The Simon Cowell Appreciation Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• DE53DE53 Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some interesting points raised. I didn't watch it so can't really comment on the judges. I'm not sure about that Sun poll, mainly because of it's owner and his links with XF but according to that Cheryl is more missed than Dannii :confused: Strictly might bring down the figures i suppose but i used to watch Strictly and record XF so i could whizz through all the adverts :yawn: Not sure how i feel about Simon coming back for finals for me it didn't work with BGT but i suppose if Gary has some balls and dosen't ar*e lick like Michael and Amanda it might work :o. Hopefully with the new panel it will be more about the contestants and less about the judges whereas IMO if Robbie had been in Gary's place it would have been all me me me. I do wonder if ITV are seeing how this goes down before telling us whether we can see xfusa in September. If xfusa is contracted for 3 years i can't see S coming back here except maybe on flying visits to se his family :(
  • dexydaldexydal Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DE53 wrote: »
    wn before telling us whether we can see xfusa in September. If xfusa is contracted for 3 years i can't see S coming back here except maybe on flying visits to se his family :(

We didn't think he would be here much this year with the US XF taking off, but he has spent more time here then ever these last eight months. I doubt we will see much of him over here over the next 3 though with the promotions and then the show taking up all of his time. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do his Judges House over here, just a feeling...

Even if he doesn't appear as a judge on the final, I have a feeling he will be here for it, first year at Wembley Arena too.
  • ~Jane~~Jane~ Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought XF was sh1t to be honest. sorry but I ain't gonna mince my words about it. Kelly Rowland is SO annoying, I turned over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quick trip over to Saulaland revealed an interview with GQ that had been posted. It was from Miami so fairly recent. It seems Si was happy to answer any questions until the interviewer asked if he was still enthusiastic about the idea of marriage :eek:
    Quote: There has been nothing i have asked him until now, however nosy or impertinent, that has shown the slightest sign of ruffling him. But now he has a completely different look on his face, as though he dosen't know what to say or where to go with this
    Or is that a tricky one?
    " yeah, Let's just leave that one"
    And it's clear he means this more than almost anything else he tells me

Oh dear where is Max when he needs him :D:D
    Probably explains lack of holiday picks ;)
    Sounds like he is no longer smitten with the one but then i suppose he's got Pawla now ;)

I wonder if his mum still thinks he is going to get married ? still she never sounded that keen on Mish did she :D
  • allie5allie5 Posts: 4,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the timing is as expected - I seem to remember we predicted the "big love affair" would be fizzling out just before XF USA launched. Shove off Mystic Meg, we are miles better than you :D

Although after reading all that stuff about Si wanting to be frozen, I did wonder if it was the only chance of Kerching finding her man a little stiff ;) Oh dear thats not nice for the AT is it - Im only kidding...:D Im looking forward to the big rounds of interviews and press we will get as we build up for the XF USA launch. Should be some good stuff! Not long to go now!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for the USA promotion, i love seeing him on all the chat shows over there.

He has spent a surprising amount of time in London this year, logistically he could even have done most of BGT, but i wonder if he just wanted some private time away from the cameras, as he's going to be in America for the rest of the year and perhaps more so next year if the show takes off.

Without analysing too much here, i did feel sorry for him when i read his reaction to the GQ marriage question. His personal life has appeared nothing short of a mess this year and something took it's toll around the time of BGT, which spoiled his return.

I'll always admire him for leaving our XF whilst most of the public still want him. I don't think he wants to be another Brucie, doddering around the judges table when he's 84 :D He'll be welcomed back for the final, it's still his show and he's the one most people will always associate XF with whether he's a judge or not. I guess ITV2 are seeing how the show holds up without him before deciding whether to show XFUSA this year. If our one takes a dip in ratings or becomes slightly mundane, then it will not compare favourably with the super jazzed up US version. At the very least, i hope they show it no later than January.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MICH78 wrote: »
    I can't wait for the USA promotion, i love seeing him on all the chat shows over there.

He has spent a surprising amount of time in London this year, logistically he could even have done most of BGT, but i wonder if he just wanted some private time away from the cameras, as he's going to be in America for the rest of the year and perhaps more so next year if the show takes off.

Without analysing too much here, i did feel sorry for him when i read his reaction to the GQ marriage question. His personal life has appeared nothing short of a mess this year and something took it's toll around the time of BGT, which spoiled his return.

I'll always admire him for leaving our XF whilst most of the public still want him. I don't think he wants to be another Brucie, doddering around the judges table when he's 84 :D He'll be welcomed back for the final, it's still his show and he's the one most people will always associate XF with whether he's a judge or not. I guess ITV2 are seeing how the show holds up without him before deciding whether to show XFUSA this year. If our one takes a dip in ratings or becomes slightly mundane, then it will not compare favourably with the super jazzed up US version. At the very least, i hope they show it no later than January.

Nice post Mich and I agree totally.

I think he has been in a bit of turmoil this last year - Im sure there is a lot more to it than we know, but even the standalone pressure of making US XF a hit must be enough to keep his stress levels extremely high. Its no wonder he wanted to take a back seat away from the cameras for awhile. As from the next few weeks, once again he will become "public property" and the tabloid spotlight will be zooming in on him.

One wonders how they will play the "Kerching Thing" as with a gazillion interviews lined up, at least a few of them are going to raise the question - and if its avoided, side stepped or ignored in every single one, then it wont be long before speculation mounts and some official stance will need to be given. As much as his PR might try to block "personal" questions, with live interviews it wont be easy to keep a rein on - and there will always be one tennacious reporter looking for a scoop.

It will be very disappointing if ITV dont show XF USA the same way as Idol. Although I have a nasty feeling they wont somehow. Which, in this day an age of streaming and global media is completely ridiculous. Maybe a few years ago there would have been some merit in holding it back but not any more. They would be better off seizing the day with it rather than hold it back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the sort of thing Simon will be dreading...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2029032/X-Factor-2011-Gary-Barlows-boring-replace-Simon-Cowell-Mr-Nasty.html

Unfortunately, I could see it coming a mile off. Gary is just too wishy washy for the show and BLAND is the very last thing they need on it. I think Gary may have been a good replacement for Louis if Simon had stayed but he isnt strong enough to carry the show. Even when Gary tries to be "nasty" its not working. Maybe they have some surprises in store but the very worst thing to happen to X Factor will be mediocrity. Its needs glamour, glitz, DRAMA and passion - and its lacking all of these (for me) this year. Simon bought a hard to define spark to the show and this year things are just "OK". Its not BAD - its still well produced and the judges are by no means awful, its just not very interesting....and Gary never was very interesting, even though is arguably one of our most talented musicians, he simply doesnt have the personality to anchor this show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie5 wrote: »
    It will be very disappointing if ITV dont show XF USA the same way as Idol. Although I have a nasty feeling they wont somehow. Which, in this day an age of streaming and global media is completely ridiculous. Maybe a few years ago there would have been some merit in holding it back but not any more. They would be better off seizing the day with it rather than hold it back.

I can't remember if i've mentioned it, but i did email ITV but their reply was only to say they have bought the rights but have no scheduling details yet. At this late stage, i can't believe they haven't already set the Autumn/Winter schedule for ITV2 and i agree, with the internet and live streaming it's pointless to hold it back. I think the UK tabs will follow the show a lot. Simon is an easy headline maker for them and they are quite keen on Nicole too.

This is the sort of thing Simon will be dreading...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2029032/X-Factor-2011-Gary-Barlows-boring-replace-Simon-Cowell-Mr-Nasty.html

Unfortunately, I could see it coming a mile off. Gary is just too wishy washy for the show and BLAND is the very last thing they need on it. I think Gary may have been a good replacement for Louis if Simon had stayed but he isnt strong enough to carry the show. Even when Gary tries to be "nasty" its not working. Maybe they have some surprises in store but the very worst thing to happen to X Factor will be mediocrity. Its needs glamour, glitz, DRAMA and passion - and its lacking all of these (for me) this year. Simon bought a hard to define spark to the show and this year things are just "OK". Its not BAD - its still well produced and the judges are by no means awful, its just not very interesting....and Gary never was very interesting, even though is arguably one of our most talented musicians, he simply doesnt have the personality to anchor this show.

Exactly. Simon has built this show to be full of intrigue and controversy. As much as the public complain about auto-tune, 'Gamu Gate' etc, it's these talking points which everyone loves deep down. Ofcom can take the year off :D

I do like Gary, but the stats have always shown that Louis is the least popular judge, although there is a general public warmth for him. Simon, Gary, Tulisa and Cheryl would be the perfect panel for most. People always talk about how important Simon's presence is. He has an aura in that you notice him, even when he's not talking, you look for his reaction. People also want to please him, whether it be colleagues or contestants. Gary is not going to inspire the producers and even Dermot in that way.

There was a lot of PR spin behind the first "12m" ratings smash that was put out. Perhaps they did hit that at one point in the evening, but if so, the fact is that 2m tuned in and then turned over to...well, not much else.
  • conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would agree with the Daily Mail review. Gary is perfectly competent as are all the others on the panel, lets face it, anyone really in the music business could take a seat and do the judging. BUT... when its a prime time Saturday night show, that simply is not enough ! The focus is on the judges far more than the contestants and there has to be that chemistry with sparks flying and passion and drama about THEM. Its a core ingredient to the success of the show. For me.......Louis, Cheryl, Simon and Dannii had it !! It was a formula that worked, and its a pity its broken up.

At a time when several years into it, the formula was becoming just a tad jaded, to get rid of the the core group of people who made the show seems an insane decision.

Simon is needed on the show, he should be there, and its a great pity the scheduling could not allow him to do both.

On the Kerching issue, never to my dying day will I ever figure out why "operation fiancee" was needed in the first place. He was famous for years in the States and just draped another girlfrield on his arm and made do ! It seemed to work. Why the need for Defcon 5 behaviour and actually put the bling on her finger. He had more chemistry with Louis than he had with her !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the most telling point is that Simon obviously wanted Noel Gallagher as his first choice and 'head judge' - someone charismatic, credible and controversial. Gary doesn't even come close to Simon or Noel, who would probably have made great TV.

Some people are saying it's good there is no tension amongst the judges, but that will be a short lived opinion when the live stages become dull and doesn't it defeat the object of rival mentors anyway? Part of the excitement is the watching the judges reactions as their acts are saved from the sing off or Louis calling Simon out on his theme breaking tricks. X Factor is supposed to be FUN! Real fans have never worried that much about credibility, we were just proud that it was a fantastically entertaining piece of TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...... he simply doesnt have the personality to anchor this show.

That is it in a nutshell. Gary will make a brilliant mentor for his category, probably a better one then Simon was, but he just hasn't got the charisma or authority to anchor the show.

It shouldn't be all about the judges as we hear so often, but it is, the judges make or break the show, not the contestants. If this turns out to be a bad year for contestants, then they will really be in trouble, as the entertainment certainly won't be coming from the judges.

The show needs to be controversial, camp and explosive, I just have a feeling this year those elements will be missing or at least watered down.

I think if it starts to lose ratings we could well see Simon taking part in the show, possibly by satellite, not as a judge as such, but in some other capacity.

The next few weeks ratings will be very important, I have a feeling they will drop quite alarmingly, at least until the judges houses and lives start. Their saving grace just might be the fact there is nothing else on to watch on a Saturday night at the moment. Xtra factor was well down last week, I think that was a combination of a lack of interest in the main show and being up against the second night of Celebrity Big Brother.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    Sinitta tweeted a few days ago, that she had been off twitter because there had been visitors for a few days on Simon's yacht. Anyone think that it might have been Cheryl and Will-I-Am?
  • conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kakieanne wrote: »
    Sinitta tweeted a few days ago, that she had been off twitter because there had been visitors for a few days on Simon's yacht. Anyone think that it might have been Cheryl and Will-I-Am?

Would not surprise me ! She is in that neck of the woods after all. If it was them the only miracle is that Sinitta managed to keep her gob shut and not just tell everyone !
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MICH78 wrote: »
    I think the most telling point is that Simon obviously wanted Noel Gallagher as his first choice and 'head judge' - someone charismatic, credible and controversial. Gary doesn't even come close to Simon or Noel, who would probably have made great TV

Noel would have been epic! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    Noel would have been epic! :D

Too risky live for a family show. I would be amazed if he was actually seriously considered for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dexydal wrote: »
    Too risky live for a family show. I would be amazed if he was actually seriously considered for it.

I think you are thinking of Liam. He is the wild Gallagher brother. Noel is nowhere near as volatile. He would have been a great choice - but is a bit up his own bum crack to have wanted to lower himself to "mass market" entertainment. I can easily see why Simon would have considered him - he likes people who are edgier and would have been a darn sight more interesting than Borelow. Both the Gallagher brothers think they are amazing though ;) and Noel probably wouldnt have ever put anyone through as he wouldnt have thought anyone was as good as him :D .
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would be amazed if he would actually consider doing it, he detests X Factor and everything it stands for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are thinking of Liam. He is the wild Gallagher brother.

That is quite possible,:o have never been a fan of either of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice post Mich and I agree totally.

I think he has been in a bit of turmoil this last year - Im sure there is a lot more to it than we know, but even the standalone pressure of making US XF a hit must be enough to keep his stress levels extremely high. Its no wonder he wanted to take a back seat away from the cameras for awhile. As from the next few weeks, once again he will become "public property" and the tabloid spotlight will be zooming in on him.

One wonders how they will play the "Kerching Thing" as with a gazillion interviews lined up, at least a few of them are going to raise the question - and if its avoided, side stepped or ignored in every single one, then it wont be long before speculation mounts and some official stance will need to be given. As much as his PR might try to block "personal" questions, with live interviews it wont be easy to keep a rein on - and there will always be one tennacious reporter looking for a scoop.It will be very disappointing if ITV dont show XF USA the same way as Idol. Although I have a nasty feeling they wont somehow. Which, in this day an age of streaming and global media is completely ridiculous. Maybe a few years ago there would have been some merit in holding it back but not any more. They would be better off seizing the day with it rather than hold it back.

Although the uk press have been turning a blind eye to the missing fiance recently (down to Max no doubt ;) ) the USA seem to have jumped on the fact that something is amiss

http://www.accesshollywood.com/_article_52516

A few months ago i was given some information about the relationship with Mish but gave my word i would keep it to myself--which i am--sorry! but it wasn't very nice, i felt really sorry for him and it did explain why he looked the way he did last year and his difficulty in answering that marriage question
    I was squirming for him when that marriage question was asked but i am hoping we will be get an announcement before xfusa starts that there has been a parting of the ways :cry: and put an end to this whole sorry saga which has obviously taken it 's toll over the last year :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is it in a nutshell. Gary will make a brilliant mentor for his category, probably a better one then Simon was, but he just hasn't got the charisma or authority to anchor the show.

It shouldn't be all about the judges as we hear so often, but it is, the judges make or break the show, not the contestants. If this turns out to be a bad year for contestants, then they will really be in trouble, as the entertainment certainly won't be coming from the judges.

The show needs to be controversial, camp and explosive, I just have a feeling this year those elements will be missing or at least watered down.

I think if it starts to lose ratings we could well see Simon taking part in the show, possibly by satellite, not as a judge as such, but in some other capacity.

The next few weeks ratings will be very important, I have a feeling they will drop quite alarmingly, at least until the judges houses and lives start. Their saving grace just might be the fact there is nothing else on to watch on a Saturday night at the moment. Xtra factor was well down last week, I think that was a combination of a lack of interest in the main show and being up against the second night of Celebrity Big Brother.

Oooh careful now, wouldn't want you to be seen going over to the "dark side" again ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are thinking of Liam. He is the wild Gallagher brother. Noel is nowhere near as volatile. He would have been a great choice - but is a bit up his own bum crack to have wanted to lower himself to "mass market" entertainment. I can easily see why Simon would have considered him - he likes people who are edgier and would have been a darn sight more interesting than Borelow. Both the Gallagher brothers think they are amazing though ;) and Noel probably wouldnt have ever put anyone through as he wouldnt have thought anyone was as good as him :D .

I think Noel is great, he is talented and knows a lot about the music industry. He would have been a million times better than Borelow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Jane~ wrote: »
    Oooh careful now, wouldn't want you to be seen going over to the "dark side" again ;)

It will never happen ;)
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "My worst nightmare in the world would have been if I'd had to join a golf club and have miserable suck-up evenings with the boss," Cowell told GQ Magazine.

Poor baby, imagine Simon having to be nice to people :eek: Hm, anyway, he's coming to an age when it could be useful to be able to pretend that that thing he's driving is one of those golf thingies and not a mobility scooter :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    DE53 wrote: »
    Although the uk press have been turning a blind eye to the missing fiance recently (down to Max no doubt ;) ) the USA seem to have jumped on the fact that something is amiss

http://www.accesshollywood.com/_article_52516

A few months ago i was given some information about the relationship with Mish but gave my word i would keep it to myself--which i am--sorry! but it wasn't very nice, i felt really sorry for him and it did explain why he looked the way he did last year and his difficulty in answering that marriage question
    I was squirming for him when that marriage question was asked but i am hoping we will be get an announcement before xfusa starts that there has been a parting of the ways :cry: and put an end to this whole sorry saga which has obviously taken it 's toll over the last year :(

Simon was very public over here about their engagement at the very beginning. Introducing Mish on talk shows and going on about how she was 'the one'. It's only natural that the US press are going to be asking about her now and it's only going to get worse.

I respect the fact that you are keeping your word, but I am trying to read between the lines of your post. I get the feeling that Mish has something on him and she strikes me as the type of woman who could be a total b----! You mentioned that you hope that an announcement will be forthcoming...so I am hoping that there is a way for Simon to get out of this unhappy situation.