Account number and sort code

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
Forum Member
✭✭
I've given someone my account number and sort code to make an online transfer into my account, but to my suprise, they've actually gone into a branch and paid it in directly through a teller, which has left me wondering, what else is possible if you have someone's acc no and sc? Could you withdraw also? :eek:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,683
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »
    I've given someone my account number and sort code to make an online transfer into my account, but to my suprise, they've actually gone into a branch and paid it in directly through a teller, which has left me wondering, what else is possible if you have someone's acc no and sc? Could you withdraw also? :eek:
    As far as i'm aware, you're not allowed to withdraw with just the account number and sort code.

I think some form of ID is meant to be necessary BUT, when I worked for a hairdressers a few years ago, I was in the bank daily, one day I forgot my ID and they let me withdraw some money - I presume this was because they recognised me but I'm pretty sure it will have gone against their security policy.
  • steve_ludwigsteve_ludwig Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, but you can setup direct debits which go through without any checks, particuarly if its a company which uses the paperless dd system.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This info is written on a cheque anyway, so its hardly very private.
  • Baroness BunkumBaroness Bunkum Posts: 4,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No. My bank always asks for my card before I make any withdrawals or transactions. And usually ask me to sign a slip too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but you can setup direct debits which go through without any checks, particuarly if its a company which uses the paperless dd system.

Doesn't it require a signature? Surely they check that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,683
    Forum Member
    I think Direct Debits can be set up over the telephone so no, I don't think a signature would be necessary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well there must be some kind of security procedure in place, surely a huge security risk like this would be left unchecked?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you've got me stumped on that one. Especially considering all the ebay purchases that are just done by money transfer now a days, wheres all the fraud? :confused:

Apart from the nigerians of course. :(
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a debit card stolen last week. The thief managed to use it three times to steal a total of £500 in spite of the fact that he had less than two hours to do it. I am horried that the bank could have let it happen.
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I managed to set up a direct debit in my name on someone else's account quite easily.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a debit card stolen last week. The thief managed to use it three times to steal a total of £500 in spite of the fact that he had less than two hours to do it. I am horried that the bank could have let it happen.

The thief used it after you cancelled the card?
  • fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ordinary customers cannot initiate a Direct Debit but rather they give a third party the authority to initiate one on their account. Example is a utility company. All Direct Debit initiators have to be members of the Direct Debit Scheme and sponsored by their Bank with BACS. This is what BACS say:

Q. How can I be sure my account is safe from fraud?
    A. It's very unlikely that this will ever occur because companies using Paperless Direct Debit go through a careful vetting process before they're authorised and are closely monitored by the banking industry. This means they're checked for integrity, sound financial standing and administrative capability before being permitted to offer Direct Debit as a payment method. However if money were to be drawn from your account fraudulently you'd be protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee and would be entitled to an immediate refund from your bank.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fainéant wrote: »
    Ordinary customers cannot initiate a Direct Debit but rather they give a third party the authority to initiate one on their account. Example is a utility company. All Direct Debit initiators have to be members of the Direct Debit Scheme and sponsored by their Bank with BACS. This is what BACS say:

Q. How can I be sure my account is safe from fraud?
    A. It's very unlikely that this will ever occur because companies using Paperless Direct Debit go through a careful vetting process before they're authorised and are closely monitored by the banking industry. This means they're checked for integrity, sound financial standing and administrative capability before being permitted to offer Direct Debit as a payment method. However if money were to be drawn from your account fraudulently you'd be protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee and would be entitled to an immediate refund from your bank.

Typical :(
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member

No.

For the last few years, the majority of direct debits have been set up by the originating companies & the banks never see the signed authorities (if indeed they exists).

However, direct debit initiators are stringently vetted before they are allowed to participate in the scheme, so when (not if !) mistakes are made, the banks are confident that they can recover the money.

The banks therefore provide their customers with a "Direct Debit Guarantee" which promises to re-credit their account if an amount is incorrectly claimed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bookends wrote: »
    The thief used it after you cancelled the card?

No he (I assume) used it before I got the card cancelled. He forged my signature (twice at the same counter). I thought you still had to have ID but I may be wrong about that.

The person who did it should be identifiable on CCTV.

Still there was only about £250 in the account and that should have been the limit of my losses. The bank then allowed an overdraft and gave away another £250 at another branch.

I expect the bank to repay the money but I guess it will be a while.

Fortunately the thief did not many to do anything with the other cards.
  • Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Usually I just use the cash machine for cash and the internet for transfer of funds, but a couple of weeks ago I had to draw out a large amount from the bank itself. First time I'd done that in years, so took ID fully expecting them to ask me to prove who I was. They didn't need it, I was very surprised. All I had to do was sign my name while witnessed by the teller and then it's checked against the signature held on the computer. I even questioned if they wanted some ID, she just said no, the signature was very good. Wide open to fraud I'd have thought.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rugby Rose wrote: »
    Usually I just use the cash machine for cash and the internet for transfer of funds, but a couple of weeks ago I had to draw out a large amount from the bank itself. First time I'd done that in years, so took ID fully expecting them to ask me to prove who I was. They didn't need it, I was very surprised. All I had to do was sign my name while witnessed by the teller and then it's checked against the signature held on the computer. I even questioned if they wanted some ID, she just said no, the signature was very good. Wide open to fraud I'd have thought.

I can very that 100%. I actually thought that my signature would be impossible to forge convincingly.

I will not be carrying a card with my signature ever again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can very that 100%. I actually thought that my signature would be impossible to forge convincingly.

I will not be carrying a card with my signature ever again.

Then someone steals that and signs it himself and doesn't have to worry about trying to copy yours. Plus if you use your card somewhere and it has to be signed for it won't be accepted without a signature.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 331
    Forum Member

i had a problem a couple of years ago where someone i was sharing a house with got hold of an old atm card and walked into a branch in liverpool and drew out £300 out of my account, now the thing is i was in a branch in manchester at near enough the same time withdrawing money over the counter and i had my passport for ID, yet noone noticed the two transactions in two cities at virtually the same time, i eventually got the money back after 6 weeks, and i have left that bank now, but i would never give my bank details to anyone now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ItsMyLife wrote: »
    Then someone steals that and signs it himself and doesn't have to worry about trying to copy yours. Plus if you use your card somewhere and it has to be signed for it won't be accepted without a signature.

No I was not suggesting carrying an unsigned card. I was suggesting carrying only cards that do not require signatures.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I was not suggesting carrying an unsigned card. I was suggesting carrying only cards that do not require signatures.

Like what? I've only ever had cards that have signitures.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There a number of cash cards that do not need signatures.

In the days of chip and pin they are a bit reduntant anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Disagree most [if not all] cards that are ATM withdrawal card or debit/credit card have a signiture strip aswell as a chip. Not all stores are Chip&PIN in the UK yet and especially abroad most places are signiture
  • zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ItsMyLife wrote: »
    Plus if you use your card somewhere and it has to be signed for it won't be accepted without a signature.
    I went into Tesco's once and the girl on the checkout couldn't see my signature (as it had almost faded away), and she refused to accept it.
    I got a pen out and went to sign it and she said 'Sorry, I can't accept it, if I've seen you sign it' :mad:
    So I bent down out of sight, signed it, then stood back up and she took it!! hehe - The mind boggles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well name 1 then. Chip&pin have signiture strips still.