Options

This show is really starting to sod me off.

_Zd_Phoenix__Zd_Phoenix_ Posts: 5,081
Forum Member
I have nothing against shows like Britain's Got Talent and X Factor in theory - but why oh why does the format have to become so utterly naff? I mean it's almost like a pastiche of itself.

Over-hyping the show? Check.

Mawkish sob stories? Oh hell yes.

... and the worst of all for me is the montages. 'It's been a great day today!' says Dec. Has it? How would we know? We got to see about 4 seconds of each act before the usual old reliance on sentimentality kicks in. You can tell an act taht got through from a mile off, because they're given a 10 minute intro.

These shows really don't need this rubbish ... why can't the talent speak for itself? It's Britain's Got a Tired Format so far.

Comments

• Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree to some extent - Idon't want to hear the sob stories. I'm also a bit peed off with them showing Ant and Dec's reaction during the performances. It's as though they think the audience at home is too hyperactive to watch an act all the way through and need to watch Ant and Dec's reaction to keep our attention. It was particularly annoying in the martial arts act as it destroyed the continuity of the performance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree to some extent - Idon't want to hear the sob stories. I'm also a bit peed off with them showing Ant and Dec's reaction during the performances. It's as though they think the audience at home is too hyperactive to watch an act all the way through and need to watch Ant and Dec's reaction to keep our attention. It was particularly annoying in the martial arts act as it destroyed the continuity of the performance.

Completely agree. I was craning my neck, trying to watch the acts.
    Very annoying! :mad:
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member

Ant and Dec are fantastic. I love when it cuts back to them, especially during the martial arts tonight. So funny. :D
  • Options
    _Zd_Phoenix__Zd_Phoenix_ Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    I must admit, I rather like ant and dec ... with so much else taking away from actually seeing the acts in the show, they're lower down on my list. I agree though, sometimes it takes away from the fluidness of the act. But when you're only seeing one or two acts properly because of all the other rubbish, there's far more to moan about ...
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethereal wrote: »
    Ant and Dec are fantastic. I love when it cuts back to them, especially during the martial arts tonight. So funny. :D

Don't get me wrong - I love Ant and Dec but sometimes it's really annoying when you want to watch the act. I agree that if they had less of the cr*p like the ferrets it would be a better show.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have nothing against shows like Britain's Got Talent and X Factor in theory - but why oh why does the format have to become so utterly naff? I mean it's almost like a pastiche of itself.

Over-hyping the show? Check.

Mawkish sob stories? Oh hell yes.

... and the worst of all for me is the montages. 'It's been a great day today!' says Dec. Has it? How would we know? We got to see about 4 seconds of each act before the usual old reliance on sentimentality kicks in. You can tell an act taht got through from a mile off, because they're given a 10 minute intro.

These shows really don't need this rubbish ... why can't the talent speak for itself? It's Britain's Got a Tired Format so far.

I do agree with that part. I would like to see more of the acts rather than a quick rundown and then the ones that get through a 10 min job.
  • Options
    Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Ant and Dec, I just find them hilarious and if they had an entire show just showing their reactions I'd probably find it more entertaining.

What really peed me off last night was why did they skip past was was really some good, interesting talent that got through, the girls with the harps for one? Instead they concentrated on us some slapper with her paps falling out who thought she could dance and then a guy who obviously had learning difficulties, quite possibly autistic, taken advantage of and made a laughing stock when he tries to do his impressions. Ok, I admit to laughing when Ant pointed out he could get out of the building right, but there are laws against taking the pee out of the disabled, it's called the Disability Discrimination Act. They should be ashamed of themselves, the lot of them. :(
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I agree to a certain extent, I hate the bloody sob stories :mad: However genuine they may be (Pie Jesu kid, Fillipino woman), they don't need a sob story if their confident in their own ability :rolleyes:
  • Options
    MikayMikay Posts: 10,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with most of what you said. This is the only show where I don't like Ant and Dec, and I absolutely love them in principle.

Another thing that bugs me is that the audience seems to be made up of entirely chavs.. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but they're willing to shout "OFF!" to anybody, jeer and laugh at an aspiring essex wideboy.. it's a bit of a joke really.
  • Options
    trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ant and Dec make the show for me - we do get do see more of the acts in the later stages anyway, but the audition rounds are set up like this to give us a laugh - much prefer this to the X Factor, anyway.
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,940
    Forum Member
    What's really annoying me is that irritating "Oh my god I can't believe it" face Amanda Holden keeps doing, usually accompanied by her mouthing "Oh my god" and fake tears. I just want to reach into the TV and slap her :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit, Amanda seems to be working over hard for her pay cheque, this series!;)
  • Options
    jackulatorjackulator Posts: 7,209
    Forum Member
    i watched it last night for the first time ever ,it was garbage , ive still not watched the aprentice and after a taster in popular tv progs i dont think i,ll bother .
  • Options
    redcherryredcherry Posts: 12,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's really annoying me is that irritating "Oh my god I can't believe it" face Amanda Holden keeps doing, usually accompanied by her mouthing "Oh my god" and fake tears. I just want to reach into the TV and slap her :mad:

me too! I still cant work out why she is a judge!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because Simon fancies her??:D:D
  • Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackulator wrote: »
    i watched it last night for the first time ever ,it was garbage , ive still not watched the aprentice and after a taster in popular tv progs i dont think i,ll bother .
    They hit Blackpool next week and "talk about the end of the pier show" the judges find out how bad acts can be, there are more shattered dreams than you'd find in a mirror warehouse
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Why is Piers Morgan a judge?! He's an (ex) newspaper journo isnt he? What does he know about music?! :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,062
    Forum Member
    If you don't understand the appeal of Ant and Dec (which I don't) then they can ruin it for you. They don't like to be off the screen for long, do they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, I doubt if it's them that dictate how long they're on screen for, but if you don't like them, then you don't like them and I can see it'd be annoying for you when they pop up.....I feel the same when Amanda opens her trap, but not enough to put me off the show.
  • Options
    LoubeeLoubee Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rugby Rose wrote: »
    I love Ant and Dec, I just find them hilarious and if they had an entire show just showing their reactions I'd probably find it more entertaining.

What really peed me off last night was why did they skip past was was really some good, interesting talent that got through, the girls with the harps for one? Instead they concentrated on us some slapper with her paps falling out who thought she could dance and then a guy who obviously had learning difficulties, quite possibly autistic, taken advantage of and made a laughing stock when he tries to do his impressions. Ok, I admit to laughing when Ant pointed out he could get out of the building right, but there are laws against taking the pee out of the disabled, it's called the Disability Discrimination Act. They should be ashamed of themselves, the lot of them. :(

As someone who has worked with disabled people, I'd have to say that Britain's got talent shows a lack of discrimination against the mentally/physically impaired. After all, the competition is open to anybody regardless of ability. If it turned people with learning disabilities away it would be a different matter, but it doesn't, and what's more all contestants are treated the exact same by the audience and judges.

Also, there's the contestants themselves. Not all people with disabilities need to be wrapped in cotton wool, many live capable and fully independent lives. They are perfectly able to make their own decisions and follow them through. Just because they don't sail through to the next round, doesn't mean they're going to take it harder than anyone else. Besides, simply because Donald and David don't interact with people too well doesn't make them learning disabled.