AV amp help needed please.

Right, I am a complete tit when it comes to AV, so bear with me.

I have a 55" Samsung edge lit LCD tv which has four HDMI ports, which everything is connected to - being a PS3, a Blu-ray player and a Sky box. So far I am up to speed.

But my amp is a Samsung that I bought for £179 from Richer Sounds about two years ago. It's sleek and looks like a VCR machine. It looks nice anyway.

However, it has no HDMI inputs and only one optical input and one co-axial.

When I listen to films on Sky HD, the sound is incredible through the co-axial, but the Blu-ray with the optical thing it's not the same - also as there is only optical I have to keep fiddling at the back to play the PS3.

Is there an amp that I can connect everything via co-axial and not have to keep reaching round the back for about £200?

I have bought three switchers for the optical bit and none of them work - is that just bad luck or is it the amp?

I rather every thing was co-axial judging by the Sky box.

Is there such a thing?

I have Googled, but I don't understand most of the terminology.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,389
    Forum Member
    Usually amps just have one Coaxial port for a DVD player and in any case there shouldn't be much difference in sound quality between Optical and Coaxial.

It might be that the PS3/Blu Ray audio settings are not adjusted correctly, I can't comment myself but I'm sure someone will be along to advise the proper settings.

And also, can you not play Blu-Rays in your PS3?

Get back to me on these, but I don't believe you need a new amp just yet.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    If you want the best out of everything you have, then a new sound system will do the trick.

The Onkyo HTS3305 will allow you to connect your Sky box via HDMI for video and optical/coaxial for the audio, you need the secondary audio connection for DD5.1 as the HDMI on the Sky box does not carry DD5.1, only stereo.

You will also be able to connect your PS3/BD player via HDMI, no secondary audio connections are needed here, HDMI will do the lot for you. Then you will have one HDMI returning from the amp to your TV. The amp will then do all the video switching.

Once connected you will then be able to enjoy DD5.1 from Sky when available, your PS3/bluray player will be able to deliver Dolby Digital/DTS and HD audio.

Sounds great, but the down side is it's £99 over your budget.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/1-box-home-cinema-systems/onkyo/hts3305/onky-hts3305-blk

What optical switches did you buy - where they 2way?

If they were, the box not in use needs to be placed in standby.

Note: If you have a Pace Sky box, then even in standby the optical is still live, thus stopping the switch from working.

A three way switch will work, this is a manual version and it doesn't matter if all boxes are on.

Just be aware that using optical/coaxial will be restricting what your PS3/BD player can output audio wise, notable HD audio. You will need a HDMI compatible amp for HD audio, one that allows multichannel PCM over HDMI or has onboard decoders.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What, and how many, speakers do you have at the moment? You can buy the receiver [click] separately, which will reduce the cost somewhat.

Knowing what speakers you have already will help in making your decision. Indeed, the receiver is only £20 over a £200 budget.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RobAnt wrote: »
    What, and how many, speakers do you have at the moment? You can buy the receiver [click] separately, which will reduce the cost somewhat.

Knowing what speakers you have already will help in making your decision. Indeed, the receiver is only £20 over a £200 budget.

I have Yamaha 5.1 separates that cost £100 two years ago. They seem up to the job (judging by watching Angles & Daemons on Sky Box Office, what a shite film by the way).

I feel like calling Sky and demanding my 3.99 back on that front - but the sound was brilliant - something I don't get via my PS3 or Blu-Ray Player.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They may well be okay, temporarily. Just check the number of ohms & watts they work best at, and check what ohms & watts are similar. Speakers are generally either 4 ohms or 8 ohms - if they're something ridiculous like 600 ohms, then your going to have problems.

As the receiver is being sold with satellites, I would imagine they're very similar. Yamaha have a good reputation.

Of course none of this is relevant if, after listening to them together, you find you can't live with the kind of sound they make. So it's best to see if you can get a demo. But at that end of the market, I doubt they're going to be running after you with their piggy bank with it's mouth open.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    I have Yamaha 5.1 separates that cost £100 two years ago. They seem up to the job (judging by watching Angles & Daemons on Sky Box Office, what a shite film by the way).

I feel like calling Sky and demanding my 3.99 back on that front - but the sound was brilliant - something I don't get via my PS3 or Blu-Ray Player.
    If you are happy with the speakers then just buy the Onkyo receiver. The receiver on it's on will be the TXSR-308, comes in at about £229. The Yamaha speakers are 6 ohms so the amp will be OK. In fact the Onkyo speakers that go with the HTS3305 are 6 ohms.

To be honest, for the amount extra you are paying for the complete package doesn't need thinking about, the speakers on their own retail at £170, and will be noticeably better than the Yamaha NSP110's, which I assume are the ones you have now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I notice it doesn't play DIVX discs (purely for back up purposes).

What sort of price tag am I looking at for a decent AV system that can handle my SkyHD box, PS3 and Blu-Player for?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I notice it doesn't play DIVX discs (purely for back up purposes).

What sort of price tag am I looking at for a decent AV system that can handle my SkyHD box, PS3 and Blu-Player for?
    That system cannot play any form of disk. For one very good reason. It has nothing on which to play a disk. :)

That is the job of your Blu-ray player or PS3 surely? The Onkyo system will easily accommodate all your kit with room to spare.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    That system cannot play any form of disk. For one very good reason. It has nothing on which to play a disk. :)

That is the job of your Blu-ray player or PS3 surely? The Onkyo system will easily accommodate all your kit with room to spare.

:) Thanks - seems obvious now :o