Changing mobile broadband provider

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I currently have a T Mobile dongle for mobile broadband on my laptop. I'm thinking of going with another provider at the end of my contract. Would this be complicated/a problem in setting up another program on my laptop or would i just uninstall the current T Mobile 'web and walk' program and then follow the set up of my new provider of mobile or broadband?

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uninstall old, install new. Job done

It is that simple :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Uninstall old, install new. Job done

It is that simple :)

Thanks Chris, i was hoping that was the case :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of idle curiosity... :)

Who were you planning to go with? I was looking into mobile broadband last summer and the best deal I found then was with 3. They seemed to be offering the best data allowances at the time. I think T-Mobile were doing something like 500MB a month for the same price more or less as I got from 3 for 5GB!

Though I see things may have changed a bit since then and T-Mobile are offering what seem to be much better data allowances than before. Mind you I'm not sure if you can still get anything like the 1 month rolling contract @ 5GB for about 15 quid that I am paying for. Only had a quick look but most contracts seemed to tie you into 24 months for that sort of money/data allowance.

Still 3 have so far proven to be pretty reliable. Not yet failed to connect and get a pretty consistent 7-8Mb/s link from them with the odd excursion into double figures if the wind is in the right direction :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of idle curiosity... :)

Who were you planning to go with? I was looking into mobile broadband last summer and the best deal I found then was with 3. They seemed to be offering the best data allowances at the time. I think T-Mobile were doing something like 500MB a month for the same price more or less as I got from 3 for 5GB!

Though I see things may have changed a bit since then and T-Mobile are offering what seem to be much better data allowances than before. Mind you I'm not sure if you can still get anything like the 1 month rolling contract @ 5GB for about 15 quid that I am paying for. Only had a quick look but most contracts seemed to tie you into 24 months for that sort of money/data allowance.

Still 3 have so far proven to be pretty reliable. Not yet failed to connect and get a pretty consistent 7-8Mb/s link from them with the odd excursion into double figures if the wind is in the right direction :)

I'm with T Mobile at the moment on a 3GB plan now at £8.00 a month after my loyalty discounts - started at £12.00. It's a decent service but the quality of Skype calls, especially video ones are bad, so i'm thinking of shopping around. I might see if the MiFi wireless pointer is any better.

Along the lines of the same question, do you know if i would have to uninstall my current program to use MiFi? I think with MiFi you just turn the device on and wait for it to detect a signal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The MiFi devices use WiFi to connect to your laptop or whatever. So as far as your laptop is concerned they are just another WiFi hotspot or router to pick from the list of connections. And of course MiFi devices have the advantage that you can use them with WiFi equipped tablet devices and Smartphones etc.

Hence no additional drivers or anything installed on your laptop. So you can keep your existing dongle if you really wanted. Though if you are cancelling the contract there doesn't seem much point keeping the T-Mobile stuff on the laptop anyway if it is never going to be used again. Especially if it installs some stuff that loads with Windows and sits in the background all the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The MiFi devices use WiFi to connect to your laptop or whatever. So as far as your laptop is concerned they are just another WiFi hotspot or router to pick from the list of connections. And of course MiFi devices have the advantage that you can use them with WiFi equipped tablet devices and Smartphones etc.

Hence no additional drivers or anything installed on your laptop. So you can keep your existing dongle if you really wanted. Though if you are cancelling the contract there doesn't seem much point keeping the T-Mobile stuff on the laptop anyway if it is never going to be used again. Especially if it installs some stuff that loads with Windows and sits in the background all the time.

Thanks Chris.