Outrage over the ted DVD and blu ray release

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread was referring to the UK, so I was only counting UK releases. As I mentioned earlier I've already pre-ordered from HMV (a decision I now regret), but thanks...

The problem with HMV is they have stopped using first class and now use TNT or one of the mailsort style sort companies which ends up being even slower than second class. My spiderman steelbook was sent out Wednesday lunchtime, and I never got that today.
    CI retailers are having to cut back on costs due the this governent clamping down on them, and of course the only people that loose are the customers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    The problem with HMV is they have stopped using first class and now use TNT or one of the mailsort style sort companies which ends up being even slower than second class. My spiderman steelbook was sent out Wednesday lunchtime, and I never got that today.
    CI retailers are having to cut back on costs due the this governent clamping down on them, and of course the only people that loose are the customers.

Same here actually. I'm not overly bothered though because it's a Christmas present so i'm not in a rush to watch it on release day, but it's a shame that HMV have changed their postage system, the last Blu Ray i bought from them (the Avengers steelbook) was delivered 2 days early.

Funnily enough, as HMV seem to be going backwards, Play.com appear to have improved their postage as i received my Ted Steelbook this past Saturday:)
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That explains it then.Its a good way to loose custom and push more people to use sites such as amazon and play
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That explains it then.Its a good way to loose custom and push more people to use sites such as amazon and play

Play are just as bad, they use to use first by default now you have to pay for it otherwise if you want free postage then it comes second class. Now that amazon have shut down their Jersey outlet (or not using them on amazon.co.uk) no CI stuff comes first anymore, they are all using mailsort companies, even sainsburys and tescos are now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Same here actually. I'm not overly bothered though because it's a Christmas present so i'm not in a rush to watch it on release day, but it's a shame that HMV have changed their postage system, the last Blu Ray i bought from them (the Avengers steelbook) was delivered 2 days early.

Funnily enough, as HMV seem to be going backwards, Play.com appear to have improved their postage as i received my Ted Steelbook this past Saturday:)

I am in no rush for it myself and doubt we will watch it yet but its just nice to have it, normaly they come Saturday or Monday so was surprised it never arrived today. Gone are the days when you use to pre-order something on HMV and it use to turn up Thursday/Friday. You were lucky with avengers, mine never came until the Monday.
    I think play are improving pre-orders and think they are dispatching quicker but with second class from the CI it can drag its feet, normally stuff I order from play take 7 days from ordering to receiving, assuming its in stock.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    exactly!! Hopefully I'll see the deleted scenes somewhere. I'm not forking out for a blu ray player. I'm going to buy the DVD eventually but not till it's like a fiver espc as there's no extras on it. Why should people pay £15 for a DVD with jst the film?

There was an advert for HMV on the radio last night saying that they had the DVD of Ted, with (in their words) over half an hour of extras, for £10.

OP, are you sure that there were no extras on the DVD that you looked at in Sainsburys? Because, if there wasn't, or if you wanted the disc with extras for a fiver less, just nip down to HMV instead.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was an advert for HMV on the radio last night saying that they had the DVD of Ted, with (in their words) over half an hour of extras, for £10.

OP, are you sure that there were no extras on the DVD that you looked at in Sainsburys? Because, if there wasn't, or if you wanted the disc with extras for a fiver less, just nip down to HMV instead.

Definitely sure,the blu ray did and the DVD didn't.Maybe its an hmv exclusive
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    The point trying to be made is that entertainment media is pretty much cheaper now than it was 12 years ago and I'd say we are pretty lucky that the prices haven't risen with inflation as alot of ofther things have.

Indeed - I can remember paying over £10 for a VHS in 1992 (Aliens special edition). Putting £10 into an inflation calculator gives ~£17 in today's money.

Given the extras and better picture quality that comes with Blu-ray over VHS - i'd say £15 for a blu-ray is pretty reasonable.
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    There's often good deals to have on older stuff as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ajurassic+park&keywords=jurassic+park&ie=UTF8&qid=1354032292

At the moment you can pick up Jurassic Park Trilogy on Blu for £9 on Amazon, compared to £13.69 for the DVD set. Similar price for the BTTF Blu which is only a quid more expensive than the DVD set. The Harry Potter set is only around £27. You're talking about £3 a movie for all these sets.

I guess I remember forking out £15+ for DVDs, £20+ for Criterion DVDs and near on £70 for full season box sets like Buffy. Blu prices aren't bad in comparison, especially if you're willing to wait a while and not buy things on release.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    I Am Literally Shaking With Anger.

Some one inform the daily mail:D