Call the Midwife Series Three Thread,

Comments

• Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it since she was married with children.
  • macavity77macavity77 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    I doubt it since she was married with children.

I AM aware of that but I think the that series has diversified from the real life character of Jenny and is now creating its own plot lines.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Great episode last night. I agree though that Sheila's becoming a bit irritating. She's too sweet and saccharine and, at the same time, kind of railroading Patrick into the adoption thing when he was clearly showing reluctance about it. Even when she discovered the reason she was more angry that it would ruin their adoption chances, than sorry he'd gone through something so awful and hadn't felt able to share it.
    I too thought Patsy was alluding to being gay. I hope they don't start shoe horning in every issue possible now that they're making up the stories themselves. The last thing we need is another good drama descending into a glorified soap opera.
    It was nice to see Miranda get a decent storyline. And, as usual, Jenny Agutter was brilliant.
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great episode last night. I agree though that Sheila's becoming a bit irritating. She's too sweet and saccharine and, at the same time, kind of railroading Patrick into the adoption thing when he was clearly showing reluctance about it. Even when she discovered the reason she was more angry that it would ruin their adoption chances, than sorry he'd gone through something so awful and hadn't felt able to share it.
    I too thought Patsy was alluding to being gay. I hope they don't start shoe horning in every issue possible now that they're making up the stories themselves. The last thing we need is another good drama descending into a glorified soap opera.
    It was nice to see Miranda get a decent storyline. And, as usual, Jenny Agutter was brilliant.

Agree ++.

I suppose that even if you take CTM back to Jenny Worth writing her books, she wasn't going to write about the many situations which were just normal daily life (woman gets pregnant and nine months later, gives birth without a problem).

For purposes of the books and then series 1 and 2 (based on them), we get shown the stories which are more exceptional (Frank and Peggy, Concita with all her babies, the old soldier and his removal from the tenement building etc).

Now, with a bit more licence / need to write fresh material, albeit based on received stories from others, they have to construct scripts which deal with the issues of the time.

It's probably what helped construct their writing framework (assuming they have such a thing).

It then becomes a fine line between being a beautifully written, acted and shot portrayal of those times overall where the feel and atmosphere are what are important as opposed to a semi-comprehensive coverage of the issues of that time.

If the latter is followed to the letter, it might become a bit OTT with us viewers asking the question, 'what next?' But if the former approach were followed, there's be nothing to provide any significant hook and all we'd see, as Jenny mentioned, would be lots of people getting through their daily business with lots of cups of tea!

I love some of the phrases / insights written for the nuns. They keep coming out with stuff which I almost want to write down (mmm, wish I'd said that).

Jenny Agutter was superb, especially in acting just a slight discomfort at being shunned, albeit by a young mum with diagnosed mental health issues.

PS Not sure I like modern TV's habit of doing the 'Next time' clips. I will watch it regardless. Actually, it's a bit irritating to be teased with such clips as 'Jenny's got some news....' which as is often the way will be nothing more that something like she's given up sugar in her tea!!!

Last week, we were shown the clip suggesting issue between the nurses over the vicar and actually, it was a storm in a tea cup and resolved very quickly in the script.

BIG, BIG DRAMA COMING:o.....Actually, its not so big....Oh.:confused:
    Forum Member
    tennisman wrote: »
    Agree ++.

I suppose that even if you take CTM back to Jenny Worth writing her books, she wasn't going to write about the many situations which were just normal daily life (woman gets pregnant and nine months later, gives birth without a problem).

For purposes of the books and then series 1 and 2 (based on them), we get shown the stories which are more exceptional (Frank and Peggy, Concita with all her babies, the old soldier and his removal from the tenement building etc).

Now, with a bit more licence / need to write fresh material, albeit based on received stories from others, they have to construct scripts which deal with the issues of the time.

It's probably what helped construct their writing framework (assuming they have such a thing).

It then becomes a fine line between being a beautifully written, acted and shot portrayal of those times overall where the feel and atmosphere are what are important as opposed to a semi-comprehensive coverage of the issues of that time.

If the latter is followed to the letter, it might become a bit OTT with us viewers asking the question, 'what next?' But if the former approach were followed, there's be nothing to provide any significant hook and all we'd see, as Jenny mentioned, would be lots of people getting through their daily business with lots of cups of tea!

I love some of the phrases / insights written for the nuns. They keep coming out with stuff which I almost want to write down (mmm, wish I'd said that).

