the rest of the public seem to be.

Very true, it's similar to the right wing press and their calling up the so called "Tax Payer's Alliance" for quotes.

The TPA are nothing more than a handful of middle class busy bodies, yet the way they get quoted all the time you would think there are millions of them.