Options

Godzilla - New Trailer

Comments

• Options
    Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed it.

The characters are dull as hell but that didn't bother me. I went to see Godzilla wreck shit and fight monsters and be badass and that's what I got.

When Godzilla eventually shows up the reveal is brilliantly done. He's huuuuge and mean looking but can move at some speed when he wants to.
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it immensely even if it did drag a bit with the human interaction before the big guy eventually shows up to take on the MUTO's

Some subtle references to
    King of the Monsters, Godzilla's debut date of 1954 and also a tip of the hat to Mothra in one scene

Godzilla himself looking much better than in 1998 and when the fighting starts it is truly amazing
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thought the first hour was great but aaron taylor-johnson was so wooden. it ended up being quite boring.

elizabeth olsen is such a good actress, she was wasted in this film.

i find with films like this with a HUGE antagonist the humans get lost as they can't 'relate' to the monster - hence jurassic park had the human sized raptors and clover field (a much better film i agree) had those parasite things that chased them in the subway. the odds are too stacked in the monster's favor when it's so big so you can't have the cast getting too close.
    even though AT-J seemed to spend half there film lying on his back staring right into godzilla or the mutt's eyes - and didn't get harmed.
  • Options
    TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are much better mutants on Channel 4 right now,,,
  • Options
    MacLovinMacLovin Posts: 2,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just back from the cinema and I have to be totally honest and say I thought it was absolutely dreadful.

I was completely bored by the half hour mark and it only got worse from there on in.

3/10 for me.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MacLovin wrote: »
    I'm just back from the cinema and I have to be totally honest and say I thought it was absolutely dreadful.

I was completely bored by the half hour mark and it only got worse from there on in.

3/10 for me.

I didn't think it was as bad as 3/10 because I thought the Godzilla scenes were terrific but I do understand what you say to a degree. Its rare I come out of the cinema disappointed because I only go to see what I think I will like, but I was starting to get there with this.
    The human side of the film was pretty poor imo.
    Much preferred Pompeii.
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I agree the Godzilla scenes where fantastic but I found the editing was bloody awful. Every time a fight would start they would cut away to a boring scene. I paid to see Godzilla not a borefest which is sadly what this was.

7/10 for the brief action sequences

0/10 for everything else.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Godzilla (2014) gave a 6 Was an OK film but like the Roland Emmerich one more the cinema was quite busy for the screening to at 8 last night even on the hottest day here.
  • Options
    Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bryan Cranston was
    killed off way too early
    , AT-J went in to rather boring default beefcake mode. Likewise, Elisabeth Olsen, Sally Hawkins and to an extent, Juliette Binoche, are all fabulous actresses that were wasted in their roles.

Godzilla/MUTO fights were standard Hollywood fare IMO, and the whole film for me can be summed up with Ken Watanabe staring into space, looking puzzled and then taking off his glasses in sheer astonishment.
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it. I'd only seen one trailer and was worried when the first Muto appeared because I thought they had bastardized Godzilla, I wanted to applaud when the real deal finally showed up.

Brilliant action, excellent destruction, not too fussed about any of the humans really, I went for Godzilla and he was great. 8/10
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Whatever your opinion, the big fella's chewing up the box-office.

@$100m overseas and a monstrous US $93m opening ($20m above expectations) means he's off to a roaring start.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member

@$100m overseas and a monstrous US $93m opening ($20m above expectations) means he's off to a roaring start.

Those are opening figures way higher than I expected. Perhaps they could have pushed it a little further with the budget in this case. We'll surely see a sequel as Warner Bros. is in need of another big franchise.
  • Options
    paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this this afternoon as an excuse to get out of the sun for a couple of hours(bit hungover from last night TBH!)

After a decent start I thought it really lost its way to the extent that ,not knowing anything about Godzilla beforehand,I didn't have a clue what what was going on!

Although to be fair to myself it didn't help that there was some idiot in there with two kids who didn't stop talking right through the whole film with the rest of the audience "ssshh ing"them! It was quite difficult to concentrate!
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Made the mistake of rewatching the 98 Godzilla at the weekend. Abysmal, worse even than I remembered and after I managed to force myself to finish it (took most of the day) I realised why - It`s a comedy replete with pointless comedy Frenchmen. Emmerich plays it for laughs right down to the strapline, "Size Does Matter". David Arnold is about the only contributor to escape with any dignity intact. It`s astonishing to think this ever made it off the page.

If you have the fortitude I suggest people watch it as a palette cleanser before seeing the new version, as I`ve done. Hopefully this will mean I can look past any faults the 2014 version has, grateful that it`s nothing like Emmerich`s abortion.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Those are opening figures way higher than I expected. Perhaps they could have pushed it a little further with the budget in this case. We'll surely see a sequel as Warner Bros. is in need of another big franchise.

Yes I would be astonished if we don't see at least another.
  • Options
    DizzleDizzle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a disappointing film. All the technical aspects were great, but everything else was just terrible. Boring story, hardly any action, wooden characters, horrible "acting", poor editing, clunky dialogue.

The cinema was almost full and when we were all walking out at the end I heard nothing but negative feedback.

Given the publicity and hype the film has had, anything less would be considered a failure. Be prepared for huge drops in the coming weeks now that the poor reviews and word of mouth is out.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I wonder why Bryan Cranston did something like this? He's a great actor and surely he doesn't need to do this kind of trash for money?!
  • Options
    mattlewis86mattlewis86 Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree the Godzilla scenes where fantastic but I found the editing was bloody awful. Every time a fight would start they would cut away to a boring scene. I paid to see Godzilla not a borefest which is sadly what this was.

This was exactly my problem with the film! Now I very very rarely go to the cinema because I don't really like going, but I grew up watching all the Godzilla films and have always been a huge Godzilla fan so I decided I couldn't really wait to see this film. I went yesterday afternoon and even went premier class as thought I'd watch this in style lol.

However as Margo said the thing that really irritated me with the film was whenever a fight would start they would cut away to people talking, happened a few time and I was like argh!!!! >:(. I enjoyed the last half an hour though.
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    I didn't get this at all. I loved the military stuff; boats, fast jets, etc. I loved the monsters. I loved the action scenes.

I didn't understand half the storyline. The acting was awful. There were far too many cheesy scenes.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    ritch wrote: »
    I thought it seemed a bit overly dramatic. I cant see how you can make a serious film about a big lizard

They made a serious film about a man dressed as a bat. Well, it was meant to be serious.
  • Options
    deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite enjoyed the film and was quite surprised by how much of the film isn't shown in the trailer so when the MUTO show up it's a nice surprise.
    When I walked out of the film my main complaint about the film was:
    When the Army/Air Force are fighting around San Fran they have made a big point about the EMP pulse and that any troops will have to walk but they still had fighter jets in the air which predictably fell out of the sky
  • Options
    sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it, thought the pace was fine and liked the way it gradually showed more and more as it progressed. Classic Jaws style filmaking, you could argue that halfway through the human character just kinda faded in to the background but I think us humans would be pretty insignificant once these 1000 foot monsters start having a barney.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member

Seems to be a recurring observation both here and elsewhere.

Perhaps the $160m budget (fairly standard and in no way excessive in the tentpole league, btw) doesn't buy as much Godzilla action as you might think.

A sequel has been greenlit, of course. So they might well ramp it up a bit all round.
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My elder son is here on a visit and he went to watch it this afternoon.
    He claims it is pitiful,and not even as good as the much maligned
    Roland Emmerich version!
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The humans let the thing down, very underdeveloped script. All that money and the lead actor is meh, go figure. The basic story was very sound, old fashioned even, the big guy was the best actor in the film.