Jenny Agutter was superb, especially in acting just a slight discomfort at being shunned, albeit by a young mum with diagnosed mental health issues.

PS Not sure I like modern TV's habit of doing the 'Next time' clips. I will watch it regardless. Actually, it's a bit irritating to be teased with such clips as 'Jenny's got some news....' which as is often the way will be nothing more that something like she's given up sugar in her tea!!!

Last week, we were shown the clip suggesting issue between the nurses over the vicar and actually, it was a storm in a tea cup and resolved very quickly in the script.

BIG, BIG DRAMA COMING:o.....Actually, its not so big....Oh.:confuse
    d:

I agree. Also, last week, we were shown a clip of Peter accusing Chummy of being ashamed of their home. Again, this turned out to be a minor incident in their overall storyline but I really thought there was going to be some kind of awful rift in their relationship.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Also, last week, we were shown a clip of Peter accusing Chummy of being ashamed of their home. Again, this turned out to be a minor incident in their overall storyline but I really thought there was going to be some kind of awful rift in their relationship.

All this unnecessary anxiety being created within CTM viewers - I don't know (in the voice of Leonard Rossiters's Rigsby)!

Will we get a visit from Dr Turner who seems to be able to get to the scene every time he's called as if he's waiting just around the corner?
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So… Jenny's back.

Sigh.

And yes - Shelagh is driving me (and the poor doctor) nuts. No concern whatsoever to learn he has suffered from PTSD due to his experiences in the war. Just screeching at him about the bloody adoption which she has railroaded him into. She never used to be like this, did she?
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Will we get a visit from Dr Turner who seems to be able to get to the scene every time he's called as if he's waiting just around the corner?

I only said yesterday that Dr. Turner seems to always be on call. Surely there must have been more than one doctor about in the place. Poor man, no wonder he smokes all the time, he never has a day off and is on call for anything and everything!
  • GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this unnecessary anxiety being created within CTM viewers - I don't know (in the voice of Leonard Rossiters's Rigsby)!

It amuses me a bit how the major characters who are in relationships all seemed to be hooked up with the type of professionals who can conveniently and easily be used in many of the storylines - Shelagh with her doctor, Chummy with her copper and Trixie with her vicar. I'm not seeing Cynthia in a lasting relationship with a carpet fitter or a lorry driver any time soon :)

As for Patsy's relationships, the hint that she might be a lesbian went completely over my head, but thinking about that scene it wouldn't surprise me. At the time I just thought that she was struggling to find a way of telling Trixie politely that the vicar wasn't her cup of tea - something like 'He doesn't have enough of the things I like, and rather too much of the things I don't', but it did strike me that the expression on her face was a bit over the top if that's all she was saying.

I think the direction they're taking Shelagh in is a bit sad. The first time I realised that the life of a nun was not going to be for her was when she was pictured listening wistfully outside the door to the girls getting ready to go out on the town. She was never going to be a raving party animal, but I don't think she was tempted to give up a life dedicated to God in exchange for a life spent trying to impose her will on other people while dressed as the harridan headmistress from Hell.
    Forum Member
    I only said yesterday that Dr. Turner seems to always be on call. Surely there must have been more than one doctor about in the place. Poor man, no wonder he smokes all the time, he never has a day off and is on call for anything and everything!

And when he does get the odd minute to go home and put his feet up, there's Sheelagh nagging him about babies.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,547
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Jenny is such a goody twoshoes

I know it is her story but I cannot warm to her. She has no 'go' in her at all.

I agree with others that said about Patsy may be gay and Shelagh being horrid to her husband. She didn't seem bothered by what he told her.
    Forum Member
    kat180 wrote: »
    So… Jenny's back.

Sigh.

And yes - Shelagh is driving me (and the poor doctor) nuts. No concern whatsoever to learn he has suffered from PTSD due to his experiences in the war. Just screeching at him about the bloody adoption which she has railroaded him into. She never used to be like this, did she?

I don't mind her being back as long as she's not allowed to dominate the storylines anymore. Last night hers was just one of several stories, all with different characters at their centre, and I thought the balance really worked. But it was driving me mad to see strong and funny characters like Chummy and Trixie being shoved into the background while Jenny took over.
  • tiggosaurustiggosaurus Posts: 3,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So… Jenny's back.

Sigh.

I think people are being far too harsh here. She was holding back the tears when the woman from the Children's Society casually dropped that bombshell. After lashing out (understandably IMHO) at the fact that a stranger had to tell her something so important about her husband's past, she actually asked him "what happened to you?", again holding back the tears. He pushed her away by refusing to talk about it and she got upset again because she sees it as a major issue between them. She mentioned nothing further about it ruining their chances of adopting.

And he is hardly being railroaded into adoption - he was all for it until it looked like his big secret might come out because of it.

I think people are taking against the character because the writers have given her so little to be happy about, and no other purpose or motivation other than parenthood. She had a sense of humour and more than a little feistiness as a nun, so it's a shame she hasn't been able to display those traits this series.

Sort of off-topic, but I do wish people would avoid using stereotypical words such as 'harridan' and 'nag' when describing a female character they don't like. I don't know why, but it just strikes me as unnecessarily misogynistic (though I'm sure that's not the intent). It just bugs the heck out of me though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people are being far too harsh here. She was holding back the tears when the woman from the Children's Society casually dropped that bombshell. After lashing out (understandably IMHO) at the fact that a stranger had to tell her something so important about her husband's past, she actually asked him "what happened to you?", again holding back the tears. He pushed her away by refusing to talk about it and she got upset again because she sees it as a major issue between them. She mentioned nothing further about it ruining their chances of adopting.

And he is hardly being railroaded into adoption - he was all for it until it looked like his big secret might come out because of it.

I think people are taking against the character because the writers have given her so little to be happy about, and no other purpose or motivation other than parenthood. She had a sense of humour and more than a little feistiness as a nun, so it's a shame she hasn't been able to display those traits this series.

Sort of off-topic, but I do wish people would avoid using stereotypical words such as 'harridan' and 'nag' when describing a female character they don't like. I don't know why, but it just strikes me as unnecessarily misogynistic (though I'm sure that's not the intent). It just bugs the heck out of me though.

Good observations.

And rather like my point above about how the script must necessarily include things going wrong or the characters grappling with issues, so it is with the interactions within the relationships.

If we saw too much of them sitting around on Sunday afternoons doing nothing more than listening to the radio and making the odd comment, we'd soon be claiming it was anodeyne.

It's a Catch 22; if we see all of their lives, there wouldn't be enough to get to grips with but as we see the conflict / choke points due to the limitations of time, it may seem like certain characters may reflect disproportionate extremes of behaviour and/or emotion.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I

Yes , its the character we are taking against as this is a TV programme with characters in it !! Sheila is bugging me too with her whinging , its what we see on TV we are discussing not what she might be off air !!!
    I liked her when nun and was rooting for her when she and Patrick got together now her voice has become so annoying, I find her sickly sweet and yet hard at the same time .And I found her whole reaction towards Patricks past selfish and all about her and the adoption .
    I have to say I adore C the M and all the characters make it what it is , but am gone right off Sheila .Yes I know the writers write the script but we are discussing the character as written
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, it makes me a little uncomfortable as well, and I rewritten some of my thoughts before when posting about her to try and avoid it coming across that way. I've tried to be understanding of her character but I have really taken against her in this series.

I wouldn't want to just say 'she is such a nag' because I do think he has been dismissive towards her at times too, but she has become very difficult to stand. I'm finding her voice particularly grating and she is very overbearing with the doctor's kid.

I know he was all for the adoption route when they first discussed it but he has explicitly asked her to slow down and look at the other agencies (granted I don't like the way he said it) and has been clearly reluctant every time she brings it up (now we know why). Instead of her talking to him, she has deliberately ignored him and gone on full steam ahead with the whole thing, with little thought to anything else.

Her desire to have a baby has completely taken over her character. I know thats her plot line this series but I can't say I'm liking it.

I just don't feel she showed much compassion or patience when she discovered he had suffered from PTSD - particularly considering the woman used to be a nun and a midwife. Yes it would have been a shock but she barely gave him a chance to get his own feelings together before demanding to know everything then and there. He was clearly distraught that the adoption woman had brought it up and 'outed' him and instead of showing concern for him, and understanding that he might not have been able to talk about it then, she seemed to give him something close to an ultimatum.
    Forum Member
    I don't think people are being harsh towards Shelagh. If I knew someone like her in real life I would start to find them very irritating. At the start I thought her relationship with Timmy was sweet, but then it became very over bearing. Then her wish to adopt was perfectly understandable but she became so immediately obsessed with it that Patrick didn't even get an opportunity to explain there might be difficulties with it. She just went hell for leather at it. To be honest, I wish the scriptwriters had just let her have a longed for baby. I think there's been enough drama around Shelagh and seeing her happily settled into domesticity (which is what she wants, unlike Chummy) would have been nice.
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Her desire to have a baby has completely taken over her character. I know thats her plot line this series but I can't say I'm liking it.

She left the Order so that she could have a normal life, which included babies. She's been denied that chance, so it's obviously going to affect her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Yes , its the character we are taking against as this is a TV programme with characters in it !! Sheila is bugging me too with her whinging , its what we see on TV we are discussing not what she might be off air !!!
    I liked her when nun and was rooting for her when she and Patrick got together now her voice has become so annoying, I find her sickly sweet and yet hard at the same time .And I found her whole reaction towards Patricks past selfish and all about her and the adoption .
    I have to say I adore C the M and all the characters make it what it is , but am gone right off Sheila .Yes I know the writers write the script but we are discussing the character as written

No need to be patronising! I'm well aware what is being discussed and my post was a response to some of what I see as unfair and unnecessarily harsh criticism of the character, as well as my me expressing frustration with the way she has been written this year.

I get it, you don't like her. :o
  • looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whilst I agree that Shelagh has become a bit whingey, I can't yet agree that all she is thinking about is a baby.

She seemed more concerned that he hadn't shared this with her, than the fact that it might affect their chances of a child. I might be proved wrong next week and it be revealed that her distress is all about how this has upset their chance of adopting, but to me, it came over more as her being upset at him not sharing, and that she wanted to be part of that & help him deal with it.

As for Dr Turner always being on call, I would be more than happy if he was constantly on call to my house ;-)
    Forum Member
    looby383x wrote: »
    whilst I agree that Shelagh has become a bit whingey, I can't yet agree that all she is thinking about is a baby.

She seemed more concerned that he hadn't shared this with her, than the fact that it might affect their chances of a child. I might be proved wrong next week and it be revealed that her distress is all about how this has upset their chance of adopting, but to me, it came over more as her being upset at him not sharing, and that she wanted to be part of that & help him deal with it.

As for Dr Turner always being on call, I would be more than happy if he was constantly on call to my house ;-)

That's why we hate Shelagh really :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    She left the Order so that she could have a normal life, which included babies. She's been denied that chance, so it's obviously going to affect her.
    It would have helped if they hadn't glossed over that particular bombshell so quickly. She was heartbroken one week and the next her husband was telling her to put the baby's nightdress she'd made away in a drawer - i.e. shut all her feelings about her infertility away.

It's a bit like when they first talked about adoption. I honestly think they would have spent longer discussing getting a puppy for Timothy than they spent on that conversation!
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No need to be patronising! I'm well aware what is being discussed and my post was a response to some of what I see as unfair and unnecessarily harsh criticism of the character, as well as my me expressing frustration with the way she has been written this year.

I get it, you don't like her. :o

Gosh , There was no intention on my part to be patronising .I was simply making a point that we were discussing a character as portrayed this week and the last few .
    Its ok not to like some of them IMO
    Forum Member
    It would have helped if they hadn't glossed over that particular bombshell so quickly. She was heartbroken one week and the next her husband was telling her to put the baby's nightdress she'd made away in a drawer - i.e. shut all her feelings about her infertility away.

It's a bit like when they first talked about adoption. I honestly think they would have spent longer discussing getting a puppy for Timothy than they spent on that conversation!

Yes, the storyline has been very rushed. Normally it would take a while to come to terms with the bad news. Then a while discussing the options - not just 'gosh Timmy had a friend over after school and guess what, he's adopted. Now why didn't we think of that. I'll just pop out quickly and get an application form'.
    Also, the doctor isn't stupid and I really don't think he'd have let it get as far as it did without telling Shelagh about his PTSD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Gosh , There was no intention on my part to be patronising .I was simply making a point that we were discussing a character as portrayed this week and the last few .
    Its ok not to like some of them IMO
    Of course it is, and I was simply sticking up for her because I found some of the criticism (not necessarily solely from you) a bit harsh. :(

I wish they had developed her character differently this series, I really do. The Turnadette romance was such a big draw in series two and the writers haven't really done it justice in series 3 IMHO. I don't think they've even shared a kiss yet!