Ken Dodd?

2»

Comments

• konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    realwales wrote: »
    The barrister was the late George Carmen QC, who was famous for that sort of thing. Essentially, his line of defence to the jury during the trial was: "Yes, he's guilty of tax offences, but don't you just love him?" It worked!

Yes indeed :D Interestingly the prosecution case was led by a bloke called Leveson. I wonder what happened to him ;).
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamtamara wrote: »
    That's the one. He always looked rough.:D That's not really true either though, more facially challenged.

'A face only a mother could love' was probably said.

To be fair, if he didn't have the funny teeth (damaged in a childhood bike crash) and kept his hair well-groomed, he would probably look fairly normal-possibly even good looking.
  • soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    jamtamara wrote: »
    My SIS said last time she saw his show she felt he shouldn't really be doing it anymore on account of the 'frailty' but I suppose he can't stop.

Probably true, but if you enjoy doing something, and it gives other people pleasure, why stop? Stopping might be a shorter route to the grave than carrying on.

My grandfather was forcibly retired at 65, a very fit man. He went through a couple of years of bleak depression, and then discovered his back garden (which for the previous 40 years had been nothing more than a large stretch of grass with a few shrubs down one side and bean poles down the other. Over the next few years he turned the back and front gardens into things of wonder, and actually won two prizes for them. Then he took on an allotment and started growing all manner of weird and wonderful vegetables, which he sold at church to raise money for a local hospice. He died of a heart attack, a week after his 95th birthday, while digging up some potatoes. Had he not discovered this hobby, I really think he would have been dead before 70.

I wouldn't be surprised if Doddy went the same way, only on stage rather than lifting potatoes.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    a colleague of mine who retired about 20 years ago is always going on trips abroad - things like camping in the Australian outback! Someone said to him that he should be taking things easy at his age as he has a heart condition. He replied "I don't mind dropping dead of a heart attack but I'll be buggered if I'm going to die of boredom!"

I think Doddy has the same outlook and long may he continue.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought this was going to be another Savilegate :p
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting old clip of him from 1975, here. A bit cringey when that woman in just a bikini came on, at the five minute mark-and the joke at 11.10, that a man's told a woman Gary Glitter's his brother, to impress her, now looks very outdated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B5v5CL9hx4

With hindsight, very embarrassing, as who would want to look like Gary Glitter. Yet in 1975 this would have been a topical reference, same as someone would want to look like Brad Pitt these days.
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soundcheck wrote: »
    Probably true, but if you enjoy doing something, and it gives other people pleasure, why stop? Stopping might be a shorter route to the grave than carrying on.

My grandfather was forcibly retired at 65, a very fit man. He went through a couple of years of bleak depression, and then discovered his back garden (which for the previous 40 years had been nothing more than a large stretch of grass with a few shrubs down one side and bean poles down the other. Over the next few years he turned the back and front gardens into things of wonder, and actually won two prizes for them. Then he took on an allotment and started growing all manner of weird and wonderful vegetables, which he sold at church to raise money for a local hospice. He died of a heart attack, a week after his 95th birthday, while digging up some potatoes. Had he not discovered this hobby, I really think he would have been dead before 70.

I wouldn't be surprised if Doddy went the same way, only on stage rather than lifting potatoes.
    a colleague of mine who retired about 20 years ago is always going on trips abroad - things like camping in the Australian outback! Someone said to him that he should be taking things easy at his age as he has a heart condition. He replied "I don't mind dropping dead of a heart attack but I'll be buggered if I'm going to die of boredom!"

I think Doddy has the same outlook and long may he continue.

Yes, I agree. Great stories. :):)
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting clip of Ken in 1963, being interviewed alongside the Beatles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZciEaUBmtrw
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read he saves money by, for Diddymen in his shows, getting drama kids to play them for free.

when i saw him last there was a woman in the audience who had been a Diddyperson - he said, did you get paid???
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Doddy will perform 'til he drops. His stamina is awesome.
    Read a short time back that he's still stretching his 1 1/2 -2 hour show into 3 hours plus.

People were more annoyed that by the time he finished the public transport had stopped :p
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Read a short time back that he's still stretching his 1 1/2 -2 hour show into 3 hours plus.

People were more annoyed that by the time he finished the public transport had stopped :p

They'd be able to catch the first bus in the morning :)
  • axlgodaxlgod Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You never guessed who's died?
    Who?
    Ken Dodd.
    Did he?
    No, Doddi.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    A relative of mine works at a local theatre, and they dread it when Ken comes to town! because his gigs last hours...and the staff can't go home until he's finished.

they try every trick in the book to try and bring things to a close on time, such as dimming the lights, closing the curtains a little bit, shutting the bars etc but he still keeps telling jokes for a few hours more!
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A relative of mine works at a local theatre, and they dread it when Ken comes to town! because his gigs last hours...and the staff can't go home until he's finished.

they try every trick in the book to try and bring things to a close on time, such as dimming the lights, closing the curtains a little bit, shutting the bars etc but he still keeps telling jokes for a few hours more!

I can imagine that. They should be paid extra for a night shift.

Won't it be sad when it is the final curtain? No-one lives forever.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    axlgod wrote: »
    You never guessed who's died?
    Who?
    Ken Dodd.
    Did he?
    No, Doddi.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Damn. I was just going topos t that. You beat me to it! :p
    Heard it from 'Not Going Out!'
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Don't forget there's an Arena from 2007 about Doddy tonight - BBC4 10.30pm
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    shanders wrote: »

I still find is Audience With... from the early 90's funny.It was a good show.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »

Thanks for the heads up, love Ken Dodd. :)
  • soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    I still find is Audience With... from the early 90's funny.It was a good show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1WDC6qngP4&feature=player_detailpage#t=457s

The income tax joke. Still makes me howl with laughter. The timing, body language and facial expressions are perfect.