Options

Sir Rolf Harris

Comments

• Options
    fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is his best single. I think we should try and get it to Christmas number one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVIBs80ayKg
    Rolf's Christmas in The Sun single will be out on 7th December. See here:
    Rolf Harris and Status Quo are teaming up to release festive single 'Christmas In The Sun'.Harris, who topped the Christmas charts 40 years ago with 'Two Little Boys', penned the track about his memories of growing up in Western Australia and eating roast turkey in hot weather.
    Released on December 7, it will compete against the X Factor winner's single, which has claimed the top spot for the past four years.
    I agree, hope it gets to number one ahead of X-Factor.
  • Options
    GeejaayGeejaay Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fainéant wrote: »
    I agree, hope it gets to number one ahead of X-Factor.

So do I, but I just don't see it happening unfortunately. Exact sales figures are a pretty closely guarded secret, but last years X Factor winner sold more than the rest of the entire top 20 combined.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did he ever get cured of his Asthma? :p

And what happened to Jakes extra leg?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    'Sir' Bob Geldof is an Irish citizen. Never stopped him using the title!

He doesnt, it is the media that uses it with reference to him.

Sir Terry Wogan does use it, and that is because he took up British Citizenship
  • Options
    Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roger More wrote: »
    Did Rolf get caught buggering a wallabee when he was young? If not, why hasn't he been knighted yet?

Good question. Also, Bernard Cribbins. Tom Baker.

Heroes one and all. Men of reknown. Really good eggs.

PS going back to your admittedly rhetorical question.. Hmm. Could be. In which case what about Bernard? Doing the deed with one of his Wombles? And Tom? What did he REALLY do to or with Davros?

:eek:
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I was thinking it should be 'Sir Rolf' when he was on Paul o'Grady last night, he's such an amazing all-round entertainer with a great legacy behind him.

also, why do we still not have Sir Bruce Forsyth?
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    I was thinking it should be 'Sir Rolf' when he was on Paul o'Grady last night, he's such an amazing all-round entertainer with a great legacy behind him.

also, why do we still not have Sir Bruce Forsyth?

Because he isn't funny, remotely entertaining or even likeable.

Your right they are no impediments, they don't stop the BBC paying him a fortune so why would it stop him getting a knighthood.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Because he isn't funny, remotely entertaining or even likeable.

Your right they are no impediments, they don't stop the BBC paying him a fortune so why would it stop him getting a knighthood.

Yeah but that's your opinion, isn't it? If he wasn't 'remotely entertaining' he wouldn't have had a 50-plus-year career as an entertainer and still remain host of one of the UK's biggest light entertainment shows!
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    I think they should both be knighted. Great entertainers still.
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I got a few titles I like too call him.
  • Options
    quislingquisling Posts: 2,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that if anyone in entertainment deserves a K it's Rolf.

A true renaissance man, he's talented in so many ways, but he's never come across as anyhting but a warm, funny, genuine guy.
    I think we underestimate his talents sometimes because they're spread so wide and because he doesn't appear to take himself too seriously, but whether you see him as a musician, artist, presenter or anything else, he's excelled at all of them.

As for his charitable work, I know he's been patron of Fight For Sight (who do research into causes of and cures for blindness) for many years, and has donated many of his artworks to various causes.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    quisling wrote: »
    I agree that if anyone in entertainment deserves a K it's Rolf.

A true renaissance man, he's talented in so many ways, but he's never come across as anyhting but a warm, funny, genuine guy.
    I think we underestimate his talents sometimes because they're spread so wide and because he doesn't appear to take himself too seriously, but whether you see him as a musician, artist, presenter or anything else, he's excelled at all of them.

As for his charitable work, I know he's been patron of Fight For Sight (who do research into causes of and cures for blindness) for many years, and has donated many of his artworks to various causes.

That would have seemed to clinch it but I have found the one irredemable blot on his name which will forever preclude him from knighthood;

In his appearance on the BBC's Desert Island Discs, on which guests are invited to choose eight pieces of music they would wish to have with them if stranded on a desert island, Harris famously chose eight of his own records.

WIKI :eek:
  • Options
    tvfannytvfanny Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

OK, I'm going to stick my neck out here. Bob Geldorf has an honorary knighthood and really shouldn't be called Sir Bob. However, if people call him that ... fair enough.
    So, how come 'Sir Bob' isn't entitled but Sir Terry Wogan is?
    (Good question for a Christmas quiz, this).
    Well when Terry was born, Ireland was part of the Commonwealth. When Bob Geldorf was born it wasn't so Sir Tel can be called Sir Terry.

I am prepared to be proven wrong but that's what I read somewhere.
  • Options
    quislingquisling Posts: 2,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    That would have seemed to clinch it but I have found the one irredemable blot on his name which will forever preclude him from knighthood;

In his appearance on the BBC's Desert Island Discs, on which guests are invited to choose eight pieces of music they would wish to have with them if stranded on a desert island, Harris famously chose eight of his own records.

WIKI :eek:

SO? He obviously appreciates good music!
    :D

Fight for Sight - I first heard of them when my daughter was born prematurely and was a subject of one of their research programmes..
    http://www.fightforsight.org.uk/who-is-who/articles/patrons

I just googled 'Rolf Harris charity' and got a whole list of things he's done - Born Free, Relate, Friends Out There.....
    I think he definitely qualifies on the charuty front!

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    Believe it or not, Rolf will be 80 in March so it would be nice to see him honoured in some way.

I would certainly be pleased to see him receive a knighthood. I loved him on Animal Hospital :)
  • Options
    gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    Perhaps the Queen did not like his painting of her and vetoed his knighthood

I thought it was very good
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tvfanny wrote: »
    Well when Terry was born, Ireland was part of the Commonwealth. When Bob Geldorf was born it wasn't so Sir Tel can be called Sir Terry.

I am prepared to be proven wrong but that's what I read somewhere.
    when he was born the whole of Ireland was (an unwilling for most) part of Great Britain, not just the Commonwealth, however Sir Tel became a British citizen after his knighthood.
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    Harris was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) on 17 June 2006, having previously been created a Member (MBE) in 1968 and an Officer (OBE) in 1977.

On 26 January 1989, he was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia (AM)[19]

He already has a few awards. His parents emigrated to Australia from the UK, so he can claim British nationality.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting reading back some posts in this thread, now.

Just bumping this as I saw Rolf celebrates his 85th birthday in just over half an hour. Wish him many happy returns, if you wish, or just one not-too-unhappy return, into society, if you're minded so to do-or there again you might not be...
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Happy' birthday, Rolf.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wtf :eek:
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh innocent times! I was another who thought Harris was a first class chap, what a sucker I feel now >:(
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Oh innocent times! I was another who thought Harris was a first class chap, what a sucker I feel now >:(

Me too - so sad :(
    I dont feel I can play his songs anymore now >:(
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The deleted verse from Tie me Kangaroo would raise a few questions today

Let me *** go loose, Lou
    Let me *** go loose:
    He's of no further use, Lou
    So let me *** go loose

*** derogative term for native Aussies
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    Well I hope that he has learnt the error of his ways. He will hopefully come out a wiser and more careful person - and after serving his time and thinking on his actions. What a shame we cannot wish him a warm 85th birthday - that is sad to me.
This discussion has been closed